Installing Picture Window Pro in Mint 17.2

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
thstearns
Level 1
Level 1

Installing Picture Window Pro in Mint 17.2

Post by thstearns »

I am familiar with the Windows photo editing program Picture Window Pro and wish to run it on my Linux Mint 17.2 machines. However, when I launch the installer thru WINE it stops at the "copying files" screens and never progresses. On one machine--but not the other. The failed machine is an IBM M55 workstation and the Linux installation is fresh. The successful installation is an IBM S51 machine.

I see that the WINE/Windows installer wants to store the files in a folder on the "C" drive which doesn't exist in Linux; is this the problem? If so, I cannot change to a different "directory" in Linux--no options are provided. What do I do?

How do I create folders in Linux?
chellrose
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Installing Picture Window Pro in Mint 17.2

Post by chellrose »

Wine makes a "C drive" in /home/yourusername/.wine/drive_c. In my experience, this is where wine typically tries to install things by default. You might try opening up a terminal and type

Code: Select all

ls .wine
and see if something called "drive_c" is in there.

As for making folders, you can do it in the command line by typing

mkdir Folder
(replace Folder with whatever you want to call your folder.) Spaces must be escaped, so if you wanted to create "My Folder", you would type

mkdir My\ Folder
Just make sure you're in the directory where you want to create your folder. You can check which directory you're in by

pwd
and if you're in the wrong one, you can

cd correct_path
(where correct_path is the path to your directory).

In Nemo, the graphical file explorer, you can go to File > Create New Folder to make a folder.
turtlebay
Level 5
Level 5

Post by turtlebay »

Wine only runs a few Windows programs, it does not guarantee to run all or even many Windows programs.

Your best bet it to run a copy of Windows in Virtual Manager and then install the program in that.
thstearns
Level 1
Level 1

Post by thstearns »

turtlebay wrote:Wine only runs a few Windows programs, it does not guarantee to run all or even many Windows programs.

Your best bet it to run a copy of Windows in Virtual Manager and then install the program in that.
OK, where is "Virtual Manager"?

One of the installs has a thing called "Software Manager" and the other doesn't. Software Manager looks like the access to the repositories of other programs; how do I add it to the machine which lacks it?
thstearns
Level 1
Level 1

Post by thstearns »

thstearns wrote:I am familiar with the Windows photo editing program Picture Window Pro and wish to run it on my Linux Mint 17.2 machines. However, when I launch the installer thru WINE it stops at the "copying files" screens and never progresses. On one machine--but not the other. The failed machine is an IBM M55 workstation and the Linux installation is fresh. The successful installation is an IBM S51 machine.

I see that the WINE/Windows installer wants to store the files in a folder on the "C" drive which doesn't exist in Linux; is this the problem? If so, I cannot change to a different "directory" in Linux--no options are provided. What do I do?

thstearns wrote:I am familiar with the Windows photo editing program Picture Window Pro and wish to run it on my Linux Mint 17.2 machines. However, when I launch the installer thru WINE it stops at the "copying files" screens and never progresses. On one machine--but not the other. The failed machine is an IBM M55 workstation and the Linux installation is fresh. The successful installation is an IBM S51 machine.

thstearns wrote:
turtlebay wrote:Wine only runs a few Windows programs, it does not guarantee to run all or even many Windows programs.

OK, where is "Virtual Manager"?

One of the installs has a thing called "Software Manager" and the other doesn't. Software Manager looks like the access to the repositories of other programs; how do I add it to the machine which lacks it?
Also, the command "mkdir My\folder" is Not Found on my machine
jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

thstearns wrote:OK, where is "Virtual Manager"?
I'm guessing that he meant VirtualBox, a program that will allow you to install other operating systems inside Linux.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

thstearns wrote:Also, the command "mkdir My\folder" is Not Found on my machine
There should be a space between the backslash and 'folder.' mkdir My\ folder You can also create new folders in the file manager.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
BenTrabetere
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BenTrabetere »

I am using WINE v1.6, and I was able to install the 32-bit version of Picture Window Pro 7 to LM-MATE 18.1 from the command line. I tried install the 64-bit version from the command line, but was unsucessful. I also tried unsuccessfully to install it using PlayOnLinux - the 64-bit version crashed and the 32-bit version consistently got stuck at the Moving Files stage.

