Should I to get rid of Win 10

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Silver Surfer
Level 3
Level 3

Should I to get rid of Win 10

Post by Silver Surfer » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:07 am

Hi Guys,
Just bought a new Acer laptop on Black Friday at a very advantageous price. It has Win 10 on it, but I want to get rid of that as I already have another laptop with W 10 on which I use a usb memory stick version of linux. Would it be better to install Linuxmint 18 Cinnamon on this new one as a permanent OS, and remove W10, or would I be better off leaving W 10 on it, and installing Linux as well. Don't forget I'm geriatric and need easy options.

Silver Surfer
Geriatric Refugee from M$ to Linux Novice LM KDE 18.1 Serena on Asus X550C 64bit Laptop: Intel core I7-3537U, 2GHz, 8Gb DDR2, 1TB HDD. qtox
Plus Acer 5920G 32bit Laptop. Linuxmint KDE 18.3 Sylvia, 250Gb HDD Intel core 2 Duo processor T7300, 2Gb RAM.

coffee412
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Should I to get rid of Win 10

Post by coffee412 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:19 am

Keep in mind that you are asking in a Pro linux forum :)

I would dump windows10 and put linux mint with the mate desktop on it. My thinking is, You already have one with windows 10 so then you can use the other one with Linux Mint.

It really comes down to what you prefer. Anyways, That is what I would do.

coffee
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
IceWarp 12.0.3 * Mint 18.3 * RAID 1/5 * OpenVPN * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
************* Get Your Linux on! ***************

earthlingkc
Level 3
Level 3

Post by earthlingkc » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:25 am

If you decide to trash Windows, might make an image of entire disk then compress it and save somewhere. Also first install a program that grabs the Windows key as you could later do a fresh Windows install on Virtualbox under Linux and use that license key if on the same laptop. You'll still have to reactivate under Virtualbox with phone method using "slui.exe 4" command.

To get Windows product key...
http://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-reco ... roduct-key

This shows how to convert original disk to VM. Step 1 to backup (if that's all you need), Step 2 to convert original disk to VM (or can use key for a fresh Windows install).
viewtopic.php?f=231&t=234332

Pierre
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Pierre » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:46 am

how technical are you ?.

my suggestion, is usually to pull the original HDD / SSD,
& replace it with another < new > drive.

then install Linux onto that drive,
whilst keeping the original, for any warranty purposes.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:47 am

Something to consider is the warranty period on your machine.

Should some hardware fail on your machine and you call support and tell them you run Linux all you will hear from then on is Music.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Silver Surfer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Silver Surfer » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:07 am

Hi altair4,

Didn't think about warranty. I suppose they could be vindictive if you weren't using their paid for Windows 10 that they put on the computer.
Have you had experience of this, and do you think they would also retaliate if you put an added OS together with the existing Windows 10.
One of the reasons I am disillusioned with M$ is the power they are trying to use to control us all!

Silver Surfer
Geriatric Refugee from M$ to Linux Novice LM KDE 18.1 Serena on Asus X550C 64bit Laptop: Intel core I7-3537U, 2GHz, 8Gb DDR2, 1TB HDD. qtox
Plus Acer 5920G 32bit Laptop. Linuxmint KDE 18.3 Sylvia, 250Gb HDD Intel core 2 Duo processor T7300, 2Gb RAM.

earthlingkc
Level 3
Level 3

Post by earthlingkc » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:11 am

If able to swap original drive w/out breaking warranty is something to consider. Or backing up original Win drive as a disk image then restoring if really needing to would take care of warranty concerns.

Silver Surfer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Silver Surfer » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:15 am

Hi Pierre,
What a good idea to replace the drive!!
Trouble is I would probably lose all the savings I made buying the new laptop on Black Friday, but I will look into the cost.

Thanks Pierre,

Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Silver Surfer » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:21 am

Hi xneo,
Yes I had thought along those lines of making a backup copy, but nervous about my degree of knowledge on how to do it successfully.
The brain is not so active these days, and whoops! there goes a new computer.

Silver Surfer

earthlingkc
Level 3
Level 3

Post by earthlingkc » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:32 am

Silver Surfer wrote:Hi xneo,
Yes I had thought along those lines of making a backup copy, but nervous about my degree of knowledge on how to do it successfully.
The brain is not so active these days, and whoops! there goes a new computer.

Silver Surfer
You can boot from a Mint USB stick, use the Linux "Disks" app, select the Windows drive and select Create Disk Image from upper right corner menu. Then save to a USB drive with enough space if you have one. Can then compress and save somewhere.

