How to add [SOLVED]? - How to mark a thread as [SOLVED]?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
de Dion

How to add [SOLVED]? - How to mark a thread as [SOLVED]?

Post by de Dion »

I can add [SOLVED] to the original post as directed, but if I then click on "submit" will this not also submit the first post again.Guidance needed please.Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: How to add [SOLVED]

Post by Moem »

You do it by editing the very first post in the topic. You can get there by clicking on the little pencil icon that's on the row of buttons on every post you have made, on the right hand side.

It edits the first post, it does not re-submit it. There are no adverse effects.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Might be a good idea to pin this topic, as the question comes nearly every second day.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Shouldn't [SOLVED] now be added to the beginning of the subject of *this* thread?
[SOLVED] How to add [SOLVED] :lol:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: How to add [SOLVED]? - How to mark a thread as [SOLVED]?

Post by karlchen »

<moderator on>
Made this thread sticky, even though the instruction on how to mark a thread as [solved] can be found in some users' signatures. And if I am not totally mistaken, then a moderator tells so, too, in her signature. :wink:
</moderator off>
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
de Dion

Post by de Dion »

Thank you all for your kind help.
John. [AKA de Dion.]
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

karlchen wrote:even though the instruction on how to mark a thread as [solved] can be found in some users' signatures. And if I am not totally mistaken, then a moderator tells so, too, in her signature. :wink:
What reveals the sense or nonsense of signatures, which are not sticky = at hand if needed. Above that they can get disabled from display with a legitimate board setting.

This pinned thread is surely the place, where it is most likely to get read. I am now very anxious to watch, how often the question will still get asked.
ephraimshofar

Post by ephraimshofar »

Thank you for putting a sticky on this. Somehow I missed it, and I was wondering, so count me in as one of the ones who would have asked it.
ian_scott

Post by ian_scott »

I would like to mark a post as "solved" and clicked the pencil but it is not obvious to see how to mark anything as "solved"

Would it not be better to adopt a better method - adding an obvious icon to indicate "solved" would solve any future problems. Unclear methods will always cause confusion and attract ongoing questions on this topic. There are icons for everything else and people expect simple and obvious methods to accomplish a task. I suggest that this continuing problem would be "solved" by simply adopting a simple and obvious method that anyone visiting these forums can use and then this thread can be marked as "solved" and I can then also mark my thread as "solved".
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

ian_scott wrote:I would like to mark a post as "solved" and clicked the pencil but it is not obvious to see how to mark anything as "solved"
Moem has explained the howto in a pretty concise way in her signature
If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the topic and adding [SOLVED] to the title.
But permit me to repeat the steps using my own words nonetheless:
  • Only the thread starter can mark his/her thread as [solved].
  • In order to do so, he/she clicks the [Edit] button (pencil icon) in the opening post of the thread.
  • He/she adds [solved] to the thread title and clicks [Submit].
  • Done.
If the forum software permitted to achieve the same goal by clicking on an icon the forum administrators would have enabled this icon. But apparently phpbb does not offer such a functionality out of the box.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
ian_scott

Post by ian_scott »

Thank you for your reply karichen

I followed your advice on the thread and perhaps it worked. The method on offer is clumsy and non obvious and I suggest that your forum web designers are the architects of their own problems. I have suggested using a simple and obvious approach to marking threads as "solved" with a very clear and simple icon - the Ubuntu forums offer this for example. However such suggestions fall on deaf ears/eyes I guess, however obvious they were or should have been. Status quo reigns - not my idea I don't want to know I guess is the philosophy in current vogue.

Possibly "no such things as stupid questions" in Forum rules but obviously this does not extend to "stupid suggestions" does it? Anyway I have better things to get on with and don't expect any improvement.
ephraimshofar

Post by ephraimshofar »

Thank you for your reply karichen
I followed your advice on the thread and perhaps it worked. The method on offer is clumsy and non obvious and I suggest that your forum web designers are the architects of their own problems. I have suggested using a simple and obvious approach to marking threads as "solved" with a very clear and simple icon - the Ubuntu forums offer this for example. However such suggestions fall on deaf ears/eyes I guess, however obvious they were or should have been. Status quo reigns - not my idea I don't want to know I guess is the philosophy in current vogue.
Possibly "no such things as stupid questions" in Forum rules but obviously this does not extend to "stupid suggestions" does it? Anyway I have better things to get on with and don't expect any improvement.
No offense, but I personally thought the [SOLVED] method of the author of the thread putting it in as quite ingenious, actually. The only thing I might suggest to improve it is by putting instructions to do the same at the top of the Thread as an advisory statement when the Thread is created. It's great that WE, the creators of the Thread can be the ones to mark the threads that we create as such; that way it's verified. Too many times in other Forums of various types over the years I have seen a 3rd party mark it as "solved" when it was NOT solved in the eyes of the Thread's Author.
thelifeofapanca

Post by thelifeofapanca »

Thank you very much :)
SBurr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SBurr »

I have tried this, with one of my threads. followed all the steps, clicked the pencil in the opening post, added [SOLVED] and clicked Submit.

I got sent back to the editing screen, with this message:

Post review

This post has been altered by another user while you were editing it. You may wish to review the current version of this post and adjust your edits.

I clicked Submit again:

This is what I saw:

Wrong distro booting-[SOLVED] #Thread title
Wrong distro booting-[SOLVED] # Subject
My post followed

but when I clicked on the thread title, it reverted to the old title. My [SOLVED] edit isn't being accepted, in other words.
SBurr
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SBurr »

Update: Now it has!

Oh well,
turtlebay

Post by turtlebay »

You add it to the title on your first post, then click 'Submit'..
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Sticky removed. This is in "Before you post please read how to get help" link at the top of this forum on each page:
[9] Indicate Solved Topics
  • When an issue has been resolved for you, please edit the original post to include <SOLVED> in the title. This provides a good indicator for users with a similar problem to check out the topic. Please make sure the solution that worked for you is clearly indicated, especially if more than one solution has been proposed. If your solution came from outside the forum then describe it or post a link to it. Following these simple instructions will help other users find success solving similar problems.
If people don't read that one, they won't read this one? It is also in the forum rules. Both are also in the announcements block on each forum. If there is enough reason to make a sticky topic for this, let's make it a single post one with clear instructions and not a discussion thread.

Return to “Beginner Questions”