[CLOSED]Shutdown problems w/mint 18.1 cinnamon serena..

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
sncalaska
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Shutdown problems w/mint 18.1 cinnamon serena..

Postby sncalaska » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:39 am

austin.texas wrote:I would say continue the thread. It is still the same problem.
ok

sncalaska
Level 1
Level 1

Postby sncalaska » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:51 pm

after trying a number of things, i have installed the new 4.9 mint stable kernel.

I continue to get "unintended-upgrade in progress during shutdown, sleeping for 5s" this is during shutdown/reboot under the mint icon, and it hangs indefinitely.
i did discover that i can get a reboot when it hangs up by Ctrl+Alt+Delete.
no normal shutdowns or reboots for me.

the quote above must be a bug; does anyone know a fix?

If anyone wants to try kernel 4.9...use this link: https://mintguide.org/system/711-instal ... -mint.html

i only started getting the above quote when i switched from preferred nvidia driver to nouveau open source driver.

Sand
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Sand » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:49 pm

Hi sc

The show goes on :)

I found this link regarding your question
the quote above must be a bug; does anyone know a fix?

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1654600

Not maby helpful but it seems to be a bug that affects several users.
I was wondering about your hardware setup? Are u using the same hardware now as you did in your earlier versions of Mint or is it totally diffrent?

/Sand
"People who get defendent should be defended!"

sncalaska
Level 1
Level 1

Postby sncalaska » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:16 pm

Sand, everything going on this thread is the same machine-2007 dell xps410- it's had everything, mint wise, from 17-18.1 cinnamon. never this problem.
i was trying to see if my tp wireless adapter was causing this because when i disconnected wireless i got a super slow shutdown. a couple people mentioned network w/this. i'm looking for upgrade firmware (linux) for this adaptor. this adaptor often quits and i have to change usb ports. tp and mint are not a great combo.
that link i'll have to read several times as it's a bit stilted. the patch would be nice.

this is really taking up time! sc

sncalaska
Level 1
Level 1

Postby sncalaska » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:19 pm

i posted this as a bug on launchpad: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1663699
you may want to hold back on kernel 4.9

see if i get a patch and/or a solution...i will update this thread.

sncalaska
Level 1
Level 1

Postby sncalaska » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:10 pm

[CLOSED] i wiped mint 18.1 and am finishing up a reinstall of 18 cinnamon sarah. got tired of beating my head against the wall. sncalaska

i got this solution reply on another thread, but i had already wiped serena and reinstalled cinnamon sarah:
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=238308 The problem has been solved by removing a particular software package completely.

this thread says it's a solution. i was apparently mistyping 'unintended-upgrade' and it should be "unattended-upgrade."

Joe2Shoe
Level 2
Level 2

Re: [CLOSED]Shutdown problems w/mint 18.1 cinnamon serena..

Postby Joe2Shoe » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:27 am

After dealing with this issue in LM 18.2 Cinnamon Sonya, I finally "fixed" it and now the laptop reboots and shuts down normally.
1. Edit GRUB:
sudo gedit /etc/default/grub

2. Add this ADDITIONAL line to GRUB:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="reboot=acpi"

3. Save File.

4. Update GRUB:
sudo update-grub

5. Reboot and/or shutdown to test.
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire

prestonR
Level 5
Level 5

Re: [CLOSED]Shutdown problems w/mint 18.1 cinnamon serena..

Postby prestonR » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:04 pm

I'm very late with this but this line got me thinking:
must have upgraded to 340 version
That should never happen. You don't ever 'upgrade to' 340; you use the 340 driver series because it's the right driver series for your card. An upgrade within the series would be eg 340.006 to 340.112.

We still don't know the OP's card model (8600GT?) because the full inxi was never posted but it is important to realise that there are in fact 3 different currently supported drivers for 3 generations of Nvidia cards and their names are somehow confusing:
- New cards; driver numbers go 3YX.XXX (with 'Y' >4), so you can happily run eg 357.667 or 378.665
- Older cards are served by 'Legacy' drivers: either the 340.XXX or the 304.XXX series. In both cases the '340'/'304' must never change since it is defined by your card. To find out which driver your card needs (don't always trust the 'recommended' label in Driver Manager) check:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_32667.html

The symptoms of using the wrong driver? Using the driver with the highest number on a 9400GT installs and works but it never rebooted/shutdown correctly and there were sleep/resume issues...

Return to “Newbie Questions”