Linux running very slow

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Raveen

Linux running very slow

Post by Raveen »

HI
I am a newbie to linux and recently I've installed Linux Mint 17.3 cinnamon. I have duel core processor each of 2.000 GHz, 500 GB HDD 2GB RAM, Onboard VGA. My Computer runs terribly slow. As I was mentioned, that i have to look in the forums to see if there are similar topics, I took these days in searching them. But I found no solution. So, My question is not about the grub screen or the boot screen as I saw on the topics. But my linux os is running too slow.. Do I need to have NVidia Graphic card , does that solve the issue? Or do I need to increase the RAM? Why my processor eating too much power. My processors' performance is 100%. Also I have duel operating systems , Linux and Win 7. Does that make the problem?I can't do normal work in Linux , I can't use internet properly as well. I am very fond of learning Linux so I hope someone will enlighten me how to make Linux running Faster
Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Linux running very slow

Post by Pjotr »

Install the lightweight Xfce edition of Linux Mint 18.1 and then apply these speed tweaks:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/3
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

It's possible to guess but you need to post more system info. Copy/paste this into the terminal and copy/paste the text output here:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
But I'm guessing ... and this is a guess without more info ... this is an older system with integrated video and it isn't really powerful enough to run the Cinnamon DE. Yes, Linux is great for old computers. But that does NOT mean that all desktop environments (or even app software) will work properly on them.

I suspect you could run Cinnamon OK in 2Gb RAM if you had a good graphics card with proper Linux support. Cinnamon needs working 3D hardware accelerayted video just by itself, let alone any other apps you may be running.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

It's possible to guess but you need to post more system info. Copy/paste this into the terminal and copy/paste the text output here:

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxz
But I'm guessing ... and this is a guess without more info ... this is an older system with integrated video and it isn't really powerful enough to run the Cinnamon DE. Yes, Linux is great for old computers. But that does NOT mean that all desktop environments (or even app software) will work properly on them.

I suspect you could run Cinnamon OK in 2Gb RAM if you had a good graphics card with proper Linux support. Cinnamon needs working 3D hardware accelerayted video just by itself, let alone any other apps you may be running.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken

Return to “Beginner Questions”