Which VPN should i use?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Nimeria
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:21 pm

Which VPN should i use?

Post by Nimeria » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:28 pm

Hello mint community,

Im new to Linux (downloaded it 2 days ago) and im in love with it! Im still learning and learning, but its so much fun. However i would like to ask a question and i hope this is the right place for it. I search a good VPN. I read many sites and many AGBs but i didnt find any good VPN service which really didnt keep logs at any circumstances, is fast, reliable and not so expensive. I really hope someone can help me since i visited 20 sites, read the terms of use and got punched in the face.- Its really frustrating!

Best regards, Nimeria

grizz
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:49 pm

Re: Which VPN should i use?

Post by grizz » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:31 pm

have a look at

https://thatoneprivacysite.net/

Read everything......

Regards
G:)

markz
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:52 pm

Re: Which VPN should i use?

Post by markz » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:13 pm

I think a quick google search would net you some great info, I use VPN Unlimited, its paid and cheap.
I am more aware of what the internet and companies can do. I stay well away from Google owned stuff, but YouTube is my downfall.
Bill Gates and Microsoft collect data also, which is one reason I am going to Linux. I read W10 is pretty horrible that way.
Also dont want to be tracked.

User avatar
Pierre
Level 16
Level 16
Posts: 6742
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:33 am
Location: Perth, AU.

Re: Which VPN should i use?

Post by Pierre » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:25 pm

do be careful when using a Free VPN service,
as you don't know their business model:
ie: how do they get paid ? selling your data ?.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content ... rvices.htm
is a list of some reviewed VPN services.
Image
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

User avatar
Faust
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 334
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:40 am

Re: Which VPN should i use?

Post by Faust » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:24 am

There is as much "snake oil" on sale in the VPN business as there is in Anti-Virus products IMO
To some degree it's a matter of trust .... they will all tell you how good / private / secure they are .

I'm wary of VPN comparison sites because some allow sponsored entries and can not be considered impartial .

These sites are worth looking at :-

https://vpntesting.info/

https://www.ivpn.net/privacy-guides/adv ... ity-part-1

Both are written by someone who is VERY knowledgeable in this area .

Mostly referring to Windows setups but some good general reading

In Mint 17.3 , I use Fruho as an easy "front end " to connect a variety of VPN services that I use .
Installing certificates in Linux Network Manager can be frustrating .....
Last edited by Faust on Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
" And so it goes " - Kurt Vonnegut
The modern reality and the satirical parody are rapidly converging .

DavidDavid
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:40 pm

Re: Which VPN should i use?

Post by DavidDavid » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:32 am

I feel pretty good about TunnelBear. But I've only used it on my phone so far.

User avatar
Moem
Level 15
Level 15
Posts: 5882
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:14 am
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Which VPN should i use?

Post by Moem » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:46 am

PIA is a sponsor of Linux Mint, so there's that.
Image

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

User avatar
JoeFootball
Level 6
Level 6
Posts: 1310
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:52 pm
Location: /home/usa/mn/minneapolis/joe

Re: Which VPN should i use?

Post by JoeFootball » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:20 am


User avatar
Faust
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 334
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:40 am

Re: Which VPN should i use?

Post by Faust » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:03 am

VPN service providers have made Windows users their primary focus and their client software is very well developed for that OS ,
although many of them leak your Ipv4 all over the place , even some of the big names ( but a person wouldn't know unless they were looking for it ) .

Their attention is now very much on the mobile market , and once again , Linux users are not well served by them.
They tend to see us a "minority" who won't yield a good return on the development costs specific to Linux .

I know it's a little off-topic but I have a list that I call the " solid-six " VPN services , and they deliver exceptional performance and security to Windows users .
But sad to say , they also don't make things particularly easy for Linux clients .

On a positive note , the free services that I have been recently testing in Mint work very well .
I'm still finding my way around VPN in Linux , and these are a good way to test the water , without any cash outlay .

There is no way I would personally vouch for them , in terms of security , privacy or anything else , but they have been useful as a starting point .
Have a look at this one maybe
https://www.securitykiss.com/resources/download/linux/

Sure , there are download limits and potential logging issues but they are free services , so you get what you pay for , I guess :)
" And so it goes " - Kurt Vonnegut
The modern reality and the satirical parody are rapidly converging .

markz
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:52 pm

Re: Which VPN should i use?

Post by markz » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:59 am

What about a VPS
Or something like BuyVM or SSD Node

User avatar
Johnh20
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:20 am

Re: Which VPN should i use?

Post by Johnh20 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:07 am

IPVanish looks reliable. I’ve found on their website, they store only registering info which may be fictive and far from your real name. What is more, the account info is used for collecting and processing payments only. So, IPVanish inspires confidence in contrast with other popular services. Plus, they provide a visual guide for installing an app on your Linux.

Mr_Levity
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:08 am

Re: Which VPN should i use?

Post by Mr_Levity » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:40 am

Moem wrote:PIA is a sponsor of Linux Mint, so there's that.
I wouldn't assume they're good because of the sponsorship alone.

User avatar
Pierre
Level 16
Level 16
Posts: 6742
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:33 am
Location: Perth, AU.

Re: Which VPN should i use?

