What is my admin password

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
maurolm
Level 1
Level 1

What is my admin password

Post by maurolm »

been using for a couple of days Mint cinnamon 17.2 as a guest OS under VirtualBox created with LiliLive .

running fine and enjoying, now need to install a security package in firefox for my internet banking.

Package Installer asks for the ADMINISTRATIVE password to install it

-what is such password?

-how can I find out my user name and password, as I guess I m into an automatic loggin:
in Terminal:
mint@mint ~ $ whoami
I get:
mint

tks& rgds
Mauro
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
killer de bug

Re: What is my admin password

Post by killer de bug »

It looks like that you didn't install your system in the virtual box. You are running a live edition each time. Which means that if you shutdown the virtual machine, it loses all the settings and all the modifications you made. I have this feeling due to the name of your user. It's the default one for the live session.

I would start by installing the system in the virtual machine. During the process, it will ask for a user name and a password. This password will be your admin password too.
maurolm
Level 1
Level 1

Post by maurolm »

tks
you re right, now I realize I m running a live session. the interesting thing about this Lili Live virtualization software is that whenever I boot, it mounts a 4GB volume where all persistent data is kept, so I don't start from scratch each time.

so my problem continues , how can I install packages and manage other stuff if I don't know neither passwords, my user and the admin??
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

maurolm wrote:tks
you re right, now I realize I m running a live session. the interesting thing about this Lili Live virtualization software is that whenever I boot, it mounts a 4GB volume where all persistent data is kept, so I don't start from scratch each time.

so my problem continues , how can I install packages and manage other stuff if I don't know neither passwords, my user and the admin??
If you are using the live Mint, as user mint, you can install any programs you like, no password necessary.
Try it with this command to install leafpad (a simple text editor)

Code: Select all

sudo apt install leafpad
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
maurolm
Level 1
Level 1

Post by maurolm »

tks,

-leafpad installed ! moving forward, in Download folder I have this file

warsaw_setup_32.deb

how could I try then to install it using terminal commands?

-when I run ACCOUNT DETAILS I get
NAME: live session user
PASSWORD: ......

so it seems there s a password associated to this "live session user" ,
clicking in the password field I get this pop up window to change password ,
1st thing is to inform CURRETN PASSWORD, which I dont know.

is there a way to reset this password?

rgds
Mauro
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

For future reference, you are running a "Persistent Live Session Mint".

For mint@mint the password is just a null-string. Press enter without typing anything...
https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/69

You can set any password you like with the command sudo passwd mint or you can set a unix-filtered password with the command passwd mint
maurolm
Level 1
Level 1

Post by maurolm »

tks, each post I get a better understanding of where I am...

will try to change password tomorrow:

- if I can get it done, will it afect the way whatever auto login is running, as I never type anything to log?

you mentioned 2 alternatives for creating a new password, would you be kind to clarify Unix filtered

rgds
Mauro
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

maurolm wrote: moving forward, in Download folder I have this file

warsaw_setup_32.deb

If you want to do it with terminal, you need to use dpkg, the installer for deb packages.
Here we are:

sudo dpkg -i warsaw_setup_32.deb
The terminal should be opened in the download folder of course.
sudo is for elevated privileges. -i is for install.
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

"clarify Unix filtered" Your first reference for any command-based interaction is the built-in manual pages. In this case...

man passwd
CAVEATS: Password complexity checking may vary from site to site.
If the user mint changes their password, rules are applied to ensure a minimum complexity...
oxo --->You must choose a longer password
!!!aaa ---> New password is too simple

If the user root changes a password, those rules are not applied...
! ---> Password updated successfully
maurolm
Level 1
Level 1

Post by maurolm »

killer de bug wrote:
maurolm wrote: moving forward, in Download folder I have this file

warsaw_setup_32.deb

If you want to do it with terminal, you need to use dpkg, the installer for deb packages.
Here we are:

sudo dpkg -i warsaw_setup_32.deb
The terminal should be opened in the download folder of course.
sudo is for elevated privileges. -i is for install.

done, tks a lot!

found out my user password, it s indeed a string of null chars , as also posted above
so for now my only difficulty remains on how to use SOFTWARE MANAGER , as when I type same null password , it won t accept it...

tks to all that have been kindly helping me
Mauro
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

maurolm wrote:found out my user password, it s indeed a string of null chars , as also posted above
I wonder how you managed to define it.

Open the account detail settings and define a new password, which you can enter (e. g. in the software manager) afterwards.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Cosmo. wrote:I wonder how you managed to define it.
He is on the live session. He has the standard credentials: mint and no password.
maurolm
Level 1
Level 1

Post by maurolm »

Cosmo. wrote:
maurolm wrote:found out my user password, it s indeed a string of null chars , as also posted above
I wonder how you managed to define it.

Open the account detail settings and define a new password, which you can enter (e. g. in the software manager) afterwards.
did as suggested ,changed password -(or at least I think I did , is there a way to check it?)- but when I type same new password to run SOFTWARE MANAGER it says it s incorret . Isn t the password asked to run SOFTWARE MANAGER supposed to be the root one , which I still don t know?

not sure if it s related to the password change , but in FILE MNGT PREF / BEHAVIOR I had set "single click to open .." now it reverted back to double click , clicking the button to change it doesn t work , other buttons under BEHAVIOR also became unresponsive..

tks
Mauro
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

maurolm wrote:Isn t the password asked to run SOFTWARE MANAGER supposed to be the root one , which I still don t know?
No. Software Manager wants your user password. I don't know of any circumstances a user is likely to come upon that would ask for the root password.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
maurolm
Level 1
Level 1

Post by maurolm »

got it ,tks

Return to “Beginner Questions”