Is there an easy way to get a VPN ?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
doubletwo
Level 3
Level 3

Is there an easy way to get a VPN ?

Post by doubletwo »

.............I would like a VPN, but when i look how to do this, it looks way too complicated for me

Im running Linux mint 17.3 mate 64 bit
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Is there an easy way to get a VPN ?

Post by JoeFootball »

Here's a recent article on The Best VPN Services of 2016.

Joe
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "doubletwo",

FYI: It would help everyone here to have more information about your system's setup. If you bring up a console terminal window, and type in "inxi -Fxzd", you can then copy and paste the results back here and that should provide enough information for us.

Yes, there are easy ways to get, install, and use a VPN provider's servers for secure and anonymous Internet connections.

Some are "system wide" VPN services, meaning that once you are connected to a VPN server, any Internet accessing software on your computer will be secure and anonymous. Then there are browser add-ons and plug-ins which provide easy installation and are easy to use, like the very nice free and or paid for ones "Hoxx" and DotVPN", but they only provide secure and anonymous Internet browsing through your browser, and other Internet applications you use on your system are using your local Internet connection and are not secure or anonymous.

Regarding system wide VPN: The excellent and low-cost VPN provider "Private Internet Access (PIA)" has an installation program, as do other VPN providers. There are a some free VPN providers as well, "vpnbook" or vpngate", but they do require manually setting up their connections, and they are usually slower, have some limitations, and do not have as many world wide server locations available to connect to.

But, It is not really that hard to setup a VPN connection to a server in any edition of Linux Mint, whether you are manually setting it up through the Network Manager Icon in your system tray panel, or using an installation program from the VPN provider. There are many good posts in this forum for doing this, if you search for them. The secure "openVPN" software using its super secure "openVPN" protocol is already installed in all editions of Linux Mint. I highly recommend that you use the "UDP" openVPN servers that are available with most VPN providers.

How to Establish An OpenVPN Connection in Ubuntu 14.04
http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... untu-1404/

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

I'ts easy. But depends for what you need a VPN.
If it's just for privacy, go for a free browser VPN plugin. You don't need a system-wide VPN, and for average use you don't need a paid service. Good free VPN I've tried:
Windscribe (capped at 10GB for month)
Hoxx VPN (excellent, I use this, mostly)
SetupVPN (quite good)
Browsec VPN (good, but their privacy policy is fuzzy)

Moreover, Opera Developer has a built-in free VPN.

As I said before, it depends from your habits and goals, and also from the country where you live. I some countries like China and Iran, I suppose, there are more issues and risks browsing "unautorized" sites.
Active Distros in my computers: LM21.1 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce)
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

As above, depends on what you want it for. If serious privacy protection is wanted, it takes some work and possibly a paid plan. If it's just using a browser to access some geographically restricted video, etc. then the Opera browser will do it nicely and for free with a simple click - I've changed to "Germany" and got advertisements in German, so assume it works. (Opera has been sold to a Chinese firm, so I'm a little leery, but supposedly the VPN is a Canadian service - due diligence on you.)

http://www.opera.com/computer/linux

An alternative is a Firefox or Chrome extension called Hola, an Israeli company. the trade-off is that it may "borrow" some bandwidth from you when your connection is idle.

https://hola.org/firefox

I haven't used Opera or Hola lately, but both worked fine for the simple purpose of getting USA media services that are blocked here in Canada. They are not a substitute for a serious VPN data tunnel.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual boot LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook). Testing LM21.1 Cinnamon and XFCE Live for new Lenovo desktop.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Private internet access, https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/ is cheap and had an app for Linux. Install it, enter your id and password and you are all good.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

xfrank wrote:If it's just for privacy, go for a free browser VPN plugin.
Privacy and free vpn in the same phrase is just not possible. :wink:
doubletwo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by doubletwo »

Thanks everyone for your replies. There’s a lot on information for me to digest. I shall look at all these options over the coming days

Once again thankyou

Return to “Beginner Questions”