So why no security sub-forum in these forums ?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
sfrusciante
Level 3
Level 3

Re: So why no security sub-forum in these forums ?

Post by sfrusciante » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:05 am

I would like to see a security forum since there are in fact many OS independent potential issues that are concerned: Flash, browsing, Mono...
I got a crazy number of people to disappoint. -me

bartszu
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bartszu » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:40 am

I thought security is about: how to deal with DDoS attack on your server, or what to do if somebody is doing penetration testing on your machine, not how to deal with Flash. Flash renders small kittens videos on web sites :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

acerimusdux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by acerimusdux » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:33 pm

turtlebay wrote:You were saying? A load of tripe!
1. In the first place, scanning "localhost" tells you nothing about what ports are available "to the outside world". I would have scanned the address associated with the external interface.

2. Second, as the link you gave there says:
You may only see netbios-ssn; ipp and a few others by default. Over time as install packages you may see extra ports opened or listened ony only see netbios-ssn; ipp and a few others by default. Over time as install packages you may see extra ports opened or listened on
I don't know what version you are running, but the fact is that most recent default installs of Linux Mint do include some of these ports open, on the external interface, for purposes of file sharing and connecting with services on the local network. This isn't necessarily "insecure", but for those who aren't using these services, it makes more sense to either disable them, reconfigure them, uninstall them, or simply run a firewall blocking outside access to those ports.

3. Note that link also recommends running a firewall. While this isn't absolutely necessary (more advanced users may prefer to simply disable unneeded services), it's the simplest way for most users to address this concern. And either way, you are implementing some kind of security procedure, which was the main point.

This isn't about any "flaws" in Linux Mint. But security always involves trade-offs, and no one default configuration is going to be ideal for every user. A sub-forum would be helpful for those interested in learning what trade-offs and configurations are most appropriate to their own individual needs.

misterxyz
Level 1
Level 1

Post by misterxyz » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:59 am

Moem wrote:A security subforum could be a fine place to explain to new users which security measures are not needed on Linux, and why this is the case. It could be a one-stop place to help end FUD, not start it.
If I were a brand new Linux Mint user, and worried about security, I'd look at such a subforum, for sure. It would not worry me more, it would ease my mind.
Definitely. As a newb I would really appreciate a security sub-forum.

majpooper
Level 5
Level 5

Post by majpooper » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:44 pm

Check this out,
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... t/security
This site is maintained by Pjtor one of the more knowledgeable contributors to this site.

Return to “Newbie Questions”