uploading pics from iPhone

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
carol2925

uploading pics from iPhone

Post by carol2925 »

I am wondering if there is any way I can accomplish this? I do have gphoto2 installed and it still doesn't work for me. I just had Mint installed on my computer and my computer guy
is having a hard time figuring it out also. I may go back to Win7 due to this. Also if you wouldn't mind giving me the advantages of Mint os please. I don't do anything exceptional on the computer except for surfing and creating documents once in a while and upload pics! :D
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: uploading pics from iPhone

Post by Pierre »

if you simply take the usb / power cable from the iPhone,
and simply plug it into a usb port on the LinuxMint PC:
- does the LM system recognize the iPhone or not ?.

if it does - it may see it as an iPhone or maybe just as a memory card.

If you don't do anything exceptional on the computer,
except for surfing and creating documents once in a while,
then you may find that the Linux system is more suitable
than using That Other System :!: but, as always - YMMV - is the old saying.

Linux is a simpler system, but that also means, that some things that you could do,
in that you can't now do those things in the Linux system.
the mains issues, that people do have, is trying to duplicate something possible
in the windows system, that is *not* simple, even on that system,
and then expect to do that function of the Linux system & then find that they can't do that.

so - - keeps things simple & you will find that a Linux system can work for you, too.
plus - it's more secure than any windows system can ever be.
EG: virus,, trojans,,, worms.. or even just hacking into your PC.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Mint doesn't spy on you, become virus ridden, have an intrusive update system or cost money and you can play solitaire without adverts. Mint is also much more customisable than Windows if that floats your boat and it has a software centre so you can download all your software in one place.
carol2925

Post by carol2925 »

I plug my iphone into the computer and it says iphone will not mount.
How do you all with Mint store your photos? You
probably don't have any Apple products, right?
I want to hear from someone who does please.
I like the idea of Mint and will probably stick with it due to your responses.
LazyJack

Post by LazyJack »

Hi, just to say that up until recently I had no trouble uploading photos to Linux from iPhone. I'm using Mint 18 Cinammon.

I used to just plug in the iPhone and it would automatically open the Linux version of the file explorer and there would be the usual DCIM directory on the iPhone.

However, since upgrading to IOS 10 the explorer window opens OK but no files are visible.

The phone keeps asking me if I trust the computer I am plugged into.

So, it used to work but it doesn't now! May do again in the future...
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Make your next phone an Android for a fraction of the price. I have a few friends who always have to have the latest iPhone, but for what they use it for I can't see any advantage at all over my £100 Moto G.
LazyJack

Post by LazyJack »

Just a bump and a link to this issue on github, where someone has posted a workaround.

https://github.com/libimobiledevice/lib ... issues/445

It doesn't work for me, I just get 'idevice: command not found'. *edit* sorry the command does work, finger trouble on my part. Hoever part of the procedure is to reboot the computer which I cannot do while the phone is connected to USB for some reason, so can't confirm it works.

@Mintbean - I agree. It's weird how moving from Windows to Linux means I'll also ditch Apple....
LazyJack

Post by LazyJack »

Apparently this has been fixed (see https://github.com/libimobiledevice/lib ... issues/413. However it would be beyond my capabilities to apply to my system, so I'm hoping that this fix will work it's way through to the package in Mint and get picked up by Software Manager.
TheWay

Post by TheWay »

I got mine to work!!! [ :idea: USB "reboot" technique :idea: ] Very easy solution.

After you plug your phone in, your iPhone should prompt you with a question asking whether or not you trust the computer. (You do this from your phone).

For me, after I plugged my phone into the USB port, and then verified that I trust the computer from my iPhone, I had to click the "unmount" button, and then I just re-clicked that same button to mount. This was the trick!
After that it allowed me to access the "DCIM" folder to move my pics and videos from my iPhone to my Linux Mint computer!

The mounting button is located on the left of the "Documents" window. (Like what you click to remove a USB drive).
To open "Documents", click the icon that looks like a folder.
pak
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pak »

The last time I connected my iPhone I could see the DCIM (ie folders containing photos & videos), which was good, as I needed to copy some to view on a larger screen

However when I plugged in my iPhone today all that come up was
Screenshot from 2022-01-29 13-06-20.png
Can any one tell me what I need to do, to be able to access the full file directory on my iPhone please?
(last time I did this my iPhone asked me to enter my PIN before it would work. I have not been asked to enter my iPhone PIN this time, but incase that was what was preventing the access view I wanted, I have entered it and so have unlocked it whilst docked / mounted to Linux Mint, but that hasnt helped)
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi carol2925,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

Because Apple products are proprietary, open source options are limited. And with the newer the iPhones or iPads, the less likely any open source application are going to work until they come up with updates which can take awhile.

There are many posts on this topic in this forum already.
Example of a previous post
Get iphone 7 Plus Photos Into Cinnamon 18.1 [SOLVED] - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=239521&hilit=libimobile

I.) IMHO, the easiest method to transfer your iPhone or iPad files to your Linux computer or any other computer or smartphone or tablet, is by installing a cloud storage provider (free or paid for) like "pCloud", Mega, Google Drive, etc... and just syncing the files which also gives you an online backup of your files (& data). The syncing can be done automatically or manually upon request. Obviously, make sure it has a Linux software Client.

Best free cloud storage in 2022 | Tom's Guide
https://www.tomsguide.com/buying-guide/ ... ud-storage

17 Best Free Cloud Storage Services for Backup in 2022
https://www.lifewire.com/free-cloud-storage-1356638

I have been using Mega for years. (I got 50gb of free encrypted storage and a Linux client)
https://mega.io/

II.) The second easiest option is to install and use a cross-platform file transfer application like Feem.

