Backing Up

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Myz
Level 1
Level 1

Backing Up

Post by Myz »

Hiya Folks,
I have installed Mint 17.2 June 2016 and via the terminal backed up the install, using
"Created Monday 18 July 2016

You will need to be in the root directory
sudo su
then cd /
this is to check that you actually are
then once in the rot directory type the following command code:
tar cvpf backup.tgz --exclude/proc --exclude/lost+found --exclude/backup.tgz --exclude/mnt --exclude/sys --exclude/home/hendrik/Music --exclude/Pictures /

this will create a backup file.tgz in the root directory. if the backup is going to be on a usb or external drive that is connected then you will also need to exclude by adding this to the line
--exclude/media /hendrik/(and then add here what ever the device name is)"

This I got from somewhere on the forum? and it created the back up no worries.

I did a system update via the update manager a couple days ago, and it caused a fault with the boot up, once logo of mint came up the screen went black?? I managed to boot in safe mode and then tried the following as advised on the forum
"when you restore the backup code the following:
sudo su
cd /
then code:

tar xvpfz backup.tgz -c /
hit enter and wait till backup restore is completed.

do not forget then to re make excluded directories
mkdir proc
mkdir lost+found
mkdir mnt
mkdir sys
mkdir home/hendrik/Music
mkdir home/hendrik/Pictures"

This did not work , and received various error messages from I was not able to perform the task due to missing parameters etc to the USB Hard drive where it was stored is not mounted despite it showing on the desktop and I could access it.
From what I gather the line "tar xvpfz backup.tgz -c /" might be incorrect.

I am a newbie as said only started using Linux June 2016 and up till now I thought all was going well!

So 2 questions if I may?

1. Is that line correct to unzip the backup, and if not what should it have been?

2. What do most people use for backing up that is simple for the novis and guaranteed to work?

After a few hours of trying to sort, I ended up managing to do a clean install from a cd. So now I am back at square one, and need to back up so I do not loose any thing.

Sorry for the long story, I hope it makes sense and look forward to your responses.
regards
Myz

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Backing Up

Post by Pierre »

have tried using the inbuilt LM backup:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2jSMgE91L8
that came with your Mint system ?.

whilst others prefer LuckyBackUp, which is in the repository
8)
and is just a GUI front-end for Rsysnc
- it will compress your partition into an archive, that you can store on some ext HDD.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Dyfi
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dyfi »

I would have done the restore from your live cd/USB. It sounds as if you were trying to restore a running system.

An excellent tar tutorial can be found via this link.
http://www.aboutdebian.com/tar-backup.htm

Myz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Myz »

Hiya Pierre
Thank you for reply, yes I had tried the mint backup, but it halts all the time at around file 29000 + and then just hangs there for ages, nothing happens, so that is why I tried another , and a topic on Ubuntu said to use the terminal.

Do you know whether the tar line to unzip was correct at all?

thanks
Myz

Myz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Myz »

Hiya Dyfi,
thank you for your reply, I have no idea what I was trying to do newbie here, was just following the details from the Ubuntu site.

I will have a look at the link you sent thanks very much
regards
Myz

Return to “Newbie Questions”