Viruses on Linux Mint

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Tech Freak
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Viruses on Linux Mint

Post by Tech Freak » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:38 am

@pjotr and Cosmo:
Reading your replies I feel like I'm a public toilet taking up a lot of crap. It really looks more some (few) people here really believe that other users must follow and swallow their opinion. Any other opinions, point of views are not accepted. Sounds like North Korean/Chinese/Turkish practices.

Good luck with that, I step aside from this topic and help the normal/regular folks here with their problem and provide them the best solution I can give without forcing them to swallow my (baseless) opinion.

Good luck with that!
Cheers!

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:46 am

Tech Freak wrote:It really looks more some (few) people here really believe that other users must follow and swallow their opinion. Any other opinions, point of views are not accepted.
How more clearly can it get expressed than I did: You do not have to follow anybody's opinion. So far your statement is simply wrong.
But you have to accept, that anybody might disagree with your opinion. If you do not, you do exactly, what you reproach to others.

Jaydemir
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Jaydemir » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:53 am

I feel like I just missed some neck-beareded flame war, but I'll chime in regardless:

The virus topic has been done enough. As long as you don't operate under the root user and intentionally install anything sketchy you should be fine. If you DO plan on doing anything sketchy, use separate hardware, or a live CD installer desktop (on an actual CD). You're much less likely to get a virus through everyday use (browsing the web, games, documents) because nothing installs itself on Linux without your permission, and due to market share reasons, Linux viruses just aren't that common in the wild.

Are there still threats to your privacy and security on Linux? Yes. Why? Third party plugins, especially on browsers. Things like java applets and flash have their own security risks. Tracking cookies, bad browser extensions, and so on can all compromise you regardless of what platform you use, because most people do everything online these days. Some people also question Ubuntu's choice of having Amazon spy on everything you do and bake it right into the OS, but that's ONE distro, and it isn't this one.

Shabby
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Shabby » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:54 am

Tech Freak wrote:@pjotr and Cosmo:
Reading your replies I feel like I'm a public toilet taking up a lot of crap. It really looks more some (few) people here really believe that other users must follow and swallow their opinion. Any other opinions, point of views are not accepted. Sounds like North Korean/Chinese/Turkish practices.

Good luck with that, I step aside from this topic and help the normal/regular folks here with their problem and provide them the best solution I can give without forcing them to swallow my (baseless) opinion.

Good luck with that!
Cheers!
That's harsh;I see no abuse or vilification in their posts plus they,and others,clearly state that their opinions are formed from personal experience. :?
Of course everyone's entitled to their own opinion but I don't see any "crap" being dished out or forced upon anyone.
Mint 18.1 Xfce 64 bit - Novatech Isys Pro:Intel Q6600,4GB RAM,Nvidia GeForce 7600GT

Lucap
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lucap » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:56 am

Two things guaranteed to start an argument on this forum , Viruses and Bleachbit. :mrgreen:

pdhunter1987
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pdhunter1987 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:30 am

Ease up @tech freak.

Pjotr has made an excellent and resourceful website.
He is a very welcome person in this community.

What have you done? :roll:

Also for the record, about anti virus programs, I don't care if it's Norton, avast, McAfee or AVG, they all use up loads resources, sometimes ruining windows systems.

But honestly who cares? I don't even use Windows, I use Linux.

Instead of trying to place such emphasis on how viruses are such a priority how about being helpful and like you said, helping people.
Playing tennis in this thread by quoting each other explaining how wrong pjotr's information is, really isn't helping anyone.
-----------------
pdhunter1987
Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon 64bit
sudo apt install LinuxMint

ZakGordon
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ZakGordon » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:51 am

pdhunter1987 wrote:Ease up @tech freak.

Pjotr has made an excellent and resourceful website.
He is a very welcome person in this community.
Indeed. As a new Mint user (it's been about a year now i guess?), i found Pjotr very helpful to have around, and his site also help me get set up with Mint, and now i spread the news about Mint around as my experience of it has been great (speaking as a longtime Windows user).

I do use Bleachbit though, and that is even after heeding Pjotr's warnings about it AND fully appreciating his advice and help here, so i do not feel 'forced' to do anything anyone says here, least of all from Pjotr. It is my machine, my Mint install and my mistakes to make :)
Laptop overheating issues? Check links below:
TLP
itsfoss guide
If none of the above fixes the issue, moving from Cinnamon to XFCE will give around -5 to -10 degrees C improvements.

Weeping Cookie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Weeping Cookie » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:31 pm

Lucap wrote:Two things guaranteed to start an argument on this forum , Viruses and Bleachbit. :mrgreen:
Sorry, that wasn't my intention :lol: I didn't know it was that controversial.

