Pavucontrol in Linux Mint

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Weeping Cookie
Level 2
Level 2

Pavucontrol in Linux Mint

Post by Weeping Cookie »

Should I get pavucontrol in linux mint? I was following this guide https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... management and it said to get pavucontrol. However, when I did get pavucontrol, for some reason my media wouldn't play in VLC or other media players like SMPlayer. So I uninstalled and then my media worked. Then I read this https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... ject/sound and it said pavucontrol doesn't work well in Linux mint so its kind of confusing.

So what exactly is pavucontrol, and do I need it?

Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Pavucontrol in Linux Mint

Post by Flemur »

However, when I did get pavucontrol, for some reason my media wouldn't play in VLC or other media players like SMPlayer. So I uninstalled and then my media worked.
pavucontrol can be handy sometimes (Edit: but I'm not sure you "need it"). Are you using Mint 18? Did you try changing pavucontrol's settings to get the sound back?
Then I read this https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... ject/sound and it said pavucontrol doesn't work well in Linux mint so its kind of confusing.
The wording at that link is rather confusing; I think it says it doesn't work correctly in Mint 18. I used it in Mint (13 and 17) with no problems but since then stopped using pulseaudio. FWIW, pavucontrol is in the repos for Mint 18.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Weeping Cookie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Weeping Cookie »

Yeah, I'm using Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon. When I did have it installed I tried opening the application through the start menu, however, it wouldn't open up, it would just be stuck. So I couldn't even try changing settings. So that is when I uninstalled it. I'm not sure if I need it or not but in one those articles I linked earlier it says its a handy application to have around, although I'm not sure.

Btw, what is pulse audio?

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

Weeping Cookie wrote:Btw, what is pulse audio?
As I understand it, Pulse is in between your applications, and ALSA (which provides your sound drivers). It used to be that it was a real pain if you wanted to play audio from more than one source simultaneously. I remember having one audio source playing, clicking to start another audio source, and nothing would happen until the first audio source finished playing, then the second source would start. Pulse makes it easy. Here's the description from Synaptic:
PulseAudio, previously known as Polypaudio, is a sound server for POSIX and
WIN32 systems. It is a drop in replacement for the ESD sound server with
much better latency, mixing/re-sampling quality and overall architecture.

These are some of PulseAudio's features:

* High quality software mixing of multiple audio streams with support for
more than one sink/source. May be used to combine multiple sound cards
into one (with sample rate adjustment).

* Wide range of supported client libraries. ESD, ALSA, oss, libao and
GStreamer client applications are supported as-is. Native PulseAudio
plug-ins are also available for xmms and mplayer.

* Good low latency behaviour and very accurate latency measurement for
playback and recording. Ability to fully synchronize multiple playback
streams.

* Network transparency, allowing an application to play back or record
audio on a different machine than the one it is running on.

* Extensible plug-in architecture with plug-ins for jackd, multicast-rtp
lirc and avahi, just to name a few.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Return to “Newbie Questions”