{SOLVED} How locked is encrypted

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
dehawkinz
Level 2
Level 2

{SOLVED} How locked is encrypted

Post by dehawkinz »

I know this may seem a odd question, and definitely a case of cart horse bolted and looking at stable locks now, but I was going to ask anyway :)

I have multiple installations of Linux on my pc
Currently I have
Linux Mint 18 MATE 32-bit
Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon 32-bit
Linux UberStudent 32-bit

At present none of them are encrypted, one reason being that I tend to cross-access them - eg read files in UberStudent from Linux Mint 18. I understand that encrypting after the event is more tricky than encrypting when installing, but going forward - if I encrypt the /home folder can I still access it from outside if I have the password?
example: I install Mint 19 and encrypt the /home folder, would I be able to access it from Mint 18 with the right password?
Last edited by dehawkinz on Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Re: How locked is encrypted

Post by WharfRat »

dehawkinz wrote: example: I install Mint 19 and encrypt the /home folder, would I be able to access it from Mint 18 with the right password?
The simple answer to your question is yes, but not just with the password.

An encrypted /home has to be mounted with mount.ecryptfs and requires a wrapped-passphrase file located in /home/.ecryptfs/$USER along with the user's password.

You could use ecryptfs-recover-private which will mount the encrypted /home to a temporary randomly generated folder name in /tmp.
ImageImage
dehawkinz
Level 2
Level 2

Re: How locked is encrypted

Post by dehawkinz »

OK, gotcha :)

thanks

Return to “Newbie Questions”