Why doesn't MintUpdate update everything?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
humdinger70

Post by humdinger70 »

I'm on Mint Cinnamon 18.1. I do a pretty good job of keeping it updated via the Update Manager. But I'm irked about one thing - apparently MintUpdate (or Update Manager) doesn't announce everything to be updated. I have it set to the middle option - show everything to be updated, but only automatically check items at levels 1 thru 3. So far so good.

But recently, I did a terminal session and did the usual Debian/Ubuntu thing - 'sudo apt-get update' followed by 'sudo apt-get upgrade'. And, to my surpise, it listed about a dozen things that did NOT show up in Update Manager - Libdbus, systemd, grub2. So those did not get updated by the GUI interface - using it said my system was 'up to date'. Yeah right.

I wound up doing the upgrades via the terminal session, so I knew it was fully updated.

So Clem, what's the story here? :x Why did some of these items NOT show up in the Update Manager? I shouldn't have to do the extra 'apt-get' commands to ensure that my box is fully updated. :roll:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Turtletronic
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Why doesn't MintUpdate update everything?

Post by Turtletronic »

The manager per default handles updates level 1 to 3 but holds back levels 4 and 5 as they might break your system (yada, yada). Updating via terminal on the other hand ignores all level settings and simply installs everything. If that is what you want, change the upgrade manager settings to include levels 4 and 5.
My music library includes 83,250 tracks. My advice? Forget Amarok, Banshee, Clementine & Rhythmbox. Stick with Windows tools like MusicBee.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Hello humdinger70 and welcome to Linux Mint,

Mint has long had a grading system of sorts to grade the Updates is allows.
They are ranked 1 thru 5 according to how safe the update is. by selecting the middle choice you choose not to update ranks 4 & 5 Which
may cause breakage to the system from time to time, #'s 4& 5 updates may not have been tested well by the Devs. Or may be know to cause problems on
certain machines.
In any event if you want to change your choice you can do so by right clicking on the update manager Icon and selecting preferences then the the Levels tab
and placing an x in the boxes for #'s 4 & 5. Then they will be shown and installed during and upgrade. if you just want to see all available updates available you can
just check the show box and it will be shown in the list and will not be upgraded unless you manually select it.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

The OP may wish to re-read the description of the middle option in the update manager. It does not say that it displays everything. His misunderstanding lead to him becoming 'irked.'
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

It will--if you so instruct it.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
Divine_Serpent

Post by Divine_Serpent »

MintBean wrote:The OP may wish to re-read the description of the middle option in the update manager. It does not say that it displays everything. His misunderstanding lead to him becoming 'irked.'
Oh, now, let's be easy on the young chap.

But MintBean is right, look into how the update manager is configured. It will update literally everything, but it must be configured to do so. Also, this is ill advised, and people tend to have problems after updating the kernel. Play around with the update manager and you'll see. Please continue to reach out and ask questions if you need.
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Divine_Serpent wrote:
MintBean wrote:The OP may wish to re-read the description of the middle option in the update manager. It does not say that it displays everything. His misunderstanding lead to him becoming 'irked.'
You are right of course. Still there's a better way to ask questions and it involves less eye-rolling. :)
Divine_Serpent

Post by Divine_Serpent »

MintBean wrote:
Divine_Serpent wrote:
You are right of course. Still there's a better way to ask questions and it involves less eye-rolling. :)
I'm sure he'll learn, otherwise he wouldn't be here. (or she, whichever OP is)
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

It's a feature, not a bug.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

humdinger70 wrote:So Clem, what's the story here?
The story is here. If after the command line upgrade a regression should happen, you have the answer.
lmintnewb2

Post by lmintnewb2 »

^ Thanks for that link Cosmo.

Typed out a massive post on this but thought better of it. Will restrict to a couple choice comments instead. Op it's clear Mint HQ leaves a person the freedom to manage OS packages as they see fit, whether gui or cli.

But think unless someone is on the same skill level as Clem, Mint devs and maintainers and has any clue what's involved in keeping up a distro reportedly used by millions.

Many of which are newbish with no interest in ever really looking at a cmd prompt and w a buntu upstream base on top of that, then would say such people aren't likely to have any clue what they're talking about.

While also true Mint has plenty of gnu/Nix cli ninjas and highly skilled tech junkies in the community too, everybody is free to handle package management however they prefer.

While for the aforementioned reasons, will gladly leave it up to Clem and Mint HQ to know/do what's best for the overall userbase and how Mint is config'ed default. People can rest assured they have reasons for why X, is Z etc.

Still came out a monster! :)
humdinger70

Post by humdinger70 »

Looks like I found the issue. I had the level preferences originally set to display level 4 and 5 items, but I think the last update from 18.0 to 18.1 caused it to no longer 'stick'. Within Update Manager, I do Edit>Preferences>Levels and mark levels 4 and 5 as 'visible', but leave 'safe' as unchecked. Hit Apply, then do a 'refresh' When nothing happens, I go back to Edit>Preferences>Levels and...

'Visible' is once again unchecked. As is 'Safe?'. For both levels 4 and 5.

So to work around it, I use the 'update policy' as 'always update everything'. And I will watch what happens.

So MintUpdate *IS* at fault. And needs a fix.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Open a terminal and enter

Code: Select all

ls -la ~/.config/linuxmint
Provide the output.
Divine_Serpent

Post by Divine_Serpent »

Cosmo. wrote:Open a terminal and enter

ls -la ~/.config/linuxmint
Provide the output.
I'm not OP, but I was curious as to what you'e terminal command does, and this is what I got:

ls: cannot access '/home/USER/.config/linuxmint': No such file or directory
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

@Divine_Serpent:

There is possibly something wrong.
For further discussion open your own thread and don't forget to provide the info of the command inxi -Sz. Without minimal system specs it is impossible to provide serious help.
buteman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by buteman »

One reason I would not want it to update everything is because I have a very recent laptop. Mint 18.1 comes with the default kernel of 4.4.0-53
Neither sound nor wifi will work with it or other 4.4.x-x kernels. It works fine with 4.8.0-34
If I had it set to update everything it would stick a 4.4.x-x kernel on and wreck my system so I would have to sort it all out again.
It's only working because a very patient knowledgeable JeremeyB advised me on what to do.
At the moment it wants to put 4.4.0-62.83 on it.

Return to “Beginner Questions”