New to Linux. Dual boot with Windows 10. boot screen

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Danny Fitzgerald
Level 1
Level 1

New to Linux. Dual boot with Windows 10. boot screen

Post by Danny Fitzgerald »

Hello I am new to Linux operating system and mint. I have partitioned my computer to have Windows 10 on one and Linux Mint 18.1 on the other.

When i turn the computer on i get the boot screen but the problem is every now and then it changes and i am not sure why. Sometimes it shows me the options with a black screen and white text and it is low resolution and if i click windows i get a low resolution blue windows icon and it takes a few seconds and starts with a few screen flashes. other times it comes up in a blue box and is high resolution and if i click windows i see a high resolution HP icon and then windows starts right away with no screen flashes. why is it changing and how do i get it to start the second way i have described?

I am using a Hewlett Packard Spectre x360 laptop.

I know nothing about linux and i want to learn so soon and can use only Linux Mint. Trying to attach a photo but it says it is too large.

Cheers

Danny.
janhostdk
Level 2
Level 2

Re: New to Linux. Dual boot with Windows 10. boot screen

Post by janhostdk »

sounds to me like you need to change your boot harddisk in biosmeny, take a look at this link:
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions ... at-startup
Dell Vostro 270 4gb ram with Ubuntu 18.04.1 Mate LTS, Linux Mint 18 Sarah Mate, Win
Acer swift 3, 4gb ram with Ubuntu 18.04.1 Mate LTS

Return to “Newbie Questions”