Filling in the blanks getting TPLINK T2UH AC600 to work

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
CPinGP
Level 1
Level 1

Filling in the blanks getting TPLINK T2UH AC600 to work

Post by CPinGP » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:07 pm

I've been an application programmer using Xenix and Linux over the years, so I'm a baby step above complete newbie, maybe.

After my XP PC died, I swapped the m/b, added more memory and a larger drive and set out to make Linux work for me. I'm running Sarah.

I want to "cut the cord" with wired internet connectivity, and have a Franklin R 850 mobile hotspot that is working well with my wireless devices including an old Dell Inspiron trying hard to run W7. It connects at 8+ Mbps, adequate for my purposes and faster than the AT&T ethernet my PC is getting

I got a TP-Link WN725-N and got some help making it work, but it ran so slow, so I took it back, and got a TPLINK T2UH AC600. Searching the forum, I found a link to a user who posted instructions on tweaking to make some existing driver compilation procedure work on Sarah. My problem is I think I need to take steps that are not specifically documented in the link.

I'll post the link at the bottom, but here's the first question:

He (shall we say) writes:
After you install that module the same is not activated and not binded on NetworkManager and you have follow some steps for complete install and activate that module
then adds instructions about modifying a config file
I have a driver CD, but don't know how to get to "install that module."

Here's the link; I won't post questions about his further instructions until we can work through this :)

https://github.com/Hygens/mt7610u_wifi_ ... 30916/wiki

Thanks!

CPinGP
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Filling in the blanks getting TPLINK T2UH AC600 to work

Post by CPinGP » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:11 pm

I'll mark this solved soon, and more quickly than expected replies. In short, three or so weeks ago, I posted a question about establishing a wireless connection and was immediately given good info that included downloading and compiling a driver. Yay! When I reported back that the connection was intolerably slow, I got no replies.

I marked it "solved", and asked a Newbie question about the best way to get feed back. Got some good info about using Google on the site to get better search results, researching the site for useful info, etc. Don't expect to have my hand held if I can't help myself a little bit. Use "bumping" to keep the problem in current rotation.

Taking that to heart, I composed this, I believe, polite and informed, query. I think I somehow stepped on a toe or two with no intention of doing so. If no moderators are reading, well, my first post was very quickly worked with, and I appreciate it. If moderators see it, but its not their area, I understand that, but see previous sentence. If I've stumped the panel, then it would be a kindness to let me know, give some kind of feedback.

Not mad, just a bit let down. I've abandoned the notion of using wireless with my PC.

turtlebay
Level 5
Level 5

Post by turtlebay » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:05 pm

Everyone here is a volunteer and the only thing we have in common is that we are Linux Mint users.
CPinGP wrote: If I've stumped the panel, then it would be a kindness to let me know, give some kind of feedback.
You have not paid for Mint and there is no 'panel' either, so don't expect a support service from us, especially on complex issues that possibly no one here has any experience with. Along with everyone else here who answers questions, I have a full time day job that does not involve computers at all.

The fact that you are ' an application programmer using Xenix and Linux over the years', you are probably far more experienced in your field than anyone else here!

CPinGP
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Filling in the blanks getting TPLINK T2UH AC600 to work [Solved]

Post by CPinGP » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:11 pm

Duly noted that no feedback means no knowledge. Again, I wasn't trying to be a pain, just doing the best I could from my side to get answers. Thanks for all the hard work you are doing.

grumpy_geek
Level 2
Level 2

Post by grumpy_geek » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:35 pm

CPinGP wrote:don't know how to get to "install that module"
Did you have a look at this: https://github.com/OpenELEC/OpenELEC.tv ... -167583422 ...?

HTH

CPinGP
Level 1
Level 1

Post by CPinGP » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:25 pm

Thanks, grump_geek! That link assumes more skill than I possess.

Return to “Newbie Questions”