Best method for getting microsoft office?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Username01
Level 1
Level 1

Best method for getting microsoft office?

Post by Username01 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:29 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm making this post as I would like to know which is the best method to get microsoft office on my Mint Laptop,

I know of three methods

1) wine
2) crossover
3) microsoft office online apps

I'm just wording which one is best and which one should I use?

(I know of VM software but I don't want to run all that just to use word lol)

Thank you

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Best method for getting microsoft office?

Post by Pjotr » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:37 pm

Wine and Crossover make your Linux partly vulnerable for Windows malware. So my answer would be: Office online, in the cloud.

Better yet: learn to love Libre Office. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Mute Ant
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Mute Ant » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:48 pm

"Best method for getting microsoft office?" https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/softwar ... ndows10ISO They have a pretty good record of being compatible with Microsoft products.
While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named "manual".

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:59 pm

Pjotr wrote:Better yet: learn to love Libre Office.
+1

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Hoser Rob
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Hoser Rob » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:36 am

jimallyn wrote:
Pjotr wrote:Better yet: learn to love Libre Office.
+1
Until you need to integrate with Office documents and it doesn't work. Don't think for a second this doesn't happen, and if it's a work related thing this can drive people back to Windows. I'd go the cloud route or maintain a Windows partition.

MintyO
Level 4
Level 4

Post by MintyO » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:54 am

Installing Windows on a virtual machine, or better yet normally, would be your best choice. From the choices you presented, I'd say online solution would be my pick to use along the native linux office suite. Based on what I've read, it keeps improving all the time: http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/offi ... etter.html
Ducks on the edge sleep with one eye open.

Pierre
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Pierre » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:33 am

Hoser Rob wrote: Until you need to integrate with Office documents and it doesn't work. Don't think for a second this doesn't happen, and if it's a work related thing this can drive people back to Windows. I'd go the cloud route or maintain a Windows partition.
is sure does happen, but the thing, is that 90% of stuff that people do with any Office Program,
is compatible - - it's that last 10% that is the competitive area & that is where the compatibility fails.

so - if the stuff that you wish to do, with any of the Office Programs, is in that 10% area,
then you will need to use the Microsoft Office version of the Office Suite.

therefore Username01 is this what you are needing :?: that last 10% of Office compatibility.

if so, then on any Linux system, then you may need to use 3) the Cloud Solution,
& if not, then do try Libre Office instead,
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

TooMuchTime
Level 4
Level 4

Post by TooMuchTime » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:53 pm

LibreOffice is replacing Microsoft Office in many places around the world. Here is one.

Free-software-gains-ground-in-the-Italian-public-administration

The total cost of ownership of Microsoft Office is becoming so prohibitive that many governments and businesses are finding that it just makes sense to move to LibreOffice. Mostly because they find that almost every user will never use many of the "features" of MS Office. Word? You type in some text, format the typefaces and paragraphs, save and print. Excel? Put a few numbers in some cells, add a few functions, format the sheet, save and print. Honestly, that is pretty much what an office suite is used for by the vast majority of people. Power users are another story but they do not make up the majority of office suite users. So why pay for MS Office when it's not being used to it's fullest? Exactly.

scrognoid
Level 3
Level 3

Post by scrognoid » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:10 am

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=150523

I'm still using Office 2010 with Crossover (now v16.1) and it still works great. If you are generating your own documents Libre may work fine. If you are exchanging Office docs with others you'll go crazy. That 10% incompatibility mentioned above means there is something messed up in just about every document. I retry LIbre regularly hoping I'll be able to avoid upgrading Office 2010 someday. But no. For example, I tried a large (80 page) docx that used Word's table of contents feature. It was close but the author's use of tabs in Headings turned into extra rows of periods in the table of contents. And sure, the tabs were not needed and after I spent an hour tracking them down and turning them into spaces the TOC was fine. But usually I don't have time for that.
Linux Mint 19.1 Mate; Dell XPS 13 (9343); Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz; 4 GB RAM

ralplpcr
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ralplpcr » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:20 pm

When I actually need MSOffice, I've found that PlayOnLinux has very good compatibility with Office 2007. It has all the features of Office that I need, and I haven't run into anything created on a newer version that doesn't work or display correctly. May not do as well with later versions...haven't really had anything that made me think I *must* upgrade?

For a free/alternate office, OnlyOffice is also pretty nice.

JerryF
Level 11
Level 11

Post by JerryF » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:31 pm

TooMuchTime wrote:LibreOffice is replacing Microsoft Office in many places around the world. Here is one.

Free-software-gains-ground-in-the-Italian-public-administration

The total cost of ownership of Microsoft Office is becoming so prohibitive that many governments and businesses are finding that it just makes sense to move to LibreOffice. Mostly because they find that almost every user will never use many of the "features" of MS Office. Word? You type in some text, format the typefaces and paragraphs, save and print. Excel? Put a few numbers in some cells, add a few functions, format the sheet, save and print. Honestly, that is pretty much what an office suite is used for by the vast majority of people. Power users are another story but they do not make up the majority of office suite users. So why pay for MS Office when it's not being used to it's fullest? Exactly.
So true. I've worked a lot of places and most people use the basics of Word and Excel.
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your original post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members.

Petermint
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Petermint » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:03 pm

My suggestion is to install both. Use Libreoffice. When you find an incompatibility, submit the file to LibreOffice for development.

I sometimes work on large documents with revisions and side notes. LibreOffice used to be incompatible. Now it works for complex revisioning. There may be slight differences in the display but nothing that interrupts the flow of revisions.

Microsoft made Windows 10 too difficult and they are locking the latest releases of their applications to Windows 10, plus they are locking the software in to their head office through the Internet. Despite buying the software, you will still have to use it online to Microsoft. A better approach is to fight for your freedom by actively submitting examples of incompatibility to the free open software developers.

Dave B
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Dave B » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:52 pm

Pjotr wrote:Wine and Crossover make your Linux partly vulnerable for Windows malware...
If you go the Wine route, to help protect your system, create a new user account (just for Wine use), only install Wine using that account, make sure to never launch Wine with root (superuser) privileges. Performing those steps won't offer 100% protection, but will help reduce risks a little.

Return to “Newbie Questions”