[RESOLVED]Am i missing a library?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AmericanPi

[RESOLVED]Am i missing a library?

Post by AmericanPi »

-
- Hey Ya'll :8
-

So i tried to do run a program form the CLI but got this

Code: Select all

/opt/gzdoom/gzdoom: error while loading shared libraries: libmpg123.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
So does this mean I'm missing a library :?:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AmericanPi

Re: Am i missing a library?

Post by AmericanPi »

-
-
-

All I know is .so files are like dll's and load when I execute a program they depend on.
_so I checked usr/local/lib but only have some Python stuff
__I also checked usr/lib but there's no gzdoom folder there or a folder for that library.
___I tried to

sudo apt-get install lib123.so.0
but got

E: Unable to locate package libmpg123.so.0
E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'libmpg123.so.0'
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'libmpg123.so.0'
so I don't know.

___so I don't know. I think I'm missing a library, couldn't find info on this.
____any advice my mint peeps?

tx :D
Last edited by AmericanPi on Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Do you have libmpg123-0:amd64 and libmpg123-0:i386 installed :?:

The file that's giving you the error is a symlink to libmpg123.so.0.41.2

[bill@XPS] ~/script $ l /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libmpg123.so.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 19 Sep 27 19:07 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libmpg123.so.0 -> libmpg123.so.0.41.2
[bill@XPS] ~/script $ 
AmericanPi

Post by AmericanPi »

WharfRat wrote:Do you have libmpg123-0:amd64 and libmpg123-0:i386 installed :?:

The file that's giving you the error is a symlink to libmpg123.so.0.41.2
I tried to look for it but couldn't find it so...no :?:
_also, I tried to install it and got the errors I posted.
__what should I do with the code you gave me?
AmericanPi

Post by AmericanPi »

-
- Progress :!:
-

So i

sudo apt-get install libmgd123-0:amd64
and it my baby installed the library.
I'm going to try to run my program again now.

_ok so it's ok now. It can't find a doom wad now so....library problem solved and some good lessons learned.

tx Whar Rat
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: [RESOLVED]Am i missing a library?

Post by phd21 »

Hi "AmericanPi",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

You do know that there are various "Doom" game options available in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) on your Linux Mint machine including those that allow you to install (or create and modify) "doom.wad" game files? Search for "Doom" in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM): "Doomsday", "Dhewm3", doom-wad-shareware, chocolate-doom, "freedoom", etc...

And, I see another post called "Fun with Doom2 and GZDoom"
viewtopic.php?f=225&t=221017

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
AmericanPi

Re: [RESOLVED]Am i missing a library?

Post by AmericanPi »

-
- @phd21
-
You seem to be confused.
phd21 wrote: ...It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.
We have already worked through and resolved my issue so there is no need for this information.
phd21 wrote: You do know that there are various "Doom" game options available in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) on your Linux Mint machine including those that allow you to install (or create and modify) "doom.wad" game files? Search for "Doom" in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM): "Doomsday", "Dhewm3", doom-wad-shareware, chocolate-doom, "freedoom", etc...
This is not relevant to this post which discusses missing libraries. Please only post relevant posts so as to not confuse readers.
phd21 wrote:
And, I see another post called "Fun with Doom2 and GZDoom"
viewtopic.php?f=225&t=221017
Also irrelevant.
phd21 wrote: Hope this helps ...
Thanks for giving it a try. Any contribution, however irrelevant, is appreciated.

Return to “Beginner Questions”