Can anyone try to help me understand the purpose of XScreensaver 5.15.3

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
BobLuck
Level 3
Level 3

Can anyone try to help me understand the purpose of XScreensaver 5.15.3

Post by BobLuck » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:12 am

It pops in - seems like any time it wants and requires me to re-enter my password. I type it correct - and have had it 'Fail' up to three times.
It isn't even consistant about when, I might go half a day with no challenges and then the next few times I have to enter my passwords twice.
Is no one else bothered by this???

I finally marked it for complete removal - Now I have no screensaver.

Bob Luck

amethyst_igor
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Can anyone try to help me understand the purpose of XScreensaver 5.15.3

Post by amethyst_igor » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:06 am

It works great for slideshows. A nice program. You can configure its behavior. The screensaver is actually for security, to make sure a passerby doesn't use your unoccupied computer to steal info. That is what Linux distros use it for. There is always talk of getting rid of it or replacing it with the next shiny new thing, but in reality it works well with X11 and it is not quite so easy to replace.
I run both Windows 10 and Linux Mint 18 in dual boot with two SSDs and have other rigs running various versions of Linux. My blog.

Return to “Newbie Questions”