Post by Pierre » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:02 am

Mr_Levity wrote:
Moem wrote:PIA is a sponsor of Linux Mint, so there's that.
I wouldn't assume they're good because of the sponsorship alone.
except that PIA does get rated quite well:
- Best VPN’s for anonymity
- Best VPNs for BitTorrent and P2P users
- Best value VPNs
so it can't be too bad.
:?
Image
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Mr_Levity
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:08 am

Re: Which VPN should i use?

Post by Mr_Levity » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:39 am

Pierre wrote:
Mr_Levity wrote:
Moem wrote:PIA is a sponsor of Linux Mint, so there's that.
I wouldn't assume they're good because of the sponsorship alone.
except that PIA does get rated quite well:
- Best VPN’s for anonymity
- Best VPNs for BitTorrent and P2P users
- Best value VPNs
so it can't be too bad.
:?
I'm sure it gets rated quite well on its own website (the link you gave). I bet I could find even more complaints if I cared to.

User avatar
Moem
Level 15
Level 15
Posts: 5882
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:14 am
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: Which VPN should i use?

Post by Moem » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:51 am

Mr_Levity wrote:I'm sure it gets rated quite well on its own website (the link you gave). I bet I could find even more complaints if I cared to.
Oh, you probably could. But these folks seem to like it, and so do these.

Anyway, I've not tried them. I have no opinion on their product. I only know that they sponsor Mint, which in itself is a plus, even though it obviously has no bearing on the quality of their services.
Image

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

User avatar
prestonR
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 844
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:24 pm
Location: Harare

Re: Which VPN should i use?

Post by prestonR » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:01 am

The easiest to setup is the new Opera's build-in VPN.

User avatar
sammiev
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 369
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 12:16 pm

Re: Which VPN should i use?

Post by sammiev » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:36 pm

Moem wrote:
Mr_Levity wrote:Why do you keep implying they're good if you've never tried them?
I've implied no such thing. That is all in your head. I very much agree that people should do their own research. Yet, if people want to go with a company that supports Mint financially, that option exists.
+1

I have tried many VPN suppliers over the years and PIA is cheaper and as fast the the higher price sites.

Some sites even let me test their VPN services for 3 to 7 days.

I settled with PIA before I knew that they were a sponsor on this site.

Ask to test any VPN service you may be interested in and use what works.

Watch for data caps and so on.

curtvaughan
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:54 pm
Location: Austin, Tx

Re: Which VPN should i use?

Post by curtvaughan » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:15 pm

Moem wrote:
Mr_Levity wrote:I'm sure it gets rated quite well on its own website (the link you gave). I bet I could find even more complaints if I cared to.
Oh, you probably could. But these folks seem to like it, and so do these.

Anyway, I've not tried them. I have no opinion on their product. I only know that they sponsor Mint, which in itself is a plus, even though it obviously has no bearing on the quality of their services. Nice strawman, though! 8)
I just subscribed to PIA two days ago. I've installed it on my mint 18.1 distro and cannot connect as yet. I'm in the process of getting help from the support folks on my issues. If I can't get things resolved there, I will gladly go into the details on this forum. Everything installs just fine, but after attempt after attempt to connect - and I've verified my username/pw is correct - the connection fails. Anyway, once this can be resolved, I'll report the problems and solutions. If I can get it to work on Mint, and Ubuntu, I will then attempt to activate it on Manjaro, Antergos, LMDE2, Peppermint, and Mageia ( I have these spread among three laptops), and finally with my wife's iMac at home. AIpparently PIA is being swamped with user questions after the latest assault by Trump and the Republicans on ISP privacy - I'm one of the "swampers".

Cheers.
Move from rim to hub: know the wheel.

Image

User avatar
all41
Level 12
Level 12
Posts: 4181
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:12 am
Location: Computer, Car, Cage

Re: Which VPN should i use?

Post by all41 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:15 pm

haha--Since we are swaying from the topic anyway I will offer this video link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unwujSVpZwA
@curtvaughan-your signature inspired my recollection of this.
Proud to be a supporter and monthly contributor to Mint.

User avatar
sammiev
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 369
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 12:16 pm

Re: Which VPN should i use?

Post by sammiev » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:36 pm

curtvaughan wrote:I just subscribed to PIA two days ago. I've installed it on my mint 18.1 distro and cannot connect as yet. I'm in the process of getting help from the support folks on my issues. If I can't get things resolved there, I will gladly go into the details on this forum. Everything installs just fine, but after attempt after attempt to connect - and I've verified my username/pw is correct - the connection fails. Anyway, once this can be resolved, I'll report the problems and solutions.
I'm using it on Mint and every other Linux OS.

Hint:
User-id - p0000000

Password - XXXXXXXXXX

ie: us-newyorkcity.privateinternetaccess.com:1198 remove :1198

*** General ***

Custom Gateway port “1198” and Check marked

Use LZO and compression – Checked marked

TUN - Set virtual device – tun and Check marked

*** Security ***

Cipher – change from “aes-128-cbc” to AES-128-CBC

HMAC Authentication – “SHA-1”
Last edited by Moem on Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Trimmed a quote.

Post Reply

Return to “Newbie Questions”