Snipping Tool

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
ymousselli
Level 1
Level 1

Snipping Tool

Post by ymousselli »

What's a good snipping tool to install?

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Snipping Tool

Post by jimallyn »

I have heard that there is something in Windows called snipping tool, but I forget what it is. If you tell us what it is, somebody can probably tell you what you need to install. (Many of us here haven't used Windows in so long that we don't know their terminology. And prefer it that way.)

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

kreemoweet
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kreemoweet »

Here's something very much like the Windows Snipping Tool (I've not tried it): https://www.maketecheasier.com/hotshots ... ool-linux/

JackA
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JackA »

As a fellow n00b, I'll pass along what I use. In the Windows world, I'm a corporate site administrator of a purely Windows environment. In that role, I found and got hooked (and hooked the rest of my coworkers) on an older freeware utility called "MWSnap" that's used throughout our various sites. I wanted to find something along those lines (it's a snipping tool, 'cause I hate the Win 7 version) for my Linux install. Since I'm new to the Linux world, I keep documentation on how I've configured my particular installation of Linux, so that it closely parallels the options and settings I've installed on my Windows boxes. It also allows me to rebuild more easily when I screw something up...

So on that note, here's how to set up a snipping tool so that it closely resembles the Windows utility called "MWSnap" in its default installation (where it says "Like MWSnap," that's the key combo that I'm used to and is the default in the Windows version). This is effectively a cut & paste from my own documentation:

Screenshotting:
sudo apt-get install shutter (actual program)
sudo apt-get install libgoo-canvas-perl (enables editing of the screen shot - this is optional, but recommended)
Go into system settings, then keyboard, click the shortcuts tab, click custom shortcuts , then the + button to add the following:
name = Shutter area to clipboard
command = shutter -s

Click one of the “unassigned” entries at the bottom and hit ctrl-shift-a (like MWSnap)
add another:
name = Shutter window to clipboard
command = shutter -a

Hit ctrl-shift-w for key combo (like MWSnap)
add another:
name = Shutter desktop to clipboard
command = shutter -f

Hit ctrl-shift-d for key combo (like MWSnap)
etc…

Hope this is of use.

Boca
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Boca »

Hi,

I use Gnome-screenshot which is in the software depository.

To quote from one of the reviews of it "Not as feature rich as shutter, but it does the job well. in particular i find it a bit better than mate-screenshot, because it automatically names the files using the date, and saves them at the right place by default (pictures not desktop).

Rgds, Tony

chrisuk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chrisuk »

Boca wrote:Hi,

To quote from one of the reviews of it "Not as feature rich as shutter, but it does the job well. in particular i find it a bit better than mate-screenshot, because it automatically names the files using the date, and saves them at the right place by default (pictures not desktop).

Rgds, Tony
mate-screenshot now does the same. To the OP, just press the Prt Sc key - or SHIFT plus Prt Sc key for an area
Chris

Manjaro MATE - MX Linux - LMDE MATE

joey07
Level 1
Level 1

Post by joey07 »

Boca wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:52 am
Hi,

Rgds, Tony
Yes, but that captures the whole screen. A "snipping" tool is meant to capture only what portion you want.

I guess a person could capture the screen... then call up a graphics editor and crop the portion you want. Just more work that way.

vvv511
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vvv511 »

joey07 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:49 pm
Boca wrote:
Hi,

Rgds, Tony
Yes, but that captures the whole screen. A "snipping" tool is meant to capture only what portion you want.

I guess a person could capture the screen... then call up a graphics editor and crop the portion you want. Just more work that way.
You can also capture only a portion of the screen with gnome-screenshot.

joey07
Level 1
Level 1

Post by joey07 »

vvv511 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:55 pm
joey07 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:49 pm
Boca wrote:
Hi,

Rgds, Tony

You can also capture only a portion of the screen with gnome-screenshot.
I didn't know that. Still new to Mint. Thanks.

RIH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by RIH »

Personally I like KSnip as it allows some additional simple editing after the screen shot has been taken & before it has been saved.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/ksnip/
Host: bob-Aspire-TC-705 Kernel: 4.15.0-76-generic x86_64 bits: 64
compiler: gcc v: 7.4.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.4.8
Distro: Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic

1NEWLINUXUSER
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 1NEWLINUXUSER »

ymousselli wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:21 pm
What's a good snipping tool to install?
If you're just looking for something to take a basic screen shot both Cinnamon & Mate have "Screenshot" (Mate may be "Take Screenshot"). Both allow you to select the area you want to capture.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Yup. Press and hold Shift, tap PrtSc briefly and see what happens.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Moem wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:38 am
Yup. Press and hold Shift, tap PrtSc briefly and see what happens.
I'm using Gnome screenshot on Mint 19.3 and it works quite well for full screen and partial screen copy. You can find it in the repository.

I was curious with what you said about PrtSc so I tried what you said and all that happened was the display dimmed a bit until I left clicked on a clear space. Then I tried PrtSc by itself without the SHIFT key and and it will give a full screen screen shot.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:22 am
I was curious with what you said about PrtSc so I tried what you said and all that happened was the display dimmed a bit until I left clicked on a clear space.
Hmm! When I do that, the cursor changes into a cross and it lets me select a portion of the screen by dragging it. Once I release it, it takes a screen shot and asks me where I want to save it.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

1NEWLINUXUSER
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 1NEWLINUXUSER »

Moem wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:36 am
Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
I was curious with what you said about PrtSc so I tried what you said and all that happened was the display dimmed a bit until I left clicked on a clear space.
Hmm! When I do that, the cursor changes into a cross and it lets me select a portion of the screen by dragging it. Once I release it, it takes a screen shot and asks me where I want to save it.
Hmm, odd! That does nothing on mine, PrtSc, PrtSc + Shift, PrtSc + fn, PrtSc + Shift + fn, nothing! I'm running Cinnamon 19.2 in VBox, could that be an issue?. Minor issue frankly, the app works!

Lady Fitzgerald
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Moem wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:36 am
Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
OK, I'm going blind in my old age. I never even saw the cursor change. Yeesh!

Even more curious, after taking the screen shot, you get the same save or copy to clipboard screen that Gnome Screenshot has. Methinks I'll go back to bed, now; I'm getting a headache. :? :wink:

1NEWLINUXUSER
Level 3
Level 3

Post by 1NEWLINUXUSER »

Hmm, another oddity! Where as w/my W10 laptop w/Cinn 19.2 in VBox & PrtSc does absolutely nothing, on my older W7 laptop w/Mate 19.2, PrtSc + fn takes a full screen shot!

Just FYI!

Return to “Newbie Questions”