Reporting a bug to the devs

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
magicchance
Level 3
Level 3

Reporting a bug to the devs

Post by magicchance »

Hey devs, there is a new bug regarding Adobe Flash. When I perform Ctrl-H while in Chrome, all the AF presets are also deleted, and the only way to get AF working again is to reinstall. (I am using the Synaptic Package Manager for this.)

This is a new problem. It has been happening the last 4 or 5 times I cleared cookies, just over the last 3 or 4 weeks or so. Before then, AF was never changed due to using the Ctrl-H command. Once I reinstall everything works fine until the next wipe, which I do about twice a week.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Reporting a bug to the devs

Post by xenopeek »

When you write "Chrome" do you actually mean Google Chrome or Chromium? Google Chrome uses its own PepperFlash and not Adobe Flash from your package manager unless something got misconfigured. Check which Flash you're using on chrome://flash/. Google Chrome comes from its own repository and isn't maintained by Linux Mint. Both Google Chrome and Adobe Flash are closed source so the Linux Mint developers can't fix bugs in it. I guess the issue might be you have too many Flash versions installed.

If you want help from others to try and figure out what is going on, it would probably be useful to find all the flashplayer.so files. Open the terminal and run these two commands and share their output here.

Code: Select all

locate flashplayer.so
find ~ \*flashplayer.so
magicchance
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Reporting a bug to the devs

Post by magicchance »

xenopeek wrote:When you write "Chrome" do you actually mean Google Chrome or Chromium? Google Chrome uses its own PepperFlash and not Adobe Flash from your package manager unless something got misconfigured. Check which Flash you're using on chrome://flash/. Google Chrome comes from its own repository and isn't maintained by Linux Mint. Both Google Chrome and Adobe Flash are closed source so the Linux Mint developers can't fix bugs in it. I guess the issue might be you have too many Flash versions installed.

If you want help from others to try and figure out what is going on, it would probably be useful to find all the flashplayer.so files. Open the terminal and run these two commands and share their output here.

Code: Select all

locate flashplayer.so
find ~ \*flashplayer.so
The first query came back with:
/home/XXXXX/.config/google-chrome/PepperFlash/25.0.0.127/libpepflashplayer.so

The second query was empty.

I use Google Chrome. This particular bug only started happening recently, after the last couple of major updates. As a newbie, I don't intentionally change settings without a reason for fear of doing more harm than good, so what ever happened must have happened from the outside. But I repeat: it is with Adobe Flash, it breaks down after a Ctrl-H, and it fixes itself with a reinstall of AF in the Synaptic. Outside of those parameters I have no idea what is happening, or why.

Return to “Newbie Questions”