Same ISO version for Intel and AMD processor?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
GS3
Level 5
Level 5

Same ISO version for Intel and AMD processor?

Post by GS3 »

Hi, newbie here. My first try with Linux so please be gentle.

I have this hardware:
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT, MoBo HP3396, BIOS HP K01 V02.05 2012, Chipset Intel Q77 Expres,
Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2 GHz, Quad core, 64 bit
RAM: 8 GB (4x 2 GB) DDR3
Intel integrated graphics
500 GB NTFS HDD

I downloaded linuxmint-18.1-cinnamon-64bit.iso and burnt it to a DVD.
In the file README.deskdefines I see: DISKNAME Linux Mint 18.1 "Serena" - Release amd64

Can I use it with the Intel Core i5-3470 processor or is it only for AMD processors?
I need to confirm it will work with my processor. Ar4e there different versions for Intel and for AMD processors?

Regarding the integrated graphics, I have no further information and that description seems vague. Can I assume Linux Mint 18.1 will have a driver for it?

Any other observations or advice welcome.
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya - Kernel 4.4.0-171-generic X64 - Cinnamon 3.4.4 - Nemo

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Same ISO version for Intel and AMD processor?

Post by Moem »

GS3 wrote:Are there different versions for Intel and for AMD processors?
No, there are not. And the best way to find out how well your hardware is supported by Mint is always to try it from a DVD or USB. That should tell you all you need to know.

Welcome to the forum!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

JoeFootball
Level 8
Level 8

Post by JoeFootball »

GS3 wrote:Regarding the integrated graphics, I have no further information and that description seems vague. Can I assume Linux Mint 18.1 will have a driver for it?
It should, if not, people are here to help you get one.

Joe

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

"amd64" is in general (not only by Mint) used for 64 bit versions (has some historical reasons), while 32 bit versions are indicated by "x86".

ralplpcr
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ralplpcr »

GS3 wrote:Regarding the integrated graphics, I have no further information and that description seems vague. Can I assume Linux Mint 18.1 will have a driver for it?
The "Q77 Express" chipset is nearly 5 years old & is well-supported by Linux. You should have no trouble booting up and having that integrated graphics work - no need to install a driver.

If you have any concern, try booting up a live session with your DVD. If you don't see a big warning that you're running in software emulation mode, then your integrated graphics are recognized & working as intended.

GS3
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GS3 »

Moem wrote:
GS3 wrote:Are there different versions for Intel and for AMD processors?
No, there are not. And the best way to find out how well your hardware is supported by Mint is always to try it from a DVD or USB. That should tell you all you need to know.

Welcome to the forum!
Thanks! The problem I have right now is that I do not have a DVD burner, only CD burner, and I do not have a USB pendrive with enough capacity, the one I have is only 1 GB. I do have an external USB hard drive which I could use If I knew how to make it bootable. I do not know if this is possible but if it is maybe you can direct me to some instructions.

In other words, I have the ISO file in my Windows laptop and I would need to "burn" it to the external USB HDD so it is bootable. Then take it to the HP Compaq machine and try to boot it from there. Maybe this is too complicated and I am better off waiting until I can find someone to burn a DVD for me.

This is my first Linux installation and I plan to take it very slowly and gradually. I plan to make a slow transition from Windows XP and will probably have both machines working in parallel for months or years while I slowly find Linux replacements for my Windows programs.
HP Compaq Elite 8300 CMT - Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya - Kernel 4.4.0-171-generic X64 - Cinnamon 3.4.4 - Nemo

GS3
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GS3 »

Cosmo. wrote:"amd64" is in general (not only by Mint) used for 64 bit versions (has some historical reasons), while 32 bit versions are indicated by "x86".
Thanks. I did not know that. For some reason I thought "x86" meant 32 bit and "x64" meant generic 64 bit. Maybe I saw it somewhere or maybe I am just confused. Now I know "amd64" includes Intel processors.

GS3
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GS3 »

ralplpcr wrote:If you have any concern, try booting up a live session with your DVD. If you don't see a big warning that you're running in software emulation mode, then your integrated graphics are recognized & working as intended.
As I mentioned, getting a DVD is the first hurdle I have not overcome yet.

Regarding the integrated video, I suppose it will do while getting started but I have no idea of its quality level and I wonder if it is very basic and I might need to get a discrete video card later. That is something I will find out in due time. For now I am just trying to get Linux on the hard disk.

ralplpcr
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ralplpcr »

If you have the ISO but not a DVD or a way to make a bootable USB, then your options are a bit limited. While it's *possible* to make a bootable USB HDD, that seems a bit more complex than is necessary - - especially if this truly is still a Windows XP system we're talking about.

