Crackling distorted sound... and how does one fix things in Linux?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gino_serpa

Crackling distorted sound... and how does one fix things in Linux?

Post by gino_serpa »

Hi All,
I just installed Linux Mint 17.3 64-bit Rosa. Everything went ok but the sound is distorted and crackling. I googled the issue and found so many suggestions (add tsched=0 to this file, mess with the alsamixer, etc.) and none worked. I know there is a fix since when I used Ubuntu there was no issue in the same computer. Below I posted my "inxi -Fxz" output and would appreciate any help but I also have a more general question (this is why I posted in the newbie question instead of in the sound or drivers section). Is this the way to fix things in general? I mean googling you find so many fixes to problems in linux and I am always think what if I do this or that change and the whole thing crashes or worse if my changes produce oter changes that I am not aware of? Specifically for problems with sound like mine, is there a methodical check list that can help me get to the root of the problem and fix it? Any help would be greatly appreciated .
And now as promised, the output of my inxi -Fxy. Thanks in advance
Gino

System: Host: gino-main Kernel: 3.13.0-24-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.8.2)
Desktop: Cinnamon 2.8.8 (Gtk 3.10.8~8+qiana)
Distro: Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa
Machine: System: ASUS product: All Series
Mobo: ASUSTeK model: Z97-E/USB 3.1 v: Rev X.0x
Bios: American Megatrends v: 0503 date: 05/20/2015
CPU: Quad core Intel Core i7-4790K (-HT-MCP-) cache: 8192 KB
flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 31983
clock speeds: max: 4001 MHz 1: 800 MHz 2: 800 MHz 3: 800 MHz
4: 800 MHz 5: 800 MHz 6: 800 MHz 7: 2600 MHz 8: 800 MHz
Graphics: Card: NVIDIA GM204 [GeForce GTX 970] bus-ID: 01:00.0
Display Server: X.Org 1.15.1 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau)
Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz, 1920x1080@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: GeForce GTX 970/PCIe/SSE2
GLX Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 381.09 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card-1 NVIDIA GM204 High Definition Audio Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 01:00.1
Card-2 Intel 9 Series Family HD Audio Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: 1.0.2x-130606-v5.18rc8
Network: Card: Intel Ethernet Connection (2) I218-V
driver: e1000e v: 2.3.2-k port: f040 bus-ID: 00:19.0
IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 2500.5GB (1.0% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: Samsung_SSD_850 size: 500.1GB
ID-2: /dev/sdb model: WDC_WD1003FZEX size: 1000.2GB
ID-3: USB /dev/sdc model: 10EACS_External size: 1000.2GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 443G used: 7.3G (2%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
ID-2: swap-1 size: 17.12GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda5
RAID: No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 29.8C mobo: 27.8C gpu: 0.0:45C
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 205 Uptime: 1:14 Memory: 973.7/15989.4MB
Init: Upstart runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.4
Client: Shell (fish) inxi: 2.2.28
dave8671
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Crackling distorted sound... and how does one fix things in Linux?

Post by dave8671 »

Have you tried Linux Mint 18? In anycase type this in terminal this can take time.

Code: Select all

sudo alsaconf
If this does not fix the issue this will force alsa to reset type in terminal if the above command fails to help

sudo alsa force-reload
gino_serpa

Post by gino_serpa »

Hi Dave,
I will try Mint 18 if you think that would help

I executed the commands you suggested. aslsaconf gave a command not found while the second command executed but did not fix the problem.
Thanks for your help though

gino@gino-main ~> sudo alsaconf
sudo: alsaconf: command not found
gino@gino-main ~> sudo alsa force-reload
Unloading ALSA sound driver modules: snd-seq snd-seq-device snd-hda-codec-realtek snd-hda-intel snd-hda-codec snd-hwdep snd-pcm snd-page-alloc snd-timer (failed: modules still loaded: snd-hda-codec-realtek snd-hda-intel snd-hda-codec snd-hwdep snd-pcm snd-page-alloc snd-timer).
Loading ALSA sound driver modules: snd-seq snd-seq-device snd-hda-codec-realtek snd-hda-intel snd-hda-codec snd-hwdep snd-pcm snd-page-alloc snd-timer.
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

