Disable Evolution desktop notifications

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gargoil666uk
Level 1
Level 1

Disable Evolution desktop notifications

Post by gargoil666uk »

I have Evolution 3.18.5.2.
I wish to turn off the popup desktop notification reminders when Evolution is not running, but I still want reminders to appear when I do have Evolution running.
How can this behavior be satisfied?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
---
United Kingdom, GMT+0:00
nanners

Re: Disable Evolution desktop notifications

Post by nanners »

gargoil666uk wrote:I have Evolution 3.18.5.2.
I wish to turn off the popup desktop notification reminders when Evolution is not running, but I still want reminders to appear when I do have Evolution running.
Just a random thought - have you tried any alternative reminder apps to takeover the handling? mail-notification is one of a few that has plugin support for evolution. Just checked apt to make sure, since I don't use it:

Code: Select all

p   mail-notification               - mail notification in system tray          
p   mail-notification:i386          - mail notification in system tray          
p   mail-notification-evolution     - evolution support for mail notification   
p   mail-notification-evolution:i38 - evolution support for mail notification 
Definitely several more in there, from python to daemons to enterprise-grade stuff. Try apt search mail notify if you are curious.
gargoil666uk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gargoil666uk »

Sorry, I forgot to clarify that it is calendar appointment reminders that I am referring to.
---
alex_potemkin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alex_potemkin »

Faced the same issue; ended up disabling calendar integration.
alex_potemkin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alex_potemkin »

Just in case: found something near https://newbedev.com/turn-off-calendar- ... untu-20-04, involving docnf-editor, but didn't find right parameter.
gargoil666uk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gargoil666uk »

I don't have Evolution running at startup.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

gargoil666uk wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:30 am I have Evolution 3.18.5.2.
Calendar, when integrated into Evolution, is still a separate app. The notifications are coming directly from the calendar, not Evolution. I know of no way to only show notifications when Evolution is running.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
gargoil666uk
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gargoil666uk »

PurpleGhost wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:35 am
gargoil666uk wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:10 am I don't have Evolution running at startup.
Are you sure? Did you check?
Yes.
---
Fixitmanarizona
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Fixitmanarizona »

Have you checked in Task Manager to see if any Evolution threads are running when this happens? I found 4 running even with Evolution closed. One was evolution-alarm-notify. Another was Calendar-factory. Keep in mind, it may be started by another process at startup or when that application starts (*such as when you use sync in a browser where you have gmail synced) and you may need to "stop" it manually from task manager, (that's what I did) or use a script. :shock: You don't have to kill the process, but it may restart itself if a notification tries to come in:
You may have to turn off sync on each of your accounts and applications to check which one causes it (if that's even possible.) The issue didn't happen for me until I *synced* evolution calendar to a gmail account, for instance.
This might have triggered gmail... in the browser... to sync with the desktop application, even without Evolution calendar or mail running.
Fixitmanarizona
Level 1
Level 1

Fixitmanarizona wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:38 am Have you checked in Task Manager to see if any Evolution threads are running when this happens? I found 4 running even with Evolution closed. One was evolution-alarm-notify. Another was Calendar-factory. Keep in mind, it may be started by another process at startup or when that application starts (*such as when you use sync in a browser where you have gmail synced) and you may need to "stop" it manually from task manager, (that's what I did) or use a script as below:. :shock:
Edit: see this thread on ask ubuntu. https://askubuntu.com/questions/1317784 ... arm-notify Evolution-notify is started in /etc/xdg/autostart/ and related is systemd user services as per that post.
And get this. GNOME or anything with gnome in it in Ubuntu or Mint.. depends on Evolution as its default PIM data storage center. (again, an ask Ubuntu thread: https://askubuntu.com/questions/134403/ ... ata-server )
Everything is related to everything else, nowadays.
Fixitmanarizona
Level 1
Level 1

*Why stop instead of kill?
If you want the notifications when Evolution is running... or if you want certain other functions... you'll get errors if you kill it, and the processes may not restart themselves. Whereas, you can easily go to task manager and resume them if needed. :mrgreen:

Return to “Beginner Questions”