Should I to get rid of Win 10

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
earthlingkc
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Should I to get rid of Win 10

Post by earthlingkc » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:58 am

Might want to make sure you have the Windows Product Key before wiping for a latter install whether as a VM or physical disk. A lot of newer computers/laptops don't provide a printed key.

As mentioned before, you can get the key within Windows before wiping it...
http://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-reco ... roduct-key

Can force a reactivation via phone method when installing the key with Windows command: slui.exe 4

Silver Surfer
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Should I to get rid of Win 10 [Solved]

Post by Silver Surfer » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:47 am

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your responses.
A lot of sound advice you've given me.
In view of all the laptop bargains there is going to be around, what with Black Friday, and the sales will all start soon, I've decided to buy another laptop within the next month or so.
Then backup the original M$ X and then either install LinuxMint as a dual boot system or maybe scrub M$ X and make it a linux only machine.
In the meantime thanks to you all. The Linux fraternity has always been very helpful to Linux Newbies like me.

Silver Surfer
Geriatric Refugee from M$ to Linux Novice LM KDE 18.1 Serena on Asus X550C 64bit Laptop: Intel core I7-3537U, 2GHz, 8Gb DDR2, 1TB HDD. qtox
Plus Acer 5920G 32bit Laptop. Linuxmint KDE 18.3 Sylvia, 250Gb HDD Intel core 2 Duo processor T7300, 2Gb RAM.

Citizen229
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Citizen229 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:15 pm

You should be able to just save the product key and wipe it. The product key is what really matters. You can obtain that version of win10 by whatever means you desire later. the key is the important part for activation. I did this with my win7pro I purchased. I only used the purchased disks once for use. I used a torrented copy for future reinstalls. Then used my code key for validation. I did not want to risk scratching my $200 disks.
Folding@home Project
Team Linux Mint-76140
PM for info on how you can help. Or visit viewtopic.php?f=58&t=243792
Seeking GPU's, i5/7/9's , Ryzens.

OceanMan7
Level 1
Level 1

Post by OceanMan7 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:39 pm

I've done the following with Win 7. I've not tried it with Win 10 yet. This was also on a computer using a 2.5" drive, but should work on any...
1) I bought a larger drive than my original but having the same form factor (including thickness.) I mounted it in an external USB3 drive carrier. (USB3 will speed this up considerably over USB2.)
2) boot Linux from a USB stick and duplicate the original drive (assume it's sda) onto the new drive (assume it's sdb) using:

Code: Select all

dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb
This takes some time since you're copying ALL blocks of the original disk onto the new one.
3) Swap the duplicated drive for the original one. Set the original drive aside and keep it to swap back in should you have a warranty claim.
4) Boot Mint from the USB stick again. Run grub and confirm that the new drive has the original image. It should also show extra room at the end (grub is wonderful at figuring out how a disk should work.)
5) Start to install Mint. When the installer asks how to store it on disk, Choose "alongside the original OS" It will also install grub into /dev/sda
6) After all was done, I rebooted and grub allowed me to boot to both OSs.
7) Depending upon which versions of Mint and hardware you're using, you may have to figure your way around UEFI. Usually you can find the solution to that through a web search. But the installer of a modern version of Mint is quite good at leading you through it all.
8) Windows may gripe about the changed hard drive, but you can do a phone-in validation as described above.
9) Good luck.
10) Errr, how do I turn of that !@#$@!#$ smiley?

chiefjim
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chiefjim » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:12 pm

How would you go about this with a dual boot laptop? Windows has 3 partitions; recovery, boot, data. That doesn't take a whole lot of space as I rarely ever use the Windows portion. Mint occupies the majority of the 500g drive.

Is there a way to just image the Windows portion? That would result in a much smaller file size and not take the laptop another 2 days and 13 hours to complete.
Desktop:
Mint-18.3 Mate 64 bit
MSI B85M-E45
Intel G3258
Crucial Ballistic Sport 8GB DDR3 1600
2TB HDD WD Black 7200rpm

Laptop:
Acer Aspire AS5552-5898
Mint-17.3 Mate 64 bit
AMD Phenom II Triple-Core N830
4GB Memory DDR3
500GB HDD 5400rpm

Silver Surfer
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Should I to get rid of Win 10 [Solved}

Post by Silver Surfer » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:41 pm

Hi Guys,
I’ve finally taken the plunge,and decided Linux is for me! I’ve ditched my usb stick version I created to experiment with Linux, and purchased a new 500Gb HDD from Scan.co.uk, for my old Acer 5920G laptop, which had Windows Vista Home Premium (No longer supported), Cost me £47.00 including delivery and I’ve installed Linuxmint 18 Sarah on the new drive. Much cheaper than buying another computer
I’ve firstly copied original Documents & Photos onto a memory stick so I can use them on the “New installation”. I’ve labelled the old drive clearly so it can be reinstated, and stored it away.

Having taken the advice from several members of the forum, this seems to be the easiest way to convert, rather than trying to dual boot Linux with Windows.
The “old” Acer laptop is now running smoothly and seems quite happy with Linuxmint as it’s only OS.

Thanks to the guys who suggested this option.

