Which VPN should i use?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Which VPN should i use?

Post by jimallyn » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:28 pm

curtvaughan wrote:I just subscribed to PIA two days ago. I've installed it on my mint 18.1 distro and cannot connect as yet.
I signed up (for PIA) a few days ago and have it working on Mint 17.3 Cinnamon and on my Android phone. Maybe I will try it on 18.x.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

sammiev
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sammiev » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:35 pm

jimallyn wrote:
curtvaughan wrote:I just subscribed to PIA two days ago. I've installed it on my mint 18.1 distro and cannot connect as yet.
I signed up (for PIA) a few days ago and have it working on Mint 17.3 Cinnamon and on my Android phone. Maybe I will try it on 18.x.
Works with Mint 18.x with no issues.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:58 am

Mr_Levity wrote:Linux Mint accepts money from PIA and that's it. Basically, we're all standing near a PIA billboard and if you simply subscribe to the first thing you see on a billboard
They get good reviews. Several Mint users have been using PIA for a long time, and recommend it. PIA doesn't keep records of your browsing, so they have nothing to give or sell to anybody. You make your decisions, and I'll make mine.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Faust
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Faust » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:11 am

My word , things sure can get heated when folk discuss VPNs ( and on other forums too ! )

Anti-Virus discussions can also be a touchy subject ( let's be thankful that it's not an issue for us on here :) )

I think I'll keep my experiences and opinions on VPN to myself on this occasion ....
" And so it goes " - Kurt Vonnegut
The modern reality and the satirical parody are rapidly converging .

Moem
Level 15
Level 15

Post by Moem » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:22 am

Faust wrote:I think I'll keep my experiences and opinions on VPN to myself on this occasion ....
I sincerely hope you don't. Don't let one forum member with too much time on their hands keep you from passing on useful information. And if someone misbehaves, report them to the mods.

Mod note:
thread cleaned up.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

bad medicine
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bad medicine » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:12 am

I don't trust any of them and I don't know enough to determine which if any I can realy trust. How do I really know what they do with my information?
Thinkpad T410 i5 2.4 Ghz 4GB
Dual boot Mint Cinnamon 17.3 64-bit, Windows 7
kernel 3.13.0-37-generic x86_64 (64 bit)

greerd
Level 5
Level 5

Post by greerd » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:51 am

curtvaughan wrote:I just subscribed to PIA two days ago. I've installed it on my mint 18.1 distro and cannot connect as yet. I'm in the process of getting help from the support folks on my issues. If I can't get things resolved there, I will gladly go into the details on this forum. Everything installs just fine, but after attempt after attempt to connect - and I've verified my username/pw is correct - the connection fails. Anyway, once this can be resolved, I'll report the problems and solutions. If I can get it to work on Mint, and Ubuntu, I will then attempt to activate it on Manjaro, Antergos, LMDE2, Peppermint, and Mageia ( I have these spread among three laptops), and finally with my wife's iMac at home. AIpparently PIA is being swamped with user questions after the latest assault by Trump and the Republicans on ISP privacy - I'm one of the "swampers".
Is your home partition encrypted?

pastic
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pastic » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:54 pm

PIA is a US based company, so essentially an oxymoron when it comes to privacy. Marketers may not know what you do, but authorities sure will know every step you take.
Mint 18.1
Happy w/ Linux since June 2016
Asus Sabertooth x58 ~ i7 950 ~ Radeon HD 7750
"Do you respect wood?" (Larry David)

curtvaughan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by curtvaughan » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:58 pm

greerd wrote:
curtvaughan wrote:I just subscribed to PIA two days ago. I've installed it on my mint 18.1 distro and cannot connect as yet. I'm in the process of getting help from the support folks on my issues. If I can't get things resolved there, I will gladly go into the details on this forum. Everything installs just fine, but after attempt after attempt to connect - and I've verified my username/pw is correct - the connection fails. Anyway, once this can be resolved, I'll report the problems and solutions. If I can get it to work on Mint, and Ubuntu, I will then attempt to activate it on Manjaro, Antergos, LMDE2, Peppermint, and Mageia ( I have these spread among three laptops), and finally with my wife's iMac at home. AIpparently PIA is being swamped with user questions after the latest assault by Trump and the Republicans on ISP privacy - I'm one of the "swampers".
Is your home partition encrypted?
No encryption at all - PIA bumped me up to express help and asked me to send them debug reports. I'm waiting for their response.
Move from rim to hub: know the wheel.

curtvaughan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by curtvaughan » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:04 pm

bad medicine wrote:I don't trust any of them and I don't know enough to determine which if any I can realy trust. How do I really know what they do with my information?
Right now it appears that your only real guarantee is the reputation of the VPN company. That reputation can only be preserved by a trustworthy service. It behooves all of their customers to report to forums such as this one whenever that trust is violated. Once the company can't be trusted, their business will tank.

greerd
Level 5
Level 5

Post by greerd » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:06 pm

curtvaughan wrote:No encryption at all - PIA bumped me up to express help and asked me to send them debug reports. I'm waiting for their response.
The only other thing I can think of if that your ~/.pia_manager/openvpn_launcher.64 (and the .32) must be owned by root even though they are in your home directory

curtvaughan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by curtvaughan » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:15 pm

greerd wrote:
curtvaughan wrote:No encryption at all - PIA bumped me up to express help and asked me to send them debug reports. I'm waiting for their response.
The only other thing I can think of if that your ~/.pia_manager/openvpn_launcher.64 (and the .32) must be owned by root even though they are in your home directory
This was suggested at a link on the PIA website. The fix was to move ~/.pia_manager recursively to the /opt directory, which is owned by root. To do this, I did the following:

sudo mv ~/.pia_manager /opt/pia_manager

ln -s /opt/pia_manager ~/.pia_manager

This makes the home subdirectory into a symbolic link to /opt/pia_manager, and appears to function correctly. PIA knows this and is doing further investigation.

