How can I hide my online activities from my ISP?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
idle

Re: How can I hide my online activities from my ISP?

Post by idle »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tn4P7IBqoQ very thought provoking and scary ...
xdicey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by xdicey »

Minterator wrote:1984 is here, we live in a global police state and the enemy has the advantage. In EU you have better protection, in the US you live in a corporate police state. The NSA gets all your stuff, unless your name is Edward Snowden. And if you full-proof your computer, your smart phone will get you. Safeguarding democracy is the only defense.
+1
-QUAD CORE Intel Core i7-4700MQ CPU (-HT-MCP-) 2.40GHz x4
-16GB RAM, 1 TB SSHD
-Graphics Card: Intel 4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller
Joe2Shoe
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Joe2Shoe »

I use a paid VPN from another country that deletes their log files every day. I also "Firejail" all apps that access the internet. I use Gufw firewall, I use TOR and TAILS (USB). etc. etc.
But, in the end, am I really "safe" from the long arm of the "Law"? Is anyone?
We, the People, have been duped by EVERY politician that was ever elected. There is no justice, there is just us. And, We, the People, need to get off our lazy, fat asses and clean up this mess.
I have nothing to hide, but, no one has the "right" to snoop on me or anyone else, unless "anyone else" are terrorists trying to cause civil harm.
John F. Kennedy spoke of "secret societies" within our realm, and just look at what happened to him.
This world is infested with "political" terrorists everywhere, running every government inside every country, and that is the problem.
Stay invisible.
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

Yes Joe.
Any time I do writing, on nearly any subject except in here, I am off line in a noname scraptop that is running LM. If I send or receive notable email there are no Pictures or video. uBlock and Badger are standard installs sent with posts for hackers or ISP's or NSA that the material is fiction and Legal in the jurisdictions involved. Otherwise I send data DVD's or flash drives via messenger of CAD files. One of my clients about choked when I showed him the manual embedded in the wiring in schematics I sent him. It became very evident that the email had been tampered with.
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

Hi Be_Classy and welcome to the Forum.

The first thing is to change your DNS...so when you send a request...it doesn't go through your ISP's Server. Use a Proxy or VPN. For general Browsing Mask your IP Address...there are several Add-ons for both Firefox and Google Chrome...or run Opera which has a built in VPN...but they say you can't use it for P2P.

Another very good Add-on is User-Agent Switcher...with this you can Mask your OS and Browser...I'm running Windows spyware 10 and Edge...No I'm not but web sites think I am...Just a little off Topic...If you really value your privacy...never run any version of Windows because it's full of spyware.

A few years back us Aussies didn't have to worry about any of the above...that was until these big American companies eg Netflix..Foxtel and Hollywood turned up with fancy lawyers... pockets full of Money...went to Court...now we have heaps of Sites blocked...the strange thing is...they can't do this in their own Country. :x
Linux For Ever...Windows Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

greerd wrote:1. I'm assuming a clean install (not compromised)
greerd wrote:So I assume I'm partially cloaked!
Does Mint use/include SELinux? I had a chuckle (kind of a wounded, sickly laugh) when I read that SELinux was a "gift" to computer users from...

...the NSA.

What would a government agency tasked with collecting and decrypting traffic give the "computer world" such a thing? My guess is, because said agency is not even slightly inconvenienced by the use of such a thing. Additionally, I would guess that it hopes users will assume certain tools are all that are needed, and not spend much effort setting up locks for which it does not already have the master key to.

The biggest threat to a person's privacy and security (which are not necessarily the same things) isn't a government agency or a corporation - it is the person.

Regards,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Post by greerd »

MtnDewManiac wrote:
greerd wrote:1. I'm assuming a clean install (not compromised)
greerd wrote:So I assume I'm partially cloaked!
Does Mint use/include SELinux? I had a chuckle (kind of a wounded, sickly laugh) when I read that SELinux was a "gift" to computer users from...

...the NSA.

What would a government agency tasked with collecting and decrypting traffic give the "computer world" such a thing? My guess is, because said agency is not even slightly inconvenienced by the use of such a thing. Additionally, I would guess that it hopes users will assume certain tools are all that are needed, and not spend much effort setting up locks for which it does not already have the master key to.
To be fair, the NSA is also tasked with the protection of U.S. communications networks and information systems, in which Linux makes up a good portion of the servers.
From Wikipedia, "The NSA, the original primary developer of SELinux, released the first version to the open source development community under the GNU GPL on December 22, 2000."

So SELinux is open source and has been in the open source community since 2001 allowing plenty of time for code vetting, but this does show just how 'intimate' the NSA is with the Linux kernel.

SELinux is in the repos but not installed by default and, I think, is more Enterprise oriented.
MtnDewManiac wrote:The biggest threat to a person's privacy and security (which are not necessarily the same things) isn't a government agency or a corporation - it is the person.
I agree with respect to corporations and would add bad guys too but why should we be forced to protect our selves from out own tax dollars?
Rocky Bennett
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Rocky Bennett »

I had to read this whole thread because it was really quite enlightening. Thanks guys.

Rocky Bennett
lmintnewb2

Post by lmintnewb2 »

^ No worries ... thanks for taking the time to say thanks too. Group HUG ? Anyone ? Bring it in ? :mrgreen:

Return to “Beginner Questions”