MSI GE62 6QF Apache Pro

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
ladyonthemoon
Level 1
Level 1

MSI GE62 6QF Apache Pro

Post by ladyonthemoon » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:47 am

Hello everyone,

I just bought the computer referenced in the title and I plan on installing Linux Mint 18.1 "Serena" Cinnamon on it. I'd like to know if the computer is compatible with this version.

Computer specifications: https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GE62-6QF-Apa ... cification

I understand that some features this computer has won't work under Linux.

Thank you for your answer!

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Re: MSI GE62 6QF Apache Pro

Post by Cosmo. » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:29 am

I don't see a reason, why it should not work. But try it yourself: Download and burn the iso image of Mint and boot it as life system.

ladyonthemoon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ladyonthemoon » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:00 am

Cosmo. wrote:I don't see a reason, why it should not work. But try it yourself: Download and burn the iso image of Mint and boot it as life system.
Thanks but I'd like to make sure before doing this. I'd mainly like to know if, once Linux Mint installed, 3D acceleration will be functional. There are proprietary drivers for the graphics card that is installed in the computer but they were not specifically made for Mint, the page just mentions "Linux x64": http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverRe ... 2992/en-us

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:38 pm

The live system can - possibly - also give you this answer. 3D acceleration does not need in every case the proprietary driver (which indeed cannot get tested with the live system). Launching the live system does not do any changes to your computer, so this is not a one way road.

The alternative would be to wait, if and until another user with the very same hardware replies. I have no idea, if and how quickly this will happen.

Return to “Newbie Questions”