"a methodical check list" I doubt it, although an experienced technician can fake a similar result. Here it's all peer-reviewed opinion.
o Avoid 'sudo' commands and your system will survive unharmed.
o For some things, you have to use root-privileges with sudo. You (almost certainly) will damage your Mint at some point, that's why we whinge endlessly about data-backups and os-clones. It's going to happen, so be prepared.
o Confirm the hardware can actually perform [tick] It works with Ubuntu (which one?)
o Confirm your installation is intact. That's boring but easy...debsums | grep -v "OK"
I get the following list, nothing bad. 'FAILED' just means 'different to the repository version'.

/usr/share/acpi-support/policy-funcs                                      FAILED
/usr/lib/os-release                                                       FAILED
/usr/share/applications/caja-browser.desktop                              FAILED
/usr/share/applications/engrampa.desktop                                  FAILED
/usr/share/applications/gksu.desktop                                      FAILED
/usr/share/applications/orca.desktop                                      FAILED
/usr/share/gnome-system-tools/ui/services.ui                              FAILED
/usr/share/applications/gufw.desktop                                      FAILED
/usr/share/applications/itweb-settings.desktop                            FAILED
/usr/share/applications/im-config.desktop                                 FAILED
/usr/share/applications/mate-color-select.desktop                         FAILED
/usr/share/applications/mate-system-monitor.desktop                       FAILED
/usr/share/applications/mate-terminal.desktop                             FAILED
/usr/share/applications/mate-dictionary.desktop                           FAILED
/usr/share/applications/mate-disk-usage-analyzer.desktop                  FAILED
/usr/share/applications/mate-search-tool.desktop                          FAILED
/usr/share/help/C/linuxmint/Book_Info.xml                                 FAILED
/usr/share/applications/openjdk-7-policytool.desktop                      FAILED
/usr/share/applications/pppoeconf.desktop                                 FAILED
/usr/share/rhythmbox/style.css                                            FAILED
/usr/share/sounds/freedesktop/stereo/device-added.oga                     FAILED
/usr/share/sounds/freedesktop/stereo/device-removed.oga                   FAILED
/usr/share/applications/yelp.desktop                                      FAILED
o Try a different sound system. Mint has pulseaudio and alsa. Say which one you are using. Say what happens when you change. The Audacious player lets you switch output system and bit-depth.
o Do quiet sounds have the same problem? Floating-point sound processors can overdrive to more-than-100%. Is it clipping, or something more complicated?
Mattyboy

Post by Mattyboy »

Try this in terminal. To be fair you should install 18.1 your system is good for it. Just try live booting before you install it to make sure everything including sound works.

sudo apt-get remove --purge alsa-base pulseaudio
sudo apt-get install alsa-base pulseaudio
sudo alsa force-reload
gino_serpa

Post by gino_serpa »

Problem solved!
Installed Mint 18 and the sound now works. Bach is playing as I type and it sounds like Bach
Thanks to all that contributed, this was a very educational experience
Peace!
drbuzbee

Post by drbuzbee »

After a sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade, my audio was distored like an fm radio that was out of range
Thanks to this thread, the following terminal commands fixed it right away. Thanks for the help.

sudo alsa force-reload
almuntaqim

Post by almuntaqim »

drbuzbee wrote: Sun May 07, 2017 10:31 am After a sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade, my audio was distored like an fm radio that was out of range
Thanks to this thread, the following terminal commands fixed it right away. Thanks for the help.

sudo alsa force-reload
I just want to add that THIS HELPED me too. I ran these commands and now my music doesn't sound like some really bad Orc Radio that you listen to when you're high :lol: :lol:

Return to “Beginner Questions”