@Pjotr
Oh wow, I didn't know that was you who wrote that website. I followed your advice on first 10things to do after installing Linux mint. Great help, thanks.

BTW, I disabled the IcedTea Java plugin on my browser, does that increase my security?

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:44 pm

Weeping Cookie wrote:BTW, I disabled the IcedTea Java plugin on my browser, does that increase my security?
It prevents Java from being executed in your web browser. Java is being plagued by frequent insecurities.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Weeping Cookie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Weeping Cookie » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:51 pm

Yeah I think I'll keep it disabled, I don't think I use anything in my browser that requires it to be enabled anyway.

So based on what I've read around here and on the forums, its agreed upon that anti-virus isn't really necessary on linux mint, and that the best defense is keeping the system up-to-date, and not downloading anything shady or adding shady repositories?

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:57 pm

Weeping Cookie wrote: So based on what I've read around here and on the forums, its agreed upon that anti-virus isn't really necessary on linux mint, and that the best defense is keeping the system up-to-date, and not downloading anything shady or adding shady repositories?
I think that sums it up nicely.

I also like using firejail as an extra layer of security.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

Weeping Cookie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Weeping Cookie » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:09 pm

Oh yeah, I currently use that on my browsers.

Level 5
Level 5
Location: Surfing a multidimensional wave of celestial intent

Post by 1.618 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:27 pm

First up, Anti-Virus usually gets elevated priviliges so it can access files to scan where a normal user cannot read the same file, this makes anti-virus a great target for attacks rather than a better defence because it has deep system access.

Having anti virus running 24/7 alongside your o/s will use more resources, it's monitoring the whole system looking for files that are being re-written and other activities, depending on your system this may or may not cause a problem. a six core box with 16g of ram is going to stress less than a 10 year old laptop with one 1.4 ghz processor and 750mb of ram

If you want anti-virus by all means install one, if you're sending files to windows users it's courteous to scan first and you can eliminate yourself as a part of the chain should a virus appear. but for just linux then you will probably never encounter the need for one. There's no wrong or right so whatever works you...

pjotr contributes a lot to this forum, he offers his time freely to help other members and I have yet to see anyone complain or suggest his practices are of nefarious intent so you really should give the guy a chance, he won't give you stuff to break your box or risk giving you commands if there is a high potential for screwing your system. Of course you have every right to question anything you like and it's good that people question stuff but in this case you have no need to worry, just relax and enjoy the fact you're no longer a slave to the m$ monster :D

pdhunter1987
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pdhunter1987 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:06 pm

Weeping Cookie wrote: Sorry, that wasn't my intention :lol: I didn't know it was that controversial.
:lol:
Your all good, you will be alright without an anti virus program but in any case if you want to use one, you can.

I hope someone helped you here Weeping Cookie. :D
-----------------
pdhunter1987
Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon 64bit
sudo apt install LinuxMint

Lucap
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lucap » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:03 am

@ Pjotr

LOL , You're famous , Did you know that you are mentioned on the Bleachbit forum? :mrgreen:

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:07 am

Lucap wrote:@ Pjotr

LOL , You're famous , Did you know that you are mentioned on the Bleachbit forum? :mrgreen:
I can remember having seen something like that... By my old friend N., if I remember correctly. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Lucap
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lucap » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:13 am

I was just over there looking to see if there are any new test versions and your name popped up in a thread. :P

scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:00 pm

Tech Freak wrote: Agree with the part that executable (Windows) files doesn't work on Linux. But what happens if you send an infected .exe file from your Linux machine to a Windows user??
Such worry only makes sense if you happen to be the IT guy in a company and both the file server which happens to be a Linux machine running SAMBA and the user desktops running Windows indeed are your responsibility, e.g. you'll be the one having to re-install any Windows desktop if anything bad happens... :roll:

So yeah, you might just as well make life easier for yourself and also run a scanner on top of the file server. Just in case... :idea:

BUT ...

In a private setting?? I kind of don't see a scenario where I'd ever pass on a Windows virus in such a private setting? As a Linux user ... why would I even download any *.exe files from anywhere? Those are executables for a platform I don't have and don't use. And if I don't download such things (why would I?) how could I pass them on to any Windows user?? So having my Linux systems at home run anti-virus software seems highly redundant then.

turtlebay
Level 5
Level 5

Post by turtlebay » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:08 pm

It could be argued that it's up to all Windows users to check their own incoming files and programs for infections.

scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:55 pm

turtlebay wrote:It could be argued that it's up to all Windows users to check their own incoming files and programs for infections.
Exactly!!

... at least in a private setting ...

Return to “Newbie Questions”