SOLVED -- APT cache corrupted - ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
magicchance
Level 3
Level 3

SOLVED -- APT cache corrupted - ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE

Post by magicchance »

I am getting ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE flags on almost every web site I visit. YouTube and Facebook are OK, but almost everything else shows trouble. I am lucky to be able to reach this site right now. Also, the LM Update Manager shows an APT cache is corrupted warning.

If this is some sort of malware, I haven't done anything different or new with my system, or visited any sketchy web sites. But I do use a public wifi system.

Please help!
Last edited by magicchance on Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Re: APT cache corrupted - ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE

Post by Tomgin5 »

Your last sentence might be the clue.
I have seen this problem but not experienced it myself with Linux.
If it happened to me, I would reinstall from a "LIVE" USB LM 17.3 drive. I have seen something similar with "LIVE" DVD's using LM 18. They work fine at a different location or a wired connection. :?
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

You might like to try this first:

Click on the Update Manager icon, go to Edit, Software sources, give password when asked. Click on Maintenance and then on Fix MergeList problems. Then click on Update the cache.

If that does not produce the desired result, change your download mirrors temporarily.

Reboot.
Linux Mint 20.1 Cinnamon
Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

magicchance wrote:But I do use a public wifi system.
Possibly this is the culprit.

Boot a live system and check if the web-sites in question and the mirrors are reachable with it.

Do you have the chance to connect with a different network?
magicchance
Level 3
Level 3

Post by magicchance »

Solved. It was a broken mirror. It took 3 tries, but I was finally able to connect with a mirror that could provide a full and correct update. Since it took so long and seemed to affect more than one mirror, seems to me that what ever it was, was not attacking me but was attacking the system and the mirrors at the source.

As for my situation, after 3 attempts to update and a couple of reboots, I am back to full service and internet access is restored.

Return to “Newbie Questions”