Why would I pick MINT?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
NewBee
Level 1
Level 1

Why would I pick MINT?

Post by NewBee »

I am planning on leaving windows and going to Linux. Why would I pick MINT over Debian or Ubuntu? What are the advantages and disadvantages of Mint?

Mike

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Why would I pick MINT?

Post by Moem »

Hi NewBee, welcome to the forum! I've split your post off into a separate topic because a new question deserves a new topic.

My personal answer is: I picked Mint because I read several articles stating that it was the most suitable distro for first time users of Linux. As easy as that.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

It ultimately boils down to which you prefer. They're all great distros! :) I personally would not start with Debian, though. It's a good bit more complicated to install than either Mint or Ubuntu, and the community isn't always described as newbie-friendly (or, ahem, "NewBee" friendly).

With that in mind, here is why I would choose Mint over Ubuntu:
- the Update Manager. Mint has a nifty Update Manager that helps protect you from bad updates. Especially as a newbie, you won't know how to recover your system if a bad update breaks something. The Update Manager will help keep that from happening.
- I don't like Unity (the default desktop environment for Ubuntu). Coming from a Windows environment, you'll probably find any of Mint's flavours to be more familiar than Unity.
- The community. If I can say so myself, I think we're one of the best and friendliest communities on the internet. :D I might be a little biased, though...
- Green! Isn't green awesome? If you don't think so, just look out your window at the trees. :mrgreen:
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

MintyO
Level 4
Level 4

Post by MintyO »

Fred Barclay wrote:.......
- Green! Isn't green awesome? If you don't think so, just look out your window at the trees. :mrgreen:
Or the dozens of houseplants you have all around you. :mrgreen: (And get some if you don't!)

Why Mint? I have tried many linux OSs (including Ubuntu and Debian) and find it to be the best for me. You could also characterize it to "take all that is/was good in Windows and leave the bad", but that wouldn't be totally accurate or fair. It's much more/different.. Really excellent choice to start with linux though.

Welcome to the forums!
Ducks on the edge sleep with one eye open.

altair4
Level 19
Level 19

Post by altair4 »

You realize that if you were to ask a corresponding question in the Ubuntu or Debian forums you would get a completely different answer.

Well ... that's not true. In the Debian forum you would likely get a "If you have to ask you aren't ready for Debian".
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

deleted

Post by deleted »

Siduction and #! are excellent Debian distros with great user forums.
-Hinto

NewBee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NewBee »

I should have added that my main reason for going to Linux is privacy and security. The tasks I do are program Excel, create databases, photo restoration, research for investing (three monitors) and soon video editing which would include sound.
Thanks Again
Mike

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr »

NewBee wrote:I should have added that my main reason for going to Linux is privacy and security.
Linux Mint is very secure, just like Ubuntu and Debian:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... t/security

Of those three, I think Mint is the most user-friendly one.
Last edited by Pjotr on Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

chrisuk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chrisuk »

Before you decide on a Linux Distro, check that all your programs either work on Linux (Using Wine or in a VM using VirtualBox), or that there are Linux alternatives to the programs you use on Windows. The majority of programs either work or have alternatives, but by no means all, so it's possible the closest you get to Linux is Dual Booting with Windows (maybe using Linux for the Internet and Windows for the stuff Linux can't handle).

When you've sorted out what works, just try different Live versions of Linux until you find one you prefer... that could well be Mint, as there's none better (IMHO), but there are others that are also good.
Chris

Manjaro MATE - MX Linux - LMDE MATE

ralplpcr
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ralplpcr »

NewBee wrote:...The tasks I do are program Excel...
Depending on your level of need, this *may* present a problem.

By default, *no* Linux distribution contains or can run Microsoft Office programs natively. They're built by Microsoft, and only run natively on Microsoft operating systems.

That is not to say that you *can't* run it via a non-native method, such as through Wine, PlayOn Linux, or in a virtual machine running Windows. It depends on which version of MSOffice you require, your hardware, and the features you need to have to determine the best method to get it running on your system.

Or, if you're able, you may also make use of one of the excellent "alternative" Office suites that *are* available to run natively in Linux. LibreOffice is packaged with Mint, and works beautifully for nearly everything most people need. You can also install the "OnlyOffice" suite, or the "KingSoft Office" suite. Each may not have exactly the features you need, but you'd have to try them and determine that yourself.

iironjade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by iironjade »

Don't rely on WINE to run Windows programs on Mint. Sometimes (rarely) they work well, sometimes (usually) not at all and occasionally they run but with some features disabled.
VM if you must but finding a Linux equivalent is by far the best option.
"A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming."

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual »

NewBee wrote:I am planning on leaving windows and going to Linux.
Plan to backup what you consider important before you begin.

lmintnewb2

Post by lmintnewb2 »

Think you should try a bunch and see what you like best. LM is kickbutt gnu/linux though. Some possible advantages of Mint over Ubuntu. From what I've seen, LM listens to the users and also makes efforts to squash bugs in packages to help protect the userbase from borkage, more so than Canonical Inc.

Who seems to have a much more devil may care ie: were making Unity default DE, end of story and releasing xyz packages now, whether any time has been devoted to finding/working out bugs, in some of their releases anyway.

