Nvidia geforce 720 driver install breaks system

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
komninosk

Nvidia geforce 720 driver install breaks system

Post by komninosk »

Hello just finished installing Mint 18 cinnamon and after updating and installing nvidia driver from additional driver tab system refuses to open.if this question already being answered please point me to it.Thanks in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Nvidia geforce 720 driver install breaks system

Post by Pjotr »

Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
komninosk

Post by komninosk »

Thank you for your answer.The system halts at unlocking sda3/crypt where while i type the password nothing happens.How can i edit the grub entries without access to the system?tried through recovery mode and nothing cant edit.
OldSchool40

Post by OldSchool40 »

I recently had problems when I reinstalled Linux Mint 18, I tried the 367 driver for my 730 card-but ended up going to the 340 driver which worked just fine.
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

"How can I edit the GRUB entries without access to the system?" GRUB and the kernel are not in the encrypted space. It has to be like that so that BIOS can find GRUB and GRUB can find Linux. You specify a one-off 'nomodeset' before the kernel runs by holding down a shift key and editing the GRUB command list, or more simply use "Advanced Options" -> "Recovery mode" from the boot menu and choose "resume".

"Nvidia geforce 720 driver install breaks system" Well it might, but not LUKS, which is where you are getting stuck. I suspect your passphrase has symbols in it, or non-ASCII characters, and the kernel is using the default EN-US keyboard layout? In any case until you type-and-enter the correct password whatever you have in the encrypted section is simply not available.

Return to “Beginner Questions”