Backup (CLONE) Linux Mint

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
theeyan
Level 4
Level 4

Backup (CLONE) Linux Mint

Post by theeyan » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:01 pm

Hi guys,

I was wondering if it's possible to basically clone everything from my current system on an external HDD? And I do mean everything? Browser setting, thunderbird settings, programs, stuff on the HDD, stuff on desktop... Everything? Create a carbon copy and then import it to a fresh system and have everything be the same? (-:

grumpy_geek
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Backup (CLONE) Linux Mint

Post by grumpy_geek » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:17 pm

theeyan wrote:basically clone everything
http://clonezilla.org/

chrisuk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chrisuk » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:21 pm

I do it often using the Clone option of Timeshift - just include your Home folder on the "Advanced Options" tab. Timeshift takes care of Grub and fstab as part of the clone process. You can clone to any Ext4 partition, as long as there's enough space.

I only ever install one version of a Linux OS, I clone that install to my other PCs using Timeshift.
Chris

Manjaro MATE - MX Linux - LMDE MATE

deepakdeshp
Level 16
Level 16

Post by deepakdeshp » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:25 pm

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

theeyan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by theeyan » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:55 pm

Awesome stuff! Really! Thanks guys! Your help is much appreciated. Will get on to cloning my system then, heh (-:

Return to “Newbie Questions”