Would go with latest buntu LTS, version if we're going to ever install Ubuntu (which I won't.) If install something Ubuntu based, it'll be something Mint. Another LM benefit, it's community and this forum. Lots of nice nixers here, willing to help users having issues they cant/won't solve on their own.

Ubuntu forum is more restrictive from my experience. Though plenty of cool nixers there too.

Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

I wouldn't recommend anything except Mint or Ubuntu for beginners, largely for their tech support. Because you're probably going to need it. That said, I'm an ex Ubuntu user and I've still gotten most support info for Mint from ubuntuforums and askubuntu. Hard to arge with that user base.

While there are other distros that are otherwise good for beginners, their support is awful. Zorin comes to mind and there are a bunch of others.

Debian is definitely not a good choice for beginners. It simply isn't intended for them, and if you ask a typical noob question like from here or ubuntuforums on their forum they'll generally just telll them to install ubuntu or mint instead.

One of the biggest reasons I switched to mint was that in Ubuntu 14.04 they released another long term support release. But it doesn't use an LTS kernel. ANd that's what runs everything. Mint has a better update policy, which mitigates the problems that can cause.

The other big reason is that I prefer the Xfce DE, and the Ubuntu version using that (Xiubuntu) doesn't get 5 years support. All Mint versions except for LMDE do.

BTW I don't think LMDE is very beginner suitable either.

Just dl the different DE versions and test them, from USB live boot if possible. Optical drives are much too slow to get a feel for things. Cinnamon and Unity and Gnome 3 are heavyweights best run on modern machines with good power, esp. the graphics card. Xfce or Mate don't need as much power.

KDE is heavy too but you can reallly tweak it for speed in a way you can't with the others I mentioned, I could get KDE to run fine in a 2Gb RAM machine but 1Gb would be pushing it.

misdirection
Level 1
Level 1

Post by misdirection »

why wouldnt you pick mint????

advatages== easy to install, set up, use and maintain... faster than windows, (this is my personel opinion), safer than windows/more secure, seems to have better support than other *nix distros, and its just damn awesome!

disadvantages== yeah i must agree with iironjade ==
iironjade wrote:Don't rely on WINE to run Windows programs on Mint. Sometimes (rarely) they work well, sometimes (usually) not at all and occasionally they run but with some features disabled.
VM if you must but finding a Linux equivalent is by far the best option.
the WINE problem...some really cool and great windows software not available for linux(such as photoshop, and some security programs like hide my ip, and hotspot hotshield)

well welcome to the darkside of linux~~~ hope you enjoy your free os and if you need any help dont be afraid to ask....
what the eyes see, the ears hear, the mind believes

JerryF
Level 12
Level 12

Post by JerryF »

I echo Fred Barclay's reasons. Plus, I'm fed up with Windows 10 downloading its updates while I'm working. It slows the computer tremendously, and when I restart to install the updates, that takes 10 to 15 minutes. That's a chunk of time in my limited 5-hour work day.
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts.

DeMus
Level 6
Level 6

Post by DeMus »

No idea what kind of databases you build, but if they are more than a bunch of tables linked together with a few forms on top then you will have to make sure you can use Microsoft Office. The Libreoffice database program Base is not capable of making complicated databases with macro's and visual basic. If it is only for yourself then it might be enough, but if the database goes outside then I strongly suggest to use MS Office, which should run on Wine nowadays but test it thoroughly before you kick Windows out.
As others have said, using a virtual machine with Windows is maybe better. It has its own surrounding, is captured inside the VM and can not do much harm there. If you build a VM then disable the network-connection in Windows so it has no connection to the outside world and can't catch viruses.
Video editing can be done using Kdenlive, but there are also others. If you have a favorite program already on Windows then you might also install that in the VM so you can stil use it. It all depends how well the Linux programs respond to your wishes.
Another possibility is of course dual boot so you can choose whether you boot into Linux or into Windows. Advantage is: both systems run on metal, meaning they have full capacity of the computer. Disadvantage: you can only run one at the time and have to reboot if you want to use the other one.
Success.

iironjade
Level 4
Level 4

Post by iironjade »

By far the easiest solution, funds permitting, is to have one machine for Windows and one for Linux. You'll be amazed how rarely you have to power up the Windows machine.
"A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming."

kc1di
Level 15
Level 15

Post by kc1di »

Hello NewBee and Welcome to the Linux Mint Forums,
I would just add to what all the others have been saying about Mint and why you should choose it. That this is one of the best of forums with a vast knowledge base and friendly too boot. Enjoy the learning curve This is the one distro that I always seem to return to.
Happy computing ;)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

steve65e
Level 1
Level 1

Post by steve65e »

Hi NewBee.

I'm a total newbe too. I picked Mint because from reading around the net it seemed to be the friendliest to new users moving from Windows.

It's been a doddle so far. The only problem I couldn't solve myself got answered here straight away.

Mint just works, go for it.
Linux Mint 18.1 Mate 32-bit (since 12-4-17)
Dell Studio 1555, Intel Core2 Duo T6400, 2 Ghz, 3GB Ram (since forever)

Return to “Newbie Questions”