Dual monitor woes in mint mate

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
NoWinBob
Level 1
Level 1

Dual monitor woes in mint mate

Post by NoWinBob »

I notice that this version of Mint Still has issues with dual monitor setups.At first I thought it was specific to my HP laptop(Elitebook 6930p).However I tried the USB installer on my old Gateway desktop and it was even worse-unusable.Is this maybe because my second monitor is actually a TV?All other distros I have tried (zorin,peppermint,lubuntu,kubuntu)have had this same issue.Ubuntu 16.04 is the only one I have been able to get dual monitors to work.Is that just the way it is?To clarify,I haven't been able to get this working with the respective UI's and was hoping some kindly guru could walk me through a command line fix,if there is one.The ultimate goal would be to use Mint Mate on the desktop as well as the laptop.

BlackWolf72
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Dual monitor woes in mint mate

Post by BlackWolf72 »

Hi NoWinBob,

Your Dual Monitor issue is it happening before, during or after completing the installation ?

I do have 3 monitors (HDMI, VGA and CVI) and to be able to install most of the Linux Distro, I need to disconnect 2 out of 3 monitors. Install Linux and then reconnect the monitors. Also, make sure to have the proper driver for you video card. Nice work for the native driver but when you are getting into "complex" setup like having more then 1 monitor connect to you computer, you need the right driver.

Actually running Linux Mint 18.1 and have to say it's the easiest" Linux distro I used for the past couple of years. I did install it and most of the software I install went super smooth (No additional library or tweaking the installer to make it to work) Thank to the Mint team for your hard work !

Hope that help.

NoWinBob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NoWinBob »

This has been a persistent problem after installation on both computers.To clarify,the dual screens work fine with the correct resolution,but only with the main monitor on the left side.When I try to reverse the positions to get the main monitor on the right side,it won't change.Would this have anything to do with only having VGA connectors for the second monitor?It is fairly old hardware and doesn't have any other option.I will look into the driver issue.Thanks

trytip
Level 12
Level 12

Post by trytip »

are you trying to see the same screen on both monitor/tv? or is this an extended desktop two monitors as one?

NoWinBob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NoWinBob »

Extended,I think.Watch video on one,surf on the other.

trytip
Level 12
Level 12

Post by trytip »

ok, i'll take my leave since i use 17.3/mate/64bit with nvidia. all i do is open displays in control panel, select my TV and turn on where i get extended view. i use s-video to connect to an older tv

i have 2 dvi outputs and one s-video if i connect a second monitor to my other dvi which i never used i get a black screen probably because i wasn't using it at the time of installation

have BOTH monitor/tv ON and boot with a live usb ... do you get the same reaction?

NoWinBob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NoWinBob »

Yes,trytip.I think it is not a malfunction;that's just the way the utility was written.As I think I mentioned before,the dual monitor utility worked perfectly on this same hardware with Ubuntu 16.04.Also,I have had this same issue on my desktop,which is completely different hardware,and also works fine with Ubuntu.It seems strange that Mint,which is based on Ubuntu,would act differently on the same hardware.Oh,well,I don't really need to use a second monitor on the laptop,unless the other computer dies.I am still pretty impressed with the way almost everything just works on Linux.On the old Gateway desktop there were three different hardware issues,driver related,that worked instantly on Linux.I'm really only worried about this because I would like to get a newer,or maybe brand new laptop to replace both of these old clunkers.I wont do that until/unless I can figure out how to get stuff working on Linux laptops in general.

Return to “Newbie Questions”