[SOLVED] Samba won't run in 18.1?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Samba won't run in 18.1?

Post by altair4 »

Any idea why I cannot see the 10 box from the Linux box?
Just to make sure I understand your last post:

Win10 can see and access the Linux box but the Linux box can't see the Win10 box?

Or neither the Linux box or the Win10 box can see each other?
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Banzai Beagle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Banzai Beagle »

Win 10 and Win XP boxes can both now see and access shared folders and files on the Linux box.

The Linux box can see the XP box but only mount one directory - attempts to mount another shared directory yield the dreaded enter user id and password dialog.

Linux box cannot see the Win 10 box.

XP box can see & access Win 10 box and vice versa.

Also, after I unmount the XP box from the desktop, it no longer appears in the Windows shares. When I type in sudo apt-get install samba the XP box reappears.

Thanks again. It is all a puzzle to me...
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I have no explanation for the symptoms you describe. Especially the part about installing samba since it should already be installed at this point.

Do you have a religious, political, philosophical, or perhaps sexual objection to using Ubuntu instead. Samba with all of it's correct dependencies will automatically be installed for you when you first attempt to create a share with it's file manager.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Banzai Beagle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Banzai Beagle »

Isn't Ubuntu an obscure East African dialect of Zulu? So maybe my reluctance is linguistic?

I just want the thing to work!

I'll put solved on this thread and start a new one looking for help in making Linux talk to Win 10 as this seems to be the only issue I have remaining.

Thanks for all your help Altair4! I really appreciate it!

Return to “Newbie Questions”