I don't know your budget, but I'd think the easiest option would be to get a bigger USB flash drive. You can pick up 16GB drives almost anywhere (at least here in the US) for around $10-$15, which would more than suffice. Use Rufus (https://rufus.akeo.ie) or YUMI (https://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-mult ... b-creator/) to create your live USB, and you're done.

Note that booting from a live USB in this manner will *not* enable you to save changes. Same would be true for a DVD, if you get someone to burn it for you. You'd need to actually install Linux to a partition in order to have changes saved.

Another option you might want to try is virtualization? Your CPU does have VT-D capability, so you could use something like VMWare Player or VirtualBox to create a virtual machine directly from that ISO. You'd use your ISO as a "boot disk", and then run the installer in your VM, and you could then experiment all you needed without fear of damaging your Windows installation.

The latest VMWare Player that supports running on WinXP is VMware Player 7.1.0 Build 2496824. Note: if you go this route, you'd likely need the 32-bit version of Mint, since the WinXP host is only 32-bit.

MintBean
Level 9
Level 9

Post by MintBean »

The terms AMD64, x84_64 and x64 are all interchangeable. It all means '64 bit version of x86 architecture.'

GS3
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GS3 »

ralplpcr wrote:If you have the ISO but not a DVD or a way to make a bootable USB, then your options are a bit limited. While it's *possible* to make a bootable USB HDD, that seems a bit more complex than is necessary - - especially if this truly is still a Windows XP system we're talking about.
(...)
Note that booting from a live USB in this manner will *not* enable you to save changes. Same would be true for a DVD, if you get someone to burn it for you. You'd need to actually install Linux to a partition in order to have changes saved.
(...)
Another option you might want to try is virtualization?
My intention is to permanently install Linux on that machine's HDD. That machine has no OS right now and I intend to use it exclusively as a Linux machine. It has a blank 500 GB HDD right now.

I am thinking I have some live Linux disk somewhere and I could start the machine with that and try to transfer the ISO file to the Compaq machine HDD over the network but then I'd be stuck because I do not think I could do anything with the ISO file in the HDD.

Since this is not urgent I will wait and see if someone can burn me a DVD or lend me a USB pendrive, whichever happens first.

Another thing is that I have used the KDE desktop before. What desktop does linuxmint-18.1-cinnamon-64bit.iso include. Since I am new I guess I will get used to any desktop but are there any reasons to use or not use KDE?

ralplpcr
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ralplpcr »

GS3 wrote:Since this is not urgent I will wait and see if someone can burn me a DVD or lend me a USB pendrive, whichever happens first.
That may be easiest. There are certainly things that could be done over a network, but it's probably more trouble than it's worth.
GS3 wrote: Another thing is that I have used the KDE desktop before. What desktop does linuxmint-18.1-cinnamon-64bit.iso include. Since I am new I guess I will get used to any desktop but are there any reasons to use or not use KDE?
Linux Mint Cinnamon uses the Cinnamon desktop environment. It is a fork of the Gnome family of desktop environments, as are the XFCE and MATE editions. As such, many of the applications & functions in Cinnamon/XFCE/MATE are very closely related, if not exactly the same.

KDE is different because it uses the K Desktop Environment. (Hence the KDE) This is *not* based on the Gnome family, and as such has several differences. "Terminal" is changed to "Konsole", for example... and you'll see a lot of "K" programs instead of "G" programs that you'd see in the Gnome-based environments. It's not necessarily better or worse - - just a matter of what you're used to/what you like using. KDE can be a bit trickier if you're coming from a GNOME environment & vice/versa, but go with whatever makes you the most comfortable. That's one of the advantages of the "live" sessions - you can try them all out, and decide what works best for YOU before you commit to installing.

Tomgin5
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Tomgin5 »

I Know if you wish to download a LM X 64 cinnamon Version, Just go to the Linux Mint home page and have a recordable DVD blank disk and you can directly burn a "LIVE" disk from a WindeXP platform. I did it the first time I downloaded Linux mint last year. I then made a dual boot with the Windex while installing the LM 17.3 Cinnamon 64, from the disk. I stripped the browser from the Windes and installed Pale moon and replaced the Office package with Libre Office.
Everything worked great until I had a power failure while I was in the midst of changing my log in password. I could no longer lg in with any password I had. Wiped and reinstalled from the disk. Still working!

GS3
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GS3 »

Thanks ralplpcr. I suppose any desktop will be fine as I am really starting from scratch.

Over the next few days I will look for someone to burn me a DVD. I am planning on keeping the HDD formatted with NTFS if this does not present a problem.

I figure learning Linux is going to be a slow, long and arduous effort for me. I plan to take it very gradually.

ralplpcr
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ralplpcr »

GS3 wrote:... I am planning on keeping the HDD formatted with NTFS if this does not present a problem..
I wouldn't recommend it. For one, you'll pretty much need a Linux-Swap partition - - that will require at minimum re-partitioning your drive. NTFS will work, but it's not truly supported - - you'll lose out on a lot of the Linux filesystem features, if you can even get it to install on NTFS. If you really want to keep part of your drive as NTFS, you should consider dual-boot.

Formatting is not difficult. It's automatically done as part of the installation, unless you manually set the partitions. I'd say your best bet is to just try it as ext4. You can always format it back to NTFS later, if you need to?

deleted

Post by deleted »

You can use a swap file rather than a swap partition, but the sticking point is that NTFS doesn't have full POSIX support.
-H

GS3
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GS3 »

Oh, OK, I will let the Linux installation format the disk with whichever system it uses natively. I was thinking that NTFS would be better for compatibility with my Windows systems. What I do want to be sure is that I can transfer files via the network between the Linux and the Windows machines. Is this pretty standard or is it something I will need to set up?

The way I have always liked to have it in my Windows machines is that I have only one special folder shared on the network. Normally this folder is empty but other computers can copy files to it or from it and I use it to transfer files between computers. I would like to maintain this system with Linux if at all possible.

I believe I might have the possibility of burning the DVD today or tomorrow. We shall see if it works out. Thanks all for your ongoing help and advice.

ralplpcr
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ralplpcr »

Having a special folder on the network is certainly doable. Linux has a program called "Samba" that allows you to set up & share a folder between Linux, Windows, and OSX systems quite nicely. I use it regularly, and once you have it set up, you'd never even know that you're not connecting to a native Windows folder. Remember, once you send a file outside of your computer, it's up to the receiving system how it wants to store/save it. Linux is much happier saving to a native Linux partition. As long as you have Samba installed & configured, you can certainly do what you're hoping.

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

GS3 wrote:What I do want to be sure is that I can transfer files via the network between the Linux and the Windows machines.
For a network connection the file system of the distant computer is out of interest. It is the distant system, which accesses the shares, the local system tells the distant system only, what it wants to get. So a Windows system can access shares on a Linux or OS X system, if the permissions are set.

GS3
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GS3 »

I did get a DVD burnt and popped it in the machine and did a very quick installation which seems to work.

It asked me if I wanted to encrypt the installation and for now I said "NO" as it was just a test but I am quite interested in this aspect of the installation. What kind of encryption does it use and how secure is it? Is it what is described in https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2026 ? That seems pretty complicated for a beginner.

Is it FDE, including the MBR? Or is it only the partition that is encrypted? Or, like in some computers, there is really no encryption at all and it is only a password so the system will allow access to the disk but if the disk is taken to another computer it can be read.

Generally in Windows I would create a virtual disk using PGP and mount it and use it to keep my files and I am not too concerned about the OS and programs not being encrypted. I like this solution as it is simple and hardware-independent. I can take the virtual disk file to another computer and read it if I have the key. I never liked Windows encryption which seems to me complicated and tied to the particular windows installation.

One aspect is that software encryption will require processor time and exact a penalty. I believe this HP Compaq BIOS will work with a self-encrypting disk (SED) which is transparent when in use and requires no processor resources. This option seems better than a software solution. Of course, I could use both. I guess I need to decide this issue before I go any further because I cannot do it later on, after the installation is up and running.

I think it is most probable that in the near future I will be doing several successive re-installations just to try things out. At this point this is merely a learning experiment and I can do several re-installations until things are most to my liking.

I am assuming there is an Internet browser already included so the first thing I will need to do after installation is configure the internet connection, which I like to do manually. I have not decided yet if I will use wifi or ethernet as they both present their own problems. I guess wifi, although mediocre due to the position of the router AP, will do for my testing and learning. Ethernet has to go through power-line adapters, which have their own problems, and communication is not much better.

SAMBA sounds like just what I need to exchange files with Windows boxes. Is it included in the basic installation or is it something I need to install separately? I have to confess my apprehension regarding installing programs because all the instructions I have seen are quite complicated. I guess it gets easier after doing it a few times.

I am still using win XP with its "simple file sharing" so if SAMBA uses anything more complex than that I will need to learn to use it.

Thanks all for the much needed hand holding.

Edit to add:

Well, I have been playing a bit. In the file "explorer" program, under "network", I can see the Win XP computer but for some unknown reason it will not open the shared folder.

I tried installing Google Earth but I get a dependency error which says package lsb-core is missing.

I can feel this is going to be challenging.

I am curious about the video. It works ok but I see it is integrated in the mobo and I am assuming it is using part of the main memory. Is there some program or way to get a detailed configuration description? (Similar to Everest or PC Wizard in windows)

Return to “Newbie Questions”