How do I disable my inbuilt webcam? [Solved]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
norm.h
Level 5
Level 5

How do I disable my inbuilt webcam? [Solved]

Post by norm.h »

Apart from sticking a Band-Aid over it, is it possible to disable my inbuilt webcam?
There is no FN function to do this on my laptop.

Linux Mint 18, Mate, 4.4.0-45-generic kernel
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mute Ant

Re: How do I disable my inbuilt webcam?

Post by Mute Ant »

"is it possible to disable my inbuilt webcam?" No you can't disable it...anything you do wearing a system-controller hat can be undone by sufficiently sneaky weasel-ware. I use Blu Tak.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Do you have a program installed with which you can test your webcam? If not, install Cheese.

Probably the kernel module to remove is uvcvideo. Try with running this command from the terminal to disable that module for this boot (when prompted typed your password and mind that you don't get any visual feedback on the terminal as you type a password):

Code: Select all

sudo rmmod uvcvideo
After running the command try starting Cheese. Does it give you a warning that no webcam is found or at least not show you anything from your webcam? If that is the case you have the correct kernel module to block. Then follow the instructions here http://www.noobslab.com/2016/03/how-to- ... aptop.html to block your webcam for every boot.
norm.h
Level 5
Level 5

Post by norm.h »

Thank you both.

xenopeek.........that worked fine.
I don't want to do it permanently as I use it on Skype weekly, but it's good to know what to do.

Mute Ant.........BluTak - :D
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: How do I disable my inbuilt webcam? [Solved]

Post by Moem »

I use one of those slidy thingies.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

serveimage.png
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

Moem wrote:I use one of those slidy thingies.
And I just saw this article on the Spyslide, and it being from the Netherlands, I had to post for Moem. :)

Joe
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

That's very thoughtful! But I have to say my plastic version is working just fine, and I don't care for looks enough to get a metal one. :wink:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
prestonR

Post by prestonR »

Apart from sticking a Band-Aid over it
I use Blu Tak
chewing gum :mrgreen:

The mics are the real problem ...

Return to “Beginner Questions”