curtvaughan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by curtvaughan » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:07 pm

all41 wrote:haha--Since we are swaying from the topic anyway I will offer this video link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unwujSVpZwA
@curtvaughan-your signature inspired my recollection of this.
Snark!!!! :lol:

curtvaughan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by curtvaughan » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:10 pm

sammiev wrote:
curtvaughan wrote:I just subscribed to PIA two days ago. I've installed it on my mint 18.1 distro and cannot connect as yet. I'm in the process of getting help from the support folks on my issues. If I can't get things resolved there, I will gladly go into the details on this forum. Everything installs just fine, but after attempt after attempt to connect - and I've verified my username/pw is correct - the connection fails. Anyway, once this can be resolved, I'll report the problems and solutions.
I'm using it on Mint and every other Linux OS.

Hint:
User-id - p0000000

Password - XXXXXXXXXX

ie: us-newyorkcity.privateinternetaccess.com:1198 remove :1198

*** General ***

Custom Gateway port “1198” and Check marked

Use LZO and compression – Checked marked

TUN - Set virtual device – tun and Check marked

*** Security ***

Cipher – change from “aes-128-cbc” to AES-128-CBC

HMAC Authentication – “SHA-1”
Okay. I just saw your response and am going to compare the settings I have. If this makes things work, it needs to be reported to the PIA folks. I'll update as I know. Thanks.

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:21 pm

bad medicine wrote:I don't trust any of them and I don't know enough to determine which if any I can realy trust. How do I really know what they do with my information?
PIA says they don't keep any records of where you visit and what you do there. I read that they have been subpoenaed for records, and they had no records to produce. I suppose a Google search would turn up articles on this, maybe even court records.

bad medicine
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bad medicine » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:51 pm

curtvaughan wrote:
Right now it appears that your only real guarantee is the reputation of the VPN company. That reputation can only be preserved by a trustworthy service. It behooves all of their customers to report to forums such as this one whenever that trust is violated. Once the company can't be trusted, their business will tank.
But that's too late if you're one of the people they screwed.
Thinkpad T410 i5 2.4 Ghz 4GB
Dual boot Mint Cinnamon 17.3 64-bit, Windows 7
kernel 3.13.0-37-generic x86_64 (64 bit)

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:11 pm

bad medicine wrote:But that's too late if you're one of the people they screwed.
Got a better idea?

stormryder
Level 3
Level 3

Post by stormryder » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:39 am

jimallyn wrote:Got a better idea?
Get a different ISP.
I guess I am fortunate my ISP is a cooperative company, the profits get divided up and payed back to the costumers.
I am dismayed to see everyone respond to this by immediately distrusting their ISP and no one recommends dropping service from companies willing to sell your information.

Continuing to use an ISP that sells your information and paying another company to protect you from this behavior will only ensure that there is plenty of cash available for both companies to lobby congress to create more similar policy.

Another ideas, the initiative system. Don't let the feds tell you what to do, Oregon is a pretty progressive state. I wouldn't be surprised if someone isn't already working on an initiative to restrict this at a state constitutional level. If not some one should be, many states have an initiative system and once one state stands up to the feds others are likely to follow.

One thing is sure, no VPN lobbied against this.

majpooper
Level 5
Level 5

Post by majpooper » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:14 pm

I have been testing VPNs a bit but I am hardly an expert. As a matter of fact as I dig deeper it generates more questions than it answers.

I first looked into OpenVPN and installed it but what I really wanted was a VPN service (I also have DNScrypt installed as well to prevent DNS leaks). I installed PrivateTunnel VPN which so far works rather well. I have done speed tests with results all over the map. Ookla seems to be the most popular and seems to produce the best results but maybe not the most accurate. testmy and speedof.me are supposedly the most accurate. Here is a sample of some download results for my 100Mbps TWC service: (results are Mbps)
TWC (no VPN)
Ookla 78.57
Testmy 66.40
Speedof.me 96.25

PrivateTunnel (San Jose server)
Ookla 181.90
Testmy 46.20
Speedof.me 31.10

PrivateTunnel (Miami server)
Ookla 80.04
Testmy 67.90
Speedof.me 71.08

The "trust" issue is entirely another matter. I am more concerned about secure online banking and online shopping and to some degree keeping my ISP from selling my data than I am about Big Brother.

Faust
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Faust » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:45 am

re : VPN and banking

I did this little test recently and the results surprised me.
I logged into 3 different bank accounts from my regular laptop ( without VPN ) , then 2 hours later I used a different laptop
and a VPN which made me appear to be in another country ( one that I could not possibly have reached in 2 hours )

One account let me log in without any problem , one sent me a One Time Passcode via mobile , then let me in ,
and the third denied the login ( I'm not going to name the banks ).

That suggests to me that banks are completely inconsistent in their security protocols .

Incidentally , none of them contacted me in any way to let me know of irregular login attempts !
" And so it goes " - Kurt Vonnegut
The modern reality and the satirical parody are rapidly converging .

Return to “Newbie Questions”