keyboard settings

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mickeymops
Level 1
Level 1

keyboard settings

Post by mickeymops »

If I have more than one keyboard setting like cyrillic, when trying to log in the system would show "wrong password" unless before logging out english was set again, but is there a way around this without having to set english again, that is - how do you log in with a cyrillic or any other foreign keyboard setting?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
magnus7
Level 4
Level 4

Re: keyboard settings

Post by magnus7 »

What's your desktop and LM version?
Which keyboard layout do you want when you log in?
mickeymops
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mickeymops »

magnus7 wrote:What's your desktop and LM version?
Hi, I'm on Xfce latest version 18.1

I'm asking if you have for example Russian cyrillic and German as keyboards with the password set on the German, if you log out with the Russian still selected the system will not recognize your password when you next login - you would be locked out permanently with only a choice of a reinstall of the whole system! So is there a way around this problem?

Maybe future passwords should be recognized by the keyboard keys pressed rather than the language letters, numbers and special characters.
mickeymops
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mickeymops »

mickeymops wrote:
magnus7 wrote:What's your desktop and LM version?
Hi, I'm on Xfce latest version 18.1

I'm asking if you have for example Russian cyrillic and German as keyboards with the password set on the German, if you log out with the Russian still selected the system will not recognize your password when you next login - you would be locked out permanently with only a choice of a reinstall of the whole system! So is there a way around this problem?

Maybe future passwords should be recognized by the keyboard keys pressed rather than the language letters, numbers and special characters.
Or maybe the system should always default to the password language on login, but I'm guessing it does not do that.
magnus7
Level 4
Level 4

Post by magnus7 »

The login keyboard layout is a default layout chosen during installation. You can change it in terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration
Keyboard layouts chosen via Preferences > Keyboard don't have any impact on login.
If you want to switch keyboards (hardware), select new password with symbols which are shared by both languages.
mickeymops
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mickeymops »

magnus7 wrote:The login keyboard layout is a default layout chosen during installation. You can change it in terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration
Keyboard layouts chosen via Preferences > Keyboard don't have any impact on login.
If you want to switch keyboards (hardware), select new password with symbols which are shared by both languages.
So even if the system is put on screen lock or standby needing a password (which won't work if a foreign keyboard was used last), it's just a case of shutting down completely and the system will automatically reboot to the installation keyboard setting? However I don't understand your "keyboard don't have any impact on login" - surely a keyboard does if a password is required? Thank you for your answer, I can relax now knowing the system defaults to installation keyboard on boot.
magnus7
Level 4
Level 4

Post by magnus7 »

mickeymops wrote:However I don't understand your "keyboard don't have any impact on login" - surely a keyboard does if a password is required?
It's just a different usage of the term "login". For me it means starting a new session by a user, not unblocking screen lock or suspension.

Return to “Beginner Questions”