Here are the steps I used.
1. Download the 32-bit installation file - setup32.exe
2. Press Ctrl-Alt-T to open a terminal, change to the directory containing the downloaded file.
3. At the prompt type wine setup32.exe /extract: and press enter
4. At the prompt type wine msiexec /i *.msi and press enter
5. Complete the setup.
A launcher is located in the Other folder, and the program seems to run without problem.

The steps I used are based on instructions I found at the Digital Light & Color forum.
thstearns
Level 1
Level 1

Post by thstearns »

Many thanks for short, clear instructions, Ben. As a Newbie I am not familiar with Terminal commands. How do I identify what directory I am in, and how do I change to another directory? Is there a tutorial on Terminal commands, somewhere?
thstearns
Level 1
Level 1

Post by thstearns »

Further request:
The setup32.exe download is in a folder marked "Downloads" inside the "THS" folder on my desktop. I navigated to the Downloads folder so the setup32.exe file was visible and opened a terminal. I then typed "pwd" and the answer came back "/home/ths" . I then typed "cd C: " and the answer came back "no such directory." What is the correct command to get to the Directory which contains the setup32.exe file? It appears in the Downloads folder--at least that is the title at the top of the screen. I tried variations on "downloads" and so forth and always got the answer "no such directory."
BenTrabetere
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BenTrabetere »

thstearns wrote:How do I identify what directory I am in, and how do I change to another directory?
When you open a terminal session by clicking the Terminal icon or pressing Ctrl+Alt+T, it opens to your home directory. You will see something like tom@TheBeast ~ $ . In this case where tom is my Username, @TheBeast is the name of my computer, the ~ represents the home directory, and $ is the command prompt. If I were working as a superuser the command prompt will be a # instead of a $.

The command to identify the current, working directory is pwd - print working directory. The output will be something like
tom@TheBeast ~ $ pwd
/home/tom

The command to change to another directory is cd - change directory. Linux is case sensitive, so downloads and Downloads are not the same. To change my Downloads directory I would enter cd Downloads.
tom@TheBeast ~ $ cd Downloads
tom@TheBeast ~/Downloads $

Notice how tom@TheBeast ~ $ changed to tom@TheBeast ~/Downloads $ .

Issuing the pwd command will confirm the location.
tom@TheBeast ~/Downloads $ pwd
/home/tom/Downloads

Is there a tutorial on Terminal commands, somewhere?
There are too many to mention. To get you started here are a couple I found helpful.
http://www.linuxcommand.org/
https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/244
The setup32.exe download is in a folder marked "Downloads" inside the "THS" folder on my desktop. I navigated to the Downloads folder so the setup32.exe file was visible and opened a terminal. I then typed "pwd" and the answer came back "/home/ths" .
Great, you're where you need to be. Use the ls command to list the contents of the directory. (Think of it as the Linux equivalent of the DOS dir command.) Here is what I get.
tom@TheBeast ~/Downloads/WinApps $ ls
disk1.cab PWP7 32.msi setup32.exe setup64.exe

I then typed "cd C: " and the answer came back "no such directory."

This is as it should be. Unless, of course, you actually had a directory named C:. You can name a directory named C:, but I cannot think of any legitimate reason you would want to.
What is the correct command to get to the Directory which contains the setup32.exe file?
Again, you are already there. The command prompt should be user@computer ~/Downloads/ths. Use the pwd command to confirm it. Enter ls at the prompt and setup32.exe should be listed.
It appears in the Downloads folder--at least that is the title at the top of the screen. I tried variations on "downloads" and so forth and always got the answer "no such directory."
That is because you are looking for something that is not there.
iironjade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by iironjade »

At the risk of pointing out the obvious, you could avoid all this bother by finding a Linux equivalent of Picture Window Pro. such as GIMP.
Using WINE isn't an exact science and there's no guarantee that once installed, it will run correctly.
"A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming."
thstearns
Level 1
Level 1

Post by thstearns »

I know PWPro from using it across a good 10 years. It is a thoroughly complex and capable program and I do NOT like learning new ones. Others I agree, and GIMP is already here which is a huge advantage..

Return to “Newbie Questions”