Printing #10 envelopes using LibreOffice. How?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LloydHayes

Printing #10 envelopes using LibreOffice. How?

Post by LloydHayes »

Printing # 10 envelopes, with LibreOffice, or any other office software. This seems like Mission Impossible on Mint!

Luck for me, I don’t print envelopes very often. Unlucky for me is that when I do, I can never remember how I did it the last time. The Portrait and Landscape settings almost never work. I asked about this a year ago, and never got an answer. I just checked.

I set the size of the printout, and it's orientation as Landscape. But it always prints out with a Portrait orientation. The Envelope printing routine in LibreOffice is no help.

Like most people, I send emails most of the time. But every once in a while I have to send an actual letter. It would be nice to just print it out.

I did figure out a way to print out #10 envelopes last year. But I have forgotten how I did it.
I also saved the file from last year, but LebreOffice defaults to it’s current 8.50x11.00 inch Portrait Letter settings. And switching it back to printing a #10 envelope in landscape mode, and with the envelope against the left side of the printer, is impossible!
(I have a whole bunch of paper sheets that I tested this with.)

As I said, I know there is a way. But I happen to forget what it is. Any help here?
(Using an Epson printer.)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Printing #10 envelopes using LibreOffice. How?

Post by deepakdeshp »

A suggestion. If you post this query to the Libre office community, there are more chances to get a reply.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Writer: menu Insert -> Envelope.
lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 »

I know this is an older thread, but there isn't a solution and I constantly run into this problem too :-)

From everything I've read, it seems that the Insert > Envelope is not recommended due to issues. In my case, no matter what I do, I always get a C5 even though I selected #10. I think the solution resides in creating your own template by formatting the page, setting your own margins, etc. But that isn't safe either. I take the same template from LO Windows to LO Linux and it doesn't print the same. It's rotated 180 degrees. In LO on Windows, I position the envelope as shown on the HP printer. I do the exact same think on LO on Linux and it doesn't print correctly. I have to rotate the envelope 180 degrees to get it right. It's a common question @ask.libreoffice.org and there are bug reports @bugs.documentfoundation.org.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi lmuserx4849, & Anyone Else Interested,

See this post
#10 envelope choice grayed out in LibreOffice Five - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=220426&hilit=print+envelope

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 »

phd21 wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:18 pm Hi lmuserx4849, & Anyone Else Interested,

See this post
#10 envelope choice grayed out in LibreOffice Five - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=220426&hilit=print+envelope

Hope this helps ...
That topic was helpful, but the insert envelope doesn't just work.

On Insert > Envelope... > Printer tab, there are 6 Envelope Orientations. Thet topic suggests using the Vertical Right (VR).

I tried each of the 6 orientations. Each time I selected Format > Page > Page tab to check the Paper Format.

The results:

After Insert > Envelope > Printer..., Format> Page>Page
EnvOrient..Format..W....H......0rient...ML....MR....MT....MB
HL...........user......9.5...4.13..Port......0......0......0......0
HC...........user......9.5...4.13..Port......0......0......0......0
HR...........user......9.5...4.13..Port......0......0......0......0
VL...........user......9.5...8.50..Land......0......0.....4.38...0
VC...........user......9.5...6.31..Land......0......0.....2.19...0
VR...........#10.......9.5...4.13..Land......0......0.....0......0
VR - There are two problems, (1) the text is getting cutoff on the left. I have to play games to get it right. And (2), the envelope needs to be turned 180 degrees from the image on the HP printer to make sure the back flap is at the top (I drew it in as a dotted line, so you could see it from the front).

VC - HP printer gave the error, "The paper size detected by the printer sensor does not match the paper size selected".

VL - Same as VC.

HR - Same as VR.

HC - Same as VR.

HL - Same as VR.

The HP OfficeJet6700 shows the envelope going into the feeder the long way with the flap up. If you are facing the printer, the back flap is on left.

Of the 6 images for Envelope Orientation on the Insert Envelope dialog, VC looks correct, but that is the only one I get an HP Printer error. Weird :-)

If I select VR, and do the following two things:
1. Shift right: .79
2. Rotate the envelope 180% from the image on the HP printer itself.
The envelope prints correctly.

If you think I'm doing something wrong, or should try something I'm game to try it. At this point it is easier to just do it myself :-(

This applies to LO 6.0.2.1, but to tell you the truth, I don't recall envelopes ever being easy in LO.

Return to “Beginner Questions”