Mate 18.0 backup Appearance

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fred19

Mate 18.0 backup Appearance

Post by fred19 »

As the title, having spent hours altering here and there I don't want to lose the setting.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Mate 18.0 backup Appearance

Post by JoeFootball »

Clonezilla will create a backup image of your entire hard drive, thus preserving every current aspect of your installation.

Joe
fred19

Post by fred19 »

Thanks, I already use Clonezilla but just want to backup Appearance as a simpler option and in case I want to do a fresh install.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Back up your complete home inclusive the hidden files and folders,
fred19

Post by fred19 »

Cosmo. wrote:Back up your complete home inclusive the hidden files and folders,
Isn't there a folder for the Appearance settings?

If I copy across the home folder to a new install won't it put settings in for other programs?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

The settings for the OS are distributed on several places, so it is not only a matter of a single folder.

And yes, copying the complete home copies also the settings for the programs. Is this a failure?
fred19

Post by fred19 »

Thanks for your reply.
I have Xfce 32bit Clonzilled on my main computer, I am playing with three spare hard drives with Mate 64bit to get a setup I like to transfer to the main.
Some program setups I have altered I like and some I don't so I don't want to transfer every setting. Plus I have never had much success transferring the home folder, there always seems to be something that doesn't transfer correctly.

i have gone to the old fashioned system and written the settings down with pencil and paper. : :)
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

fred19 wrote:there always seems to be something that doesn't transfer correctly.
You have to do the copy job from inside of the account ins question never use sudo in this case, and you must after completed copying immediately log off and back into the account.

Regarding program settings: They are in many cases stored in folders inside of the hidden folder .config (in your home) or as separate folders and files (usually also hidden) directly in your home. The file names are usually obvious, so you can delete the not wanted files / folders or - if you want to be careful, rename them (e.g. following the pattern oldname.bck).

The pencil / paper method is of course an alternative ..... :roll:
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

For experimenting , it is always preferable to set up a virtual machine .Undoing any changes is a snap using snapshots.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb

Return to “Beginner Questions”