Silver Surfer
PS. How do I update my signature info to show a different computer
Last edited by Silver Surfer on Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Geriatric Refugee from M$ to Linux Novice LM KDE 18.1 Serena on Asus X550C 64bit Laptop: Intel core I7-3537U, 2GHz, 8Gb DDR2, 1TB HDD. qtox
Plus Acer 5920G 32bit Laptop. Linuxmint KDE 18.3 Sylvia, 250Gb HDD Intel core 2 Duo processor T7300, 2Gb RAM.

Reorx
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Should I to get rid of Win 10 [Solved}

Post by Reorx » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:32 pm

Silver Surfer wrote:...
Silver Surfer
PS. How do I update my signature info to show a different computer?
EditSig.png
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM19 Cinnamon.

Image Image

Silver Surfer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Silver Surfer » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:26 am

Thanks Reorx »,

All fixed! As a Newbie, still trying to find my around Linux.

Silver Surfer

chiefjim
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chiefjim » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:46 am

Great time to consider a USB docking station. All those files on the original hard drive instantly available. Pretty fair chance you'll be able to boot from it as well should the desire occur.
Desktop:
Mint-18.3 Mate 64 bit
MSI B85M-E45
Intel G3258
Crucial Ballistic Sport 8GB DDR3 1600
2TB HDD WD Black 7200rpm

Laptop:
Acer Aspire AS5552-5898
Mint-17.3 Mate 64 bit
AMD Phenom II Triple-Core N830
4GB Memory DDR3
500GB HDD 5400rpm

Silver Surfer
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Silver Surfer » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:11 am

Hi chiefjim,
Sorry not to respond to this earlier. Didn't understand usb docking station.
Thought it was just a charging station! Now find it is totally different. Yes sounds like a good idea. Would enable it still being possible to use my old Windows Vista system as well, using the old HDD.
Had a look at some online suppliers. They seem to come in an assortment of prices and most work on usb level 3.0. My old Acer 5920G only has usb level 2.0, unless"usb 3.0 docking stations" are backwards compatible.
Must try and get some more info on them.
But thanks for the idea.

Silver Surfer :roll:

z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:32 am

earthlingkc wrote:Might want to make sure you have the Windows Product Key before wiping for a latter install whether as a VM or physical disk. A lot of newer computers/laptops don't provide a printed key.
That's because the license key in Windows 8 and 10 is embedded in the BIOS. No need to enter a key to activate Windows no matter how many times you re-install.

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:00 am

that's provided, that the new machine is activated ONLINE FIRST .
- then it's hardware is registered within the Microsoft server(s).
once that is done, then, sure you can re-install that version of windows, anytime.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:35 am

This is not my case (I don't use Windows) but almost 90% of the people I know don't care at all about license, they just download Windows and install it with whatever key they found in the net. This is pretty normal here in Mexico.
Sadly, the zero cost of MS products (MSOffice is also largely pirated) kills one of the best arguments in favor of Linux/FOSS.
Linux everywhere. Active Distros in my many computers: LM17.3 (Cinnamon, Xfce); LM18.1 (Cinnamon,Xfce); LMDE 2 (Mate), MXLinux (Xfce), Debian 9 (Xfce).

MMcD488
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MMcD488 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:48 pm

Silver Surfer wrote:Hi chiefjim,
Sorry not to respond to this earlier. Didn't understand usb docking station.
Thought it was just a charging station! Now find it is totally different. Yes sounds like a good idea. Would enable it still being possible to use my old Windows Vista system as well, using the old HDD.
Had a look at some online suppliers. They seem to come in an assortment of prices and most work on usb level 3.0. My old Acer 5920G only has usb level 2.0, unless"usb 3.0 docking stations" are backwards compatible.
Must try and get some more info on them.
But thanks for the idea.

Silver Surfer :roll:
If it is listed as being USB 3.0 it should work with 2.0 (it'll just be slower) since most USB 3.0 devices still use the same old Type-A connectors as USB 2.0. Just make sure it isn't listed as "USB Type-C" as this is an entirely different plug that is smaller and not compatible with USB 2.0.
This Article talks about the speed differences between the different generations of USB (and Thunderbolt) and also has an explanation and few pictures of some the different connectors for comparison. I hope you find the info useful.
New Linux enthusiast
Old Mint box - Dell XPS m140 running Mint 18.2 32-bit with XFCE and LXQt

tekknj
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tekknj » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:36 pm

Silver Surfer wrote:Hi Guys,
Just bought a new Acer laptop on Black Friday at a very advantageous price. It has Win 10 on it, but I want to get rid of that as I already have another laptop with W 10 on which I use a usb memory stick version of linux. Would it be better to install Linuxmint 18 Cinnamon on this new one as a permanent OS, and remove W10, or would I be better off leaving W 10 on it, and installing Linux as well. Don't forget I'm geriatric and need easy options.

Silver Surfer
Yeah, I see your point but in the price of that PC is the cost of that Windows license. If you delete Win10, it's like paying for something and never getting any value for it. In the future, head to your local mom-pop computer store and have them custom build you a machine/laptop without the OS install. You'll save money.

Return to “Newbie Questions”