Executable for konsole

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ahmicul

Executable for konsole

Post by Ahmicul »

Hello

I'm a newbie :)
i want to do a executable file that should open konsole and then run a command in konsole.
Can you please help me ?

Thank you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Executable for konsole

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Ahmicul",

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum !

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

Please be more specific with your request. what type of executable are you trying to run in KDE's console terminal (Konsole), and for what purpose?
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
Ahmicul

Post by Ahmicul »

hello

This are the information regarding my OS
System: Host: cristi-ThinkPad Kernel: 4.4.0-53-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.8.5 (Qt 5.6.1)
Distro: Linux Mint 18.1 Serena
in that executable, i want to open the konsole and run the command " openconnect XXX.domein/group "
after i run that command, it will require user name and password .
That's all i need.
That you
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Ahmicul",

This is an example of a script I have used in my Linux Mint KDE 18.1. Prior to version 18.x, I could just run a script, but this is a technique someone gave me in another post that works.

Code: Select all

konsole -e "/bin/bash -c /home/user69/scripts/2-TeamviewerStop.sh;/bin/bash"
Perhaps you can use the command below or something similar...

exec -cl openconnect XXX.domein/group 
or

konsole exec -cl openconnect XXX.domein/group 
This is what I get when typing in "exec --help"
exec [-cl] [-a name] [command [arguments ...]] [redirection ...]

for more information, type in

exec --help-all
and

man exec
Please let us know what works for you...

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
Ahmicul

Post by Ahmicul »

Thank you very much.
I'm trying to learn how to make it complete.If you have a link where is very good explain it will be great.
I want to have an icon on my desktop, and when i double click on it, to open the console, and run that command .
Have a nice day.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Ahmicul",

You are welcome.

When you create a new desktop or menu item shortcut launcher, the previous commands are what you can put in. You will have to experiment to see which command(s) will work for what you want to do. I use the first one to run a script which does bring up my console ("Konsole") to ask for my password. You could also create a script file with the command you want to run in it, and use the command structure I used to run the script within a shortcut launcher... But, you might also be able to "exec" (execute) the command directly within the shortcut launcher.

You can try these commands to see if they work...

konsole -e "/bin/bash exec -cl openconnect XXX.domein/group"
or

konsole -e "exec -cl openconnect XXX.domein/group"
I do not have a service or place to connect to where I could try your actual "openconnect" command.

You can search the Internet for something like "Linux ubuntu 16.04 KDE bash commands" for more information.

Examples:

Running Bash Commands in the Background the Right Way [Linux]
https://www.maketecheasier.com/run-bash ... und-linux/

General search results for "Linux KDE plasma 5 desktop bash commands"
https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&sa= ... h+commands

KDE Konsole
https://userbase.kde.org/Konsole

Good luck and let us know how you did...

Hope this helps ...
Ahmicul

Post by Ahmicul »

Thank you again
i made big steps ahead. i manage to make the file on my desktop, make it executable.i tried you first option.
something appear for very short time and the close.I think the konsole is opening , make the command and the it close.
I need from the script, that konsole remains open, because i have to introduce user name and pass :)
Have a nice day

Return to “Beginner Questions”