best distro for my netbook

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
gonzalogu
Level 1
Level 1

best distro for my netbook

Post by gonzalogu »

Hi, Ive just fixed and old Acer Aspire One netbook and Im running live Mint 17.3 Xfce (32bits, i think). Is this the best distro for the netbook? I want it fast, no fancy desktops needed. I would be using it mainly for office purposes and browsing, of course.

Some info about the netbook

2gb ram
*-cpu
description: CPU
product: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N570 @ 1.66GHz
vendor: Intel Corp.
physical id: 1a
bus info: cpu@0
version: 6.12.10
serial: 0001-06CA-0000-0000-0000-0000
slot: CPU
size: 1333MHz
capacity: 1666MHz
width: 64 bits
clock: 667MHz
capabilities: x86-64 fpu

*-pci
description: Host bridge
product: Atom Processor D4xx/D5xx/N4xx/N5xx DMI Bridge
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 100
bus info: pci@0000:00:00.0
version: 02
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
configuration: driver=agpgart-intel
resources: irq:0

Thanx in advanced!

g

deleted

Re: best distro for my netbook

Post by deleted »

..and you want it fun.
I run KDE Mint 18 (64 bit) on my ASUS 1015E. If you haven't done so yet, I'd put an SSD in it.
Youtube showed me how to do that since they're not technically made to swap out a hard dirve.
-H

supertuxkart
Level 4
Level 4

Post by supertuxkart »

I think it's better if you keep it on Mint 17.3 ( Mate or XFCE ) the processor is weak.
The new Mints are likely to be little bit heavy for this netbook, more than the previous.

Surely a SSD can help, but you can get the best performance if you have a SATA III interface.
If the computer has a SATA o SATA II, the speed will not improve a lot.

The ASUS 1015E has a Celeron 847, which is better because has a doubled TDP than the N570 and a SATA III interface which makes the machine go faster.

deleted

Post by deleted »

^ Yeah it's like a miniature laptop.
A real chip and a 1366x768 display.
-H

Tomgin5
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Tomgin5 »

The Atom processor will handle 17.3 nearly any version. I have a Asus Eee PC 1001 PX with an Atom N450 single core with a 1.66Ghz clock, 2 GIG RAM and a 320GIG SSD. LM 17.3 Cinnamon 64. It runs fine! True it is a little slow but a lot faster than the XP that was on it. OK for word processing and browsing and email. It even shows movies from a DVD burner that is plugged into a USB port from the battery. It is no gamer though! :mrgreen:

elixxx
Level 2
Level 2

Post by elixxx »

IMHO Mint 17.x with either DE is too heavy for ATOM cpu's.

For me CUB linux is working nicely on Aspire one (atom 1,6Ghz cpu and 2GB ram). CUB development was discontinued though.
Now considering trying PIXEL x86 https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... d-details/
or maybe Q4OS https://q4os.org/ at some point.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr »

For that old machine Xfce is OK, but Peppermint OS is perhaps slightly better (because even more lightweight):
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... peppermint
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

antiX is great on lower-powered computers, too!

http://antix.mepis.org/index.php?title=Main_Page

I've got antiX running on an old computer that's been laying around here a long time that had Win98 on it. antiX runs pretty well on it, actually.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

supertuxkart
Level 4
Level 4

Post by supertuxkart »

Mint Mate 17.3 can runs even on weaker processors as ATOM N270, 1 GB RAM, if you accept it is "little bit" slowly.
Obviously without any hardware acceleration.

Mint 18 starts to be heavy.

rokytnji
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rokytnji »

I run AntiX on my Intel atom n270 touchscreen netbooks. I just found out today Firefox 53 won't run anymore on linux with out pentium 4 cpu.
I don't know about how well it even run on my intel single core atom n270 cpu anymore.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/firefox- ... 3716.shtml

You might try and to install fluxbox in Linux Mint and log into that and see if things speed up a little.

I am Dillo and Links2 browser proficient and can watch youtube with smtube player using mplayer or mpv as my viewer.

Looks like the world is leaving us behind. Slowly but surely. I'll find myself a good browser replacement for firefox/iceweasel for my netbooks.
Good luck with your search.
Linux user 475019.

Return to “Newbie Questions”