Linux Mint 18 cinnamon to 18.1 <Solved>

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Weeping Cookie
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint 18 cinnamon to 18.1 <Solved>

Post by Weeping Cookie »

So it gives me the option to upgrade through the update manager. I was wondering if I actually "should" upgrade?

If I upgrade does it erase all my data and do I have start as if I installed a fresh new OS, or does it keep all my settings and applications and configurations?

According to the blog it says "if its not broken, don't fix it". If thats the case and there is no reason to upgrade at which point do I actually upgrade, if not right away?

Does not upgrading leave security vulnerabilities?
Last edited by Weeping Cookie on Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoeFootball
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Linux Mint 18 cinnamon to 18.1

Post by JoeFootball »

Weeping Cookie wrote:...at which point do I actually upgrade, if not right away?
Like Clem's blog entry says...
Clem wrote:You might want to upgrade to 18.1 because some bug that annoys you is fixed or because you want to get some of the new features. In any case, you should know why you’re upgrading.

As excited as we are about 18.1, upgrading blindly for the sake of running the latest version does not make much sense, especially if you’re already happy and everything is working perfectly.

Make sure to read the release notes and to known the new features so you have all the information you need before deciding whether to upgrade.
Weeping Cookie wrote:Does not upgrading leave security vulnerabilities?
LM 18 is still currently supported until 2021. I'm contently using LM 17.3, still currently supported until 2019.

Joe
Weeping Cookie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Weeping Cookie »

So basically upgrade if there is a feature I need in the new OS, to fix some bugs, or wait until my current OS support is nearing its end, in this case 2021.

However, if I were to upgrade (through the update manager) would I lose all my programs and current configurations, and would have to have to go through the entire set up process again, as if I were doing a clean install?
Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

No.
Weeping Cookie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Weeping Cookie »

OK, Thanks!