If needing to restore Windows, you do the same as above but select "Restore Disk Image" from the Linux Disks app. Could also restore Windows disk image if selling/giving away computer at a later time.

This is the cleanest way if it's difficult to replace internal drive or if it would break warranty - can be difficult with some laptops, especially the tablet hybrids.

Silver Surfer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Silver Surfer » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:44 am

Hi Xeno,
Thanks for the info. Trouble is the drive to be copied is 1Tb so presumably I would need another at least 1Tb to copy it to.

Silver Surfer

administrollaattori
Level 15
Level 15

Post by administrollaattori » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:46 am

altair4 wrote:Something to consider is the warranty period on your machine.

Should some hardware fail on your machine and you call support and tell them you run Linux all you will hear from then on is Music.
Warranty pertains only hardware, not software.

Reorx
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Reorx » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:14 am

If I were you, I would probably shrink the Win10 partition on the new machine and install Mint along side Win10... Because of how malware prone Win OSs are, if you use the other machine with any degree of regularity, it is only a matter of time before it gets slimmed by malware. When it does, you will have a back up Win10 machine in the new computer...

If you decide to dual boot the new machine, consider creating a data partition where data can be seen/used from either OS.
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM19 Cinnamon.

Image Image

TooMuchTime
Level 4
Level 4

Post by TooMuchTime » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:40 pm

I'm going with Pierre on this one. They're staying up nights making large hard drives for laptops so the prices are pretty good. A 500GiB hard drive is $40 and a 1TB hard drive is $60, both on Amazon.

The advice from Xeno is also good. Save all of the relevant information about the Windows 10 install and then you can use it in a Virtual Box on the Mint HD.

Tomgin5
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Tomgin5 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:01 pm

I found and bought 3-250 gig SSD off E-Bay for $36 each. Swap out the new/old drive with an SSD and run LM on it. If you need Windex a simple swap and you are in business.

Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:26 pm

Silver Surfer wrote:Hi Xeno,
Thanks for the info. Trouble is the drive to be copied is 1Tb so presumably I would need another at least 1Tb to copy it to.

Silver Surfer
Actually -- NO. I use a third party FREE product known as Macrium Reflect, and the space required to image off the drive (using the high-compression option), is typically around 1/2 the space that is USED. So, if you have a 1TB drive, and it only has 50GB space used, MR will do a backup just fine on a 32GB USB stick.

Macrium Reflect (MR) provides a FREE version that can be used to image and restore partitions or entire drives: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR)
2) Run MR and choose the option: "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows" to write a full backup to an external drive or USB stick
3) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

As to the Warranty, the PCs are only warranteed for use with the Original OS that comes preinstalled. If you remove or change that, it is the OEM's call (not yours) regarding whether or not they then choose to support it under warranty -- and my experience is that they will choose NOT to support it.

Good Luck

xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:31 pm

I bought also a laptop some days ago: I deleted windows 10 and did a fresh install of LM18 on the whole disk.
Linux everywhere. Active Distros in my many computers: LM17.3 (Cinnamon, Xfce); LM18.1 (Cinnamon,Xfce); LMDE 2 (Mate), MXLinux (Xfce), Debian 9 (Xfce).

Pierre
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Pierre » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:12 am

there is plenty of folks who aren't terrifically interested in the warranty, anyway.
or they may just wait a week or two, to check that nothing is amiss,
& then they just kill the Microsoft System, completely.

But, me I'm a tad more conservative: I'd save the original system,
- just in case .. .. .
and HDDs have gone way down, in price, these days.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:30 am

Pierre wrote:there is plenty of folks who aren't terrifically interested in the warranty, anyway or they may just wait a week or two, to check that nothing is amiss,
& then they just kill the Microsoft System, completely.

But, me I'm a tad more conservative: I'd save the original system,
- just in case .. .. .
and HDDs have gone way down, in price, these days.
My general criterion is doing the same as you, but only if the computer is expensive (above $250), but if it's cheap, I simply erase the disk and install Linux on it. After checking for a couple of days if it's OK, of course.
Linux everywhere. Active Distros in my many computers: LM17.3 (Cinnamon, Xfce); LM18.1 (Cinnamon,Xfce); LMDE 2 (Mate), MXLinux (Xfce), Debian 9 (Xfce).

earthlingkc
Level 3
Level 3

Post by earthlingkc » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:58 am

Might want to make sure you have the Windows Product Key before wiping for a latter install whether as a VM or physical disk. A lot of newer computers/laptop don't provide a printed key.

You can get the key within Windows before wiping it...
http://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-reco ... roduct-key

Can force a reactivation via phone method when installing the key with Windows command: slui.exe 4

Return to “Newbie Questions”