need a password[ solved ]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tbrownarcher2

need a password[ solved ]

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

I can't get into anything like software manager or other where i need my password.
I told install to log me in without a password and i don't remember ever having to put a password in during install.
I guess i need a password. Where do i add or change my password?
thanks,
Nate
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mute Ant

Re: need a password

Post by Mute Ant »

"I guess i need a password" If you don't know the installation password you have to hack in to your own machine to get root access without it. Then, as root, you can set a new password. The normal arrangement in Mint is to set the root password to be the same as the password for your normal account.

The hacking-key is to boot the kernel with the extra instruction init=/bin/bash
Using Google to search for...
site:https://forums.linuxmint.com "init=/bin/bash"
...will show you how.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Mint won't do the install without a password, so you must have entered something. You can set a new password with the procedure described here:

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/5
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
tbrownarcher2

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

yes jimallyn
I have a password and I know what it is . for some reason it quit working on boot . I actually discovered it would not work when I was trying to use software package manager .

thanks,
Nate
tbrownarcher2

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

Ok! I have figured something out.

The other day when i started having the password problem I changed the size of the largest partition (windows) graphicly with "G Parted". I made it half the size it was by clicking and dragging .
after i got done doing that and not able to get into anything requiring a password I rebooted and it would also not use the password.
So I went to windows 10 and looked at the partitions intending to resize there but windows reads the partitions as if i had not resized it at all.

Now I'm really lost. I used the fix using the e key to edit the boot line . that showed that my password was still there but i changed it anyhow.
it still does not work i get this message
MDM could not write to your authorization file. This could
mean that you are out of disk space or that your home
directory could not be opened for writing. In any case . It is
not possible to log in. Please contact your system administrator.
Which is me LOL

So I think i need to resize again not sure. I can't access linux without hacking so i don't know what to do because windows reads it like it was not changed so I cannot change it there ? ?????? don't know what to do.

Thanks,
Nate
Ozo

Post by Ozo »

Simplest solution is to start fresh. I have done that so many times I can personalize a new install in very short order with little stress. In the time it takes to discuss it you could be back to business as usual.

Use a USB pen drive and it will go much quicker.
tbrownarcher2

Post by tbrownarcher2 »

Ozo:

so now I have reinstalled if that is what you meant or if it's not i still did it again ... AND I'm afraid to touch g parted.
thanks,
Nate

Return to “Beginner Questions”