How do i install flash player on linux mint 18 cinnamon ?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
inkoalawetrust
Level 2
Level 2

How do i install flash player on linux mint 18 cinnamon ?

Post by inkoalawetrust » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:42 pm

I downloaded it but the instructions on the tar.gz are way too complicated since i barely even know what the terminal is let alone use it.
if you think you have a bad computer then think that someone has a worse one.

Try'n 2 Learn
Level 4
Level 4

Re: How do i install flash player on linux mint 18 cinnamon ?

Post by Try'n 2 Learn » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:11 pm

i use 17, so i don't know for sure.

adobe & pepperflash is probably already located in 2 places for you, should you desire to install either.

menu>adiministration>software manager.
or
menu>adiministration>synaptic package manager.

that is probably how it is layed-out, all ready for you to install after a search & a couple clicks from the repo. mint is pretty user friendly :D

happy minting & happy holidays. :D

Tomgin5
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Tomgin5 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:22 pm

As Try'n 2 Learn said. No terminal required in Cinnamon.

inkoalawetrust
Level 2
Level 2

Post by inkoalawetrust » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:24 pm

Try'n 2 Learn wrote:i use 17, so i don't know for sure.

adobe & pepperflash is probably already located in 2 places for you, should you desire to install either.

or

that is probably how it is layed-out, all ready for you to install after a search & a couple clicks from the repo. mint is pretty user friendly :D

i would do that but linux mint was busy freezing from a single video i was listening to to the point i had to hold own the power button to hard reset the pc then reboot on linux mint try like 10 times to put the password i wanted to have for this forum and then realise it forced me to use one i dont even remember and have to find it THEN put it so i can type this all that because linux mint is an useless os that comes with literally nothing and breaks by the slightest overuse of resources for more than 10 minutes which windows 7 doesnt

i wish windows 7 wasnt infected so much i cant even play videos

absque fenestris
Level 5
Level 5

Post by absque fenestris » Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:16 pm

Quite secret, but I tell you: Windows 11 - needs some updates - but then INCREDIBLE
Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia (Mate) 32-bit - Acer D250 Netbook (Intel Atom N270, 2 GB RAM, 120 GB SSD)

Try'n 2 Learn
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Try'n 2 Learn » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:02 pm

inkoalawetrust wrote:

or

i would do that but linux mint was busy freezing from a single video i was listening to to the point i had to hold own the power button to hard reset the pc then reboot on linux mint try like 10 times to put the password i wanted to have for this forum and then realise it forced me to use one i dont even remember and have to find it THEN put it so i can type this all that because linux mint is an useless os that comes with literally nothing and breaks by the slightest overuse of resources for more than 10 minutes which windows 7 doesnt

may i suggest you separate each individual issue as best you can, & post those concerns individually, in their respective board index categories. you are among some insightful and competent members, as well as mint developers themselves.

can you submit a link with the video troubling you? are there any videos that play with your current OS configuration?

inkoalawetrust
Level 2
Level 2

Post by inkoalawetrust » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:50 am

Try'n 2 Learn wrote:
inkoalawetrust wrote:

or

may i suggest you separate each individual issue as best you can, & post those concerns individually, in their respective board index categories. you are among some insightful and competent members, as well as mint developers themselves.

can you submit a link with the video troubling you? are there any videos that play with your current OS configuration?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pjc4htVxWfw this is the video but every other video worked fine

Lucap
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lucap » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:23 am

Unless i'm thinking of Ubuntu isn't there a one line APT Get NonFree command that you type in terminal for flash install?

inkoalawetrust
Level 2
Level 2

Post by inkoalawetrust » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:09 pm

Lucap wrote:Unless i'm thinking of Ubuntu isn't there a one line APT Get NonFree command that you type in terminal for flash install?
i have no idea

grizzler
Level 5
Level 5

Post by grizzler » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:34 pm

The terminal command

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install adobe-flashplugin
should get you the most recent version (24.0.0.186 - yes, that's the new NPAPI version, in case anyone is wondering...).

Provided you have Canonical's Partner repository in your sources list, of course.

garbunus
Level 1
Level 1

Post by garbunus » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:20 am

The best solution is:

sudo apt update
sudo apt install browser-plugin-freshplayer-pepperflash

fbachofner
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fbachofner » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:18 pm

garbunus wrote:The best solution is:

sudo apt update
sudo apt install browser-plugin-freshplayer-pepperflash
Great tip!

Usually installing pepperflash also seems to install chromium. [ Pepperflash seems to be yet another tool developed by Google (and Adobe) to push people to Chrome and/or Chromium -- so much for killing off Flash. ]

More details on your method at http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... m-firefox/, indicating that this should work with Firefox.

I'll give it a try next weekend.
various Intel NUC machines and an HP Pavilion DM1Z
each runs LinuxMint 19 or 18.3 with Cinnamon
i7 self-built server --> Ubuntu 18.04 LTR (with Cinnamon, for the rare local login)

Return to “Newbie Questions”