Terminal Newbtastic Question <SOLVED>

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Bthomp1085

Terminal Newbtastic Question <SOLVED>

Post by Bthomp1085 »

When I try to input sudo lines in the terminal, it will ask me for my password. For some reason, I can't type it in. Nothing happens. Any suggestions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jonnymoon96

Re: Terminal Newbtastic Question

Post by jonnymoon96 »

you will not see *******

instead you will see nothing so just type in your password (not seeing a password on the terminal is normal)

then press Enter on the keyboard

and it should go on as you normally would
Bthomp1085

Re: Terminal Newbtastic Question

Post by Bthomp1085 »

jonnymoon96 wrote:you will not see *******

instead you will see nothing so just type in your password (not seeing a password on the terminal is normal)

then press Enter on the keyboard

and it should go on as you normally would

Looks like a winner. Thanks for the assist.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Terminal Newbtastic Question <SOLVED>

Post by BG405 »

My thoughts on this are that the password is completely hidden (including the number of characters you type) to prevent any Terminal commands from being able to list or output this to a file. It's a good idea IMHO and I've set KDE to do the same with the GUI, making it harder for onlookers to guess, as that machine is regularly used in public places (pubs, bars etc.).
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE

Return to “Beginner Questions”