How to fix QT App Scaling on Dell XPS 13 9360?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jman47

How to fix QT App Scaling on Dell XPS 13 9360?

Post by jman47 »

Hi everyone,

First time poster, but long time reader and user of Ubuntu and Linux Mint. I just installed Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon on a new Dell XPS 13 9360. Mint works wonderfully on this machine, but the high DPI of the screen necessitated me scaling up the apps (thankfully, Mint has a great option for that). Native resolution of the screen is 3200x1800.

My problem is that QT apps, including many I rely upon, do not accept Cinnamon's scaling command and are all tiny on the screen. Does anyone know how best to force QT apps to scale up so that they are at least legible on a HiDPI screen? I have done a lot of searching and found a few mentions of folks who have perhaps achieved this, but not being a programmer (a Linux novice) I'm not sure how get this working. A few places I looked suggested creating a startup file to force QT apps to scale, and I followed the directions but could not get any of this to work on my machine:

http://seb.mamessier.com/dell-xps-15-9550-ubuntu-16-04/
http://hgdev.co/quick-tip-4-properly-sc ... -displays/

Does anyone have suggestions or similar issues with hidpi scaling of QT apps in Mint 18.1? Is this an issue that is unfixable currently on this version of Mint? I would appreciate any suggestions, thanks! :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Beginner Questions”