How can I restart Cinnamon remotely?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Sztolarsik
Level 2
Level 2

How can I restart Cinnamon remotely?

Post by Sztolarsik »

Occasionally my Cinnamon appears to lock up. I can not move the mouse and the keyboard does not respond. I also can not open a terminal and even the [Ctrl]+[Alt]+[Backspace] combination does not work.

However, Mint is still running just fine in the background, I just can't interact with it. For example, if I had a radio stream, it is still playing. I can also ssh into the box from another computer and issue commands (for example, I can issue a “shutdown -r now” and reboot the computer).

I have not identified any specific application that causes Cinnamon to hang like this. Sometimes I may be running a graphics intensive game and other times I may not have any significant application running but I am just listening to the radio or editing a text file. I also do not know how to induce the problem; it appears almost random to me.

I have two questions:

1. When I ssh into the box, I can run any CLI command. For example, I can do a “ps -aef” and I can kill processes. What is the command to force Cinnamon to restart?

2. How do I go about troubleshooting the problem and identify the cause?

I am running Linux Mint 17.3 (Rosa with 3.13.0-37-generic kernel).
VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Kaveri [Radeon R7 Graphics] (rev d4)
OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon R7 Graphics
OpenGL version string: 4.5.13416 Compatibility Profile Context 15.201.1151
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Vupocy2

Re: How can I restart Cinnamon remotely?

Post by Vupocy2 »

I had such issues (Cinnamon 2.6 or 2.8 freezes). Please write your CPU (overclocked or not ?), RAM speed, motherboard and BIOS version.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Sztolarsik wrote:What is the command to force Cinnamon to restart?
cinnamon-launcher - Start or restart a cinnamon session
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Sztolarsik
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Sztolarsik »

Thank you for the responses.

CPU (NOT overclocked): AMD A10-7870K
RAM speed: 1866 (G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3)
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A88X Extreme6+ FM2+/FM2 AMD A88X (Bolton D4)
BIOS version: American Megatrends Inc., Version: P4.20 (01/13/2016)
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

When you ssh to the frozen box, tail /var/log/syslog and /var/log/kern.log for any clues.

Also check ~/.xsession-errors, but keep in mind that some of the messages might be superfluous.

Issuing sudo service mdm restart should restart the desktop.

Did you try getting to a vt with ctl-alt-f2 when it froze :?:

Return to “Beginner Questions”