Solved grub & Serena 18.1 UEFI Secure Boot non-issue

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
mintage
Level 2
Level 2

Solved grub & Serena 18.1 UEFI Secure Boot non-issue

Post by mintage »

Just installed linuxmint-18.1-mate-64bit.iso image from bootable micro-SD Card created with Linux Live (so far so good) and booted straight to windows 10. no grub. this was not the desired effect. Actually, Linux Live doesn't officially support Serena 18.1 at this time, so technically there could BE no desired effect. Just a little clarification for the ones that ponder such things.
Wiped install and re-installed again - all the while reading internet advice about UEFI menu's and Secure Boot (interesting but not what I was looking for).
Booted straight to windows 10 again.
In amongst the ad-ridden world of how to geek and itsfloss there is :o mention of the UEFI function that implements upon pressing the "special" button :shock: that provides options for system info, BIOS, boot config and mem test etc. I am calling that the BIOS menu even though we all know it is more than that. Amazing - there it is :arrow: pick your OS. Or not, it will load option 1 for you if you just sit there and look at it.

:?: Why is everyone so fired up to Disable Secure Boot, or go through the 11 steps to get there when you just reboot and push that "special" button? I haven't retried it out yet because I am trying to recreate a crash I had with the Live USB, but here is what is likely -
reboot without selecting Boot Options in menu = windows 10
reboot selecting Boot Options = access to Linux Mint MATE or windows 10.

This will be infuriating if I miss the menu triggering opportunity and am graced with windows 10 using every microsecond to report God knows what to microsoft AND FRIENDS before I shut it down. If someone has information that might be useful to creating a Dual Boot option that doesn't demand strict attendance to time constraints to activate, I would appreciate that.
I did give myself a few seconds in BIOS, but it was originally set to zero seconds, so I am glad I found that.

:tfoil
Last edited by mintage on Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks to the mint support throng goodness

fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Serena 18.1 UEFI Secure Boot non-issue

Post by fabien85 »

What happens is that the linux bootloader, grub, is not the default boot entry.
To correct this, go in your firmware interface (/BIOS, if you prefer to call it that way), go to the boot order, and put the "ubuntu" entry at the top of the order. If that is no sufficient, read this page and adapt instructions to grub instead of refind.

The special button you are speaking about, loads the so-called boot menu (if I understand correctly what you wrote). There you can indeed pick linux or windows. When you pick linux, do you get the grub menu ? (something like this) If so, does it have an entry for windows and is that working ? Because otherwise it means that grub didnt detect windows, which hints at a bad install.

Mint can work with secure boot. Especially the 17.x series. But in the 18.x series, having secure boot activated means you cannot use proprietary drivers (e.g. for graphic card or wifi), which is a pain.

mintage
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Serena 18.1 UEFI Secure Boot non-issue

Post by mintage »

Initial state - I start the device, press esc, select boot menu, I select ubuntu; this produces the GRUB, then I select Linux/Ubuntu. There is not an entry for win10 in the GRUB. If boot and do nothing, win10 loads. That is why I didn't notice it was a missing option earlier.

After reading your message a bit more carefully, I changed the OS boot order in firmware. I checked it before, but the ubuntu option wasn't there. But now it is, and it was a VERY SIMPLE matter to put them in the order so kindly suggested.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH! GRUB has control of the boot situation - all is as it should be on this front.

TOP Notch suggestion, Thank you again.

mintage
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Solved grub & Serena 18.1 UEFI Secure Boot non-issue

Post by mintage »

Another software that will not run is CloneZilla Live. Even though is selected the recommended "Secure Boot safe" version. Pain is the word. :mrgreen:

EDIT: The *iso boot CD version did not work so I tried the boot *amd64.zip USB version, it worked. Created the USB download Secure Boot version of CloneZilla Live, unzipped with engrampa into ext4 formatted USB, preserving directory structure and it was bootable from there. . . .which is a little different from the CLI directions for making boot USB here.

Return to “Newbie Questions”