Linux Mint 18 = Ubuntu 16.04 + Cinnamon 3.0?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
ladyonthemoon
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint 18 = Ubuntu 16.04 + Cinnamon 3.0?

Post by ladyonthemoon » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:12 am

The title is a description of Linux Mint that I read on another forum. I'd like to know if it's true. If it's not, I'd like to know what are the main differences between the two distributions.

Thank you! :)

richyrich
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Linux Mint 18 = Ubuntu 16.04 + Cinnamon 3.0?

Post by richyrich » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:30 am

A couple of things come to mind . . Mint's own stuff; Driver Manager, Software Manager, Update Manager (with unique safety features), all of the new X programs . . . .

Pjotr
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pjotr » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:56 am

As richyrich says. That forum statement is just as unfounded as saying that "Ubuntu is just Debian with Unity". :lol:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 18.3 Sylvia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

ladyonthemoon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ladyonthemoon » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:00 am

richyrich wrote:A couple of things come to mind . . Mint's own stuff; Driver Manager, Software Manager, Update Manager (with unique safety features), all of the new X programs . . . .
Pjotr wrote:As richyrich says. That forum statement is just as unfounded as saying that "Ubuntu is just Debian with Unity". :lol:
So I thought. Thanks to you both! :)

MintBean
Level 9
Level 9

Post by MintBean » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:55 am

richyrich wrote:A couple of things come to mind . . Mint's own stuff; Driver Manager, Software Manager, Update Manager (with unique safety features), all of the new X programs . . . .
...plus mintstick, mint nanny, this support forum, the Cinnamon spices website, full integration of the desktop with the OS (you don't get that if you install it yourself without a fair bit of work); and not to forget, if there was no Mint then Cinnamon wouldn't have existed in the first place.

Cosmo.
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Cosmo. » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:22 pm

ladyonthemoon wrote:The title is a description of Linux Mint that I read on another forum.
This sounds like a writing of somebody, who knows a little bit about the matter and believes, that (s)he knows all about it. But actually the author of this line only shows, how limited his / her knowledge is.

Correct is only one thing: Mint is based on Ubuntu. But the next part (right to the + sign) is already false. Cinnamon is only 1 of 4 possible desktop environments, which you can get. So for 3 of 4 editions this line is simply wrong. Further more Mint has some more features added, which Ubuntu does not provide and which are independent from the desktop environment; the most noticeable and important one is the update manager.

Return to “Newbie Questions”