Feem: Share Files Offline
https://feem.io/

Best file sharing apps for Android, iOS and PC
https://www.carlcare.com/global/tips-de ... ring-apps/

III.) The "libimobile" developers and maintainers are excellent, but it seem to be hit and miss whether or not it will work with anyone's particular iPhone or iPad. Their most current versions appear to require downloading their source code and compiling it, then installing it. There is also an alternative PPA, but it shows 2021-02-22 as their last updated version, but this may be worth a try. Remember to restart your computer after installing the PPA and its software before trying it. "Don't forget to change the permissions of the mount point. i just went with chmod 777.
Working now."

To easily install the various "libimobile" packages is by this using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one: Click "Select All" above command, right click the highlighted command, select Copy (or Ctrl+Insert), click in the console terminal window, and right click paste ("Shift+Insert" or "Ctrl+Shift+v"), repeat for each command.

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:quamotion/ppa

sudo apt update

sudo apt install libimobiledevice6 libimobiledevice-utils libideviceactivation libideviceactivation-tools libusbmuxd-tools libplist3 libplist-utils libplist++3v5 libplist-doc libgdiplus ideviceinstaller ifuse hfsutils mtp-tools gmtp jmtpfs go-mtpfs

IV.) Bluetooth file transfer may work as well.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
mcroger
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mcroger »

pak wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:10 am The last time I connected my iPhone I could see the DCIM (ie folders containing photos & videos), which was good, as I needed to copy some to view on a larger screen

However when I plugged in my iPhone today all that come up was
Screenshot from 2022-01-29 13-06-20.png

Can any one tell me what I need to do, to be able to access the full file directory on my iPhone please?
(last time I did this my iPhone asked me to enter my PIN before it would work. I have not been asked to enter my iPhone PIN this time, but incase that was what was preventing the access view I wanted, I have entered it and so have unlocked it whilst docked / mounted to Linux Mint, but that hasnt helped)
Still working on mine. I need to trust the computer from the iPhone and type my pin therefore. And then I can open it in Nemo.

And I not remember making anything special (installing programs or libraries) to do so.
Mac Pro1 2006 x5355 - Nvidia GT1030 - ATI 5770HD Mac Edition- 16 GB, dual boot Mint 20.3 / Mac OSX El Capitan
Mac Pro2 2006 x5355 - Nvidia GTX470 - 12 GB, dual boot 20.3 / Mac OSX El Capitan
Macbook Air mid-2011 i7 - dual boot Mint 21.1 / Mac OSX Catalina
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Reddog1 »

Connection to an iphone running IOS15.3 (the very latest) works just fine here. Shows the iphone as 'iphone' in the Devices section of Thunar.
surium
Level 1
Level 1

Post by surium »

I did this (open Terminal CLI):

1. Check you got iPhone connected:
lsusb
"
Bus 001 Device 007: ID Apple, Inc. iPhone5/5C/5S/6
"

2. Check your system is updated:
sudo apt-get update -y
sudo apt-get install -y ifuse

"
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
ifuse is already the newest version (1.1.3-0.1).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 248 not upgraded.
"

3. Check you got libimobiledevice installed:
sudo apt-get install libimobiledevice

"
Building dependency tree
E: Unable to locate package libimobiledevice
"

4. Check you got usbmuxd, libimobiledevice6 and libimobiledevice-utils:
sudo apt-get install usbmuxd libimobiledevice6 libimobiledevice-utils

"
Building dependency tree
libimobiledevice6 is already the newest version (1.2.1~git20171128.5a854327+dfsg-0.1).
libimobiledevice-utils is already the newest version (1.2.1~git20171128.5a854327+dfsg-0.1).
usbmuxd is already the newest version (1.1.0-2ubuntu0.1).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 248 not upgraded.
"

5. Create a directory for your iPhone to mount:
mkdir ~/iphone7

6. Mount iPhone in your new directory using the command ifuse:
ifuse ~/iphone7
(I had ifuse installed already, maybe I got it from the extended Linux Mint software pack when installing)

Hope it helps you on your way! :)H
mcroger
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mcroger »

Ok, I've reproduced the issue.

The default path opened in the iPhone within Nemo, ends with "/3".

This is the directory with the folders containing the icons of the apps.

Edit the path in Nemo, remove the "/3".

Et voilà. You'll see the different folders, including DCIM with all pictures.
Mac Pro1 2006 x5355 - Nvidia GT1030 - ATI 5770HD Mac Edition- 16 GB, dual boot Mint 20.3 / Mac OSX El Capitan
Mac Pro2 2006 x5355 - Nvidia GTX470 - 12 GB, dual boot 20.3 / Mac OSX El Capitan
Macbook Air mid-2011 i7 - dual boot Mint 21.1 / Mac OSX Catalina
menthaAquatica
Level 1
Level 1

Post by menthaAquatica »

I have an iphone and use I LM20.2. I can retrieve the files after attaching a usb cable and following the method used by mcroger. This step is also required in Ubuntu.
I've setup another way which I offer to in case it's useful to anyone. I bought an app called FE File Explorer Pro, there may be free alternatives.
I set up an ssh server to run on LM and now, when I want to transfer images, I click to share then FE File Explorer is one of the options. I select my laptop, select the folder to save it in and the transfer the files. it takes around 1 second per file, so not ideal for large transfers but very hand for smaller number of transfers. It is a convenient setup.

Additionally, I use a chroot restricted account and limit the settings so that that only my phone and the dedicated user account are permitted to connect via the local network, but this step is optional.

Return to “Beginner Questions”