Bluetooth keyboard interface having problems

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
1-Earth-Inhabitant
Level 1
Level 1

Bluetooth keyboard interface having problems

Post by 1-Earth-Inhabitant »

OK. I have a dual booting computer. Both Windows 7 and Linux Mint 18 Sarah Cinnamon.
The problem only exists when booting into Linux.
Intermittently, in any particular window where I have a blinking cursor, suddenly, fives (555555) start printing in rapid succession as if someone is holding down the 5 key. The only way to stop it is to press the backspace key then delete them all with either BS or the Del key. In addition often I attempt to write something and nothing happens, then suddenly something prints but often characters are missing. Both of these situations logically seem to be bluetooth related, though I'm not sure because I'm 15 feet away from the computer and require the Logitech RF keyboard and mouse.

Again remember that it only happens when I've booted into Linux, never when in Windows 7.

I've read that some users can't even get a bluetooth keyboard to work in this distribution of Linux.

Does anyone have and ideas on a fix, or can point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
'I only know, that I know nothing' --Socrates--
A good place to start, devoid of falsehoods.

MB ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming,
CPU Core i7-12700K
RAM CMK32GX4M2D3600C18
VC Phoenix GeForce RTX 3060 V2
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Bluetooth keyboard interface having problems

Post by JeremyB »

It is actually just a bug with logitech devices. Post results for

Code: Select all

uname -a
I will see if I can find the fix.

EDIT Actually the fix should be in later 4.4 kernels so go into the Linux Mint Update Manager, then click View, Linux kernels and install one that is newer than 4.4.0-32. Reboot after the kernel is installed and the problem should be gone
1-Earth-Inhabitant
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Bluetooth keyboard interface having problems

Post by 1-Earth-Inhabitant »

JeremyB wrote:It is actually just a bug with logitech devices. Post results for

Code: Select all

uname -a
I will see if I can find the fix.

EDIT Actually the fix should be in later 4.4 kernels so go into the Linux Mint Update Manager, then click View, Linux kernels and install one that is newer than 4.4.0-32. Reboot after the kernel is installed and the problem should be gone
Thanks for your time! I really appreciate it!

Originally I had 4.4.0-21 installed, so I installed 4.4.0.34 because it was the only option listed that was greater than 4.4.0-32. Since it was a random problem I have no idea if it's fixed or not, but as soon as a fair amount of time goes by without incident, I'll mark this thread solved.

Again, thanks JeremyB!

Take care!

1-Earth-Inhabitant

P.S. Do you recommend I leave 4.4.0-21 installed? Of course booting defaults to -34. TIA
'I only know, that I know nothing' --Socrates--
A good place to start, devoid of falsehoods.

MB ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming,
CPU Core i7-12700K
RAM CMK32GX4M2D3600C18
VC Phoenix GeForce RTX 3060 V2

Return